+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED SOME ADVICE!!!!!!!!

mesbahul

Oct 6, 2006
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I hope you guys could be of help to me.

A little background about me. I came to the U.S. in 1996 as a student and became out of status two years later and have been out of status ever since. In November 2005, I was caught by immigration official and was given two choices. Either I go back to my country or appear before an immigration judge and fight to stay here. I opted to go before an immigration judge and I filed asylum papers in court in June 2006 and I have another hearing in November 2006. I hope the decision goes my way.

My question to you all is this. In the event, the initial decision goes against me, I will appeal the decision. I have heard that the appeal process can take a few years. If my initial decision goes against me, I am thinking of applying for Canadian Permanent residence as I qualify under the skilled worker class as well as appeal my asylum decision. Can that be possible?

Your thought will be highly appreciated.

mesbahul

Oct 6, 2006
I have some good news. I contacted the Immigration dept of the Canadian Embassy here in New York and explained to them my situation fully. They told me I could apply for Canadian Permanent Residence from New York because I entered the U.S. legally and also maintained my status for one year. Thinking of doing the PNP. Currently looking for employers in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mesbahul said:
I have some good news. I contacted the Immigration dept of the Canadian Embassy here in New York and explained to them my situation fully. They told me I could apply for Canadian Permanent Residence from New York because I entered the U.S. legally and also maintained my status for one year. Thinking of doing the PNP. Currently looking for employers in Canada.
You may wish to read this quote from the CIC web site for those submitting their applicaiton to Buffalo.

"have a legal status in the United States and are submitting your application through the Canadian visa office in Buffalo. Although there is nothing in the Act/Regs other 1 year legal admission. So you take your chances.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/skilled-simple.html

PMM