+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need NOC help for Pharma QA profile

Popat

Star Member
Apr 24, 2017
I am working as Quality Assurance coordinator in Pharmaceuticals since 3 years and I hold masters degree. my job duties are as below:
  • Provide laboratory QA services to the manufacturing and testing laboratories to ensure that the laboratories operations are in compliance with the FDA's Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) regulation and institutional policies.
  • Conduct institutional or collaborating laboratory audits according to Institutional policy documents and data forms, record findings and observations and associated notes.
  • Review new manufacturing and laboratory operations documents (e.g. SOPs, data forms, Master batch records, Product sampling and testing plans) as per the institutional policies and procedures
  • Review completed batch production record and communicate findings to the laboratory staff and the manager.
  • Advice laboratory staff in the implementation of new or changed quality practices, required corrective actions, or identify CAPA
  • Analyze QC tracking data and provide summary analysis reports to the lab managers.
  • Participate in failure, OOS and other investigations
  • Design, build and maintain Manufacturing Quality System database in Microsoft SharePoint.
  • Assist with training programs and provide hands on training to laboratory staff.
I sent an email to NC-NOC-CNP-GD2@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca. I received reply stating I should write Quality assurance in Quick search to find NOC and provided me with search result link : http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/QuickSearch.aspx?ver=16&val65=Quality assurance

This result gives me 7 NOCs. I can easily reject 3 NOCs out of 7.
Remaining 4 NOCs are
  1. NOC 0211 Engineering Manager
  2. NOC 2141 Industrial and Manufacturing Engineers
  3. NOC 2233 Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing technologist and technicians
  4. NOC 2262 Engineering Inspectors and regulatory officers

As per my assessment, I should fall under NOC 2141.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Supersup

Jun 10, 2018
Hello,

Did any one of you figure out the NOC code to be used for pharma quapqua assurance profile. I want to submit my profile as well.

Please help

Dhyan21

Feb 13, 2013
Did anyone find NOC for Pharmaceutical Quality Manager (QA & RA). I am working in this field since last 13years.

Please need help.

Sowmi

Feb 3, 2019
Hi,

Which NOC did you use finally for QA? Did you got the PR?
I am also into Pharmaceutical QA and confused with the NOC. Can anyone please help?

Popat

Star Member
Apr 24, 2017
Hi,

Which NOC did you use finally for QA? Did you got the PR?
I am also into Pharmaceutical QA and confused with the NOC. Can anyone please help?
Just to update everyone,

I used NOC 2141. As I thought this was the close match to my job duties. I also wrote an explanation letter explaining job duties in detail to justify that aligns with job responsibilities mentioned under NOC 2141.
I just received PPR couple of weeks back.

rucbri

Apr 30, 2019
Hi everyone.
I've been following this topic ...
I am not understanding why industrial pharmacists can not use the NOC 3131 if the main duties are described on Canada website as well community pharmacists and hospital pharmacists (patient care).
I have sent an email to PEBC asking: if the inteniton is to work in industry in CA, is it mandatory to apply the evaluation with PEBC?
They anwered: "PEBC conducts document evaluation/credential assessment for applicants wishing to be licensed as pharmacists in Canada. For other professions or careers in the industry not requiring licensure, (thus not requiring NAPRA registration or completion of the PEBC exams)".

So... we can use NOC 3131, can't we?

Popat

Star Member
Apr 24, 2017
Hi everyone.
I've been following this topic ...
I am not understanding why industrial pharmacists can not use the NOC 3131 if the main duties are described on Canada website as well community pharmacists and hospital pharmacists (patient care).
I have sent an email to PEBC asking: if the inteniton is to work in industry in CA, is it mandatory to apply the evaluation with PEBC?
They anwered: "PEBC conducts document evaluation/credential assessment for applicants wishing to be licensed as pharmacists in Canada. For other professions or careers in the industry not requiring licensure, (thus not requiring NAPRA registration or completion of the PEBC exams)".

So... we can use NOC 3131, can't we?
Industrial pharmacist can use NOC 3131, if they performed the duties under 3131.

However, working in the pharmaceutical industry as RA/QA/QC/Product development/R&D (being registered pharmacist or having graduate/undergraduate degree in Pharmacy) doesn't satisfy the requirement of NOC 3131.
i.e. working as QA in pharma industry, I don't check prescription or dispense the product to customers or any other duties mentioned under 3131. Hence, my application would be denied if I submitted application with NOC 3131.

On the other hand, education document evaluation is debatable topic. If you just apply to WES, it should give you equivalency as bachelor's degree. However, If you apply with PEBC, it should give you equivalency as professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession. You will get more CRS points for professional degree compared to bachelor's degree (126 vs 112 with spouse and 135 vs 120 without spouse).

If you education was evaluated as professional degree, you could still claim NOC other than 3131 (provided that your work duties matches the duties under respective NOC other than 3131).

I hope this clarifies.

rucbri

Apr 30, 2019
Industrial pharmacist can use NOC 3131, if they performed the duties under 3131.

However, working in the pharmaceutical industry as RA/QA/QC/Product development/R&D (being registered pharmacist or having graduate/undergraduate degree in Pharmacy) doesn't satisfy the requirement of NOC 3131.
i.e. working as QA in pharma industry, I don't check prescription or dispense the product to customers or any other duties mentioned under 3131. Hence, my application would be denied if I submitted application with NOC 3131.

On the other hand, education document evaluation is debatable topic. If you just apply to WES, it should give you equivalency as bachelor's degree. However, If you apply with PEBC, it should give you equivalency as professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession. You will get more CRS points for professional degree compared to bachelor's degree (126 vs 112 with spouse and 135 vs 120 without spouse).

If you education was evaluated as professional degree, you could still claim NOC other than 3131 (provided that your work duties matches the duties under respective NOC other than 3131).

I hope this clarifies.
@Popat
I got your point but disagree. The NOC 3131 also describes the main duties of industrial pharmacists. Look:

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=3131&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

Main duties

Industrial pharmacists perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Participate in research for the development of new drugs (Product development / R&D)
  • Formulate new drug products developed by medical researchers (Product development / R&D)
  • Test new drug products for stability and to determine absorption and elimination patterns (R&D)
  • Co-ordinate clinical investigations of new drugs (RA / R&D)
  • Control the quality of drug products during production to ensure that they meet standards of potency, purity, uniformity, stability and safety (QC)
  • Develop information materials concerning the uses, properties and risks of particular drugs (RA)
  • Evaluate labelling, packaging and advertising of drug products (QA)
  • Promote pharmaceutical products to health professionals.

Summarizing....
NOC 3131 describe main duties of industrial pharmacist
PEBC told me (by email) that it's not necessary evaluate by PEBC if the intention is working as industrial pharmacists.

I haven't understood (really) why industrial pharmacists that prove experience in pharmaceutical companies can't use NOC 3131.

I haven't apply for EE yet, but based in these informations and my experience in industry (10 years) I intend evaluate by IQAS and use NOC 3131....

Please, let me know your point of view... :)

Reactions: Sadagoban VR

Popat

Star Member
Apr 24, 2017
@Popat
I got your point but disagree. The NOC 3131 also describes the main duties of industrial pharmacists. Look:

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=3131&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

Main duties

Industrial pharmacists perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Participate in research for the development of new drugs (Product development / R&D)
  • Formulate new drug products developed by medical researchers (Product development / R&D)
  • Test new drug products for stability and to determine absorption and elimination patterns (R&D)
  • Co-ordinate clinical investigations of new drugs (RA / R&D)
  • Control the quality of drug products during production to ensure that they meet standards of potency, purity, uniformity, stability and safety (QC)
  • Develop information materials concerning the uses, properties and risks of particular drugs (RA)
  • Evaluate labelling, packaging and advertising of drug products (QA)
  • Promote pharmaceutical products to health professionals.

Summarizing....
NOC 3131 describe main duties of industrial pharmacist
PEBC told me (by email) that it's not necessary evaluate by PEBC if the intention is working as industrial pharmacists.

I haven't understood (really) why industrial pharmacists that prove experience in pharmaceutical companies can't use NOC 3131.

I haven't apply for EE yet, but based in these informations and my experience in industry (10 years) I intend evaluate by IQAS and use NOC 3131....

Please, let me know your point of view... :)
I got your point but onus is on applicant to prove that applicant's job duties closely matches the claimed NOC.

I would rather argue that PD/R&D/QC (below manager level) matches more closely to NOC 2112. (I also agree that it matches NOC 3131 to some extent)
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=2112&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getVD&MLV=4&TVD=122372

In fact, when I searched for QA related NOC 2 years back, I contacted couple of QA professional (who went through immigration) within Canada. They recommended me to use NOC 2112 as their immigration lawyers used it for their application. Somehow, I wasn't convinced with that, as I believed my duties matched closely to NOC 2141 (even though it matched 2112 to some extent) and so I used NOC 2141 with proper explanation that why I think this is the closest match to my job duties. Everything went well for me.

If you think you could justify and convince the reviewing officer with detailed explanation letter, you should try NOC 3131.
If I were you, I would rather review all related NOCs and claim the one with substantial number of main duties matches to my job duties.

kakarala

Jul 11, 2019
@Popat

Firstly, congrats.

I work as Validation/quality engineer for a medical device manufacturing client and have similar job responsibilities as yours.
But, I hold Masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences and I am confused choosing between codes 3131 (Industrial Pharmacist) and 2141. Please provide your inputs.
And, What is your specialization in Masters?

Last edited:

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
Hi guys, I am currently working as a Product Manager in a pharmaceutical company with my academic background is Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. I have plan to be licensed pharmacist once I settle down in Canada, already sent Document evaluation to PEBC, and also request ECA. Meanwhile, I will just use my WES report to create EE first and wait for the ECA from PEBC later. Should I go with 3131 or 0124 (Manager in marketing)?
Thanks a lot.