+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Open Work Permit

richarana

Feb 20, 2010
Hi,
I need to apply for OWP. I am in canada on Temporary Resident Visa that is valid till July2012. Also I had applied for PR this Jan.

Going through few topics here, I got to know that we need AIP before applying for OWP (i am not sure how we get AIP; or is it some kind of acknowledgment that I will be getting once my PR application is acknowledged...not sure).

But going through cic.gc.ca, I understand that since I have my TRV valid for > 6 months and that my spouse is on work permit, I can apply for OWP.

My Question is :- Do I have to care about AIP for submitting my OWP application? or can i do that straight-away?

Thanks,
Richa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Approval in principle or AIP is given to people who are applying inland as a live in caregiver or being sponsored inland as a spouse of a PR. Usually it takes around 6 months after you applied. Are you a live in caregiver and that is how you are applying as a PR? If that is the case, to get an open work permit as a live in caregiver PR applicant, you would have to wait until you get your AIP.

However, if your spouse is on a work permit and is skill level O, A or B, you can apply for an open work permit based on his work permit. To get that, you would not need to have an AIP because it has nothing to do with your PR application, just the status of your spouse.

richarana

Feb 20, 2010
Thanks Leon for the answer.
My husband holds work permit and based on that i've visitor visa which is also valid till June2012.
However i am not able to find out if my Husband skill level falls under O,A,B.
His job title on his work permit says "EMBEDDED SYS SOFTWARE DESIGNER".

And i could not find NOC code or skill level for this Job title.

Could you please help me know the skill level for his work permit?
Thanks,
Richa

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

richarana said:
Thanks Leon for the answer.
My husband holds work permit and based on that i've visitor visa which is also valid till June2012.
However i am not able to find out if my Husband skill level falls under O,A,B.
His job title on his work permit says "EMBEDDED SYS SOFTWARE DESIGNER".

And i could not find NOC code or skill level for this Job title.

Could you please help me know the skill level for his work permit?
Thanks,
Richa

Software designer is NOC 2173 and is skill level A.

PMM

richarana

Feb 20, 2010
Thanks alot PMM for quick help.

One last confusion left is about Labour Market Opinion.
Do i need to get labour market opinion to get open work permit?

Because after reading following CIC website page i felt i need to get LMO.

"Working temporarily in Canada: Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion"

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Richa

richarana

Feb 20, 2010
Re: Need Open Work Permit --- please provide your inputs...thnx

Thanks for all the help. Based on your inputs i had applied for Open Work Permit online on Cic website on date 02-Mar-10.

I paid $150 fees online after which i got online receipt with reference number and got one confirmation email that my application is received.

I am not sure if there is anything pending from my side.

Please advice.

Also is there some cic office or contact number in toronto from where i can track the status of my application.

I had applied 21 days ago so not sure how much more time it would take to get me open work permit.
what is the average time for getting open work permit for my case?
I had applied for open work permit based on my husbands work permit( Skill Level A).

My current visitor visa is valid for 2 more years.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Richa