+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need information on common law immigration

canada2go

Jul 16, 2006
Hi
I am a canadian permanent currently living in the U.S. I lived in Canada for 2 years and moved to India for a year to take care of an ailing relative. Now currently in the U.S. I plan to move back to canada soon. My gay partner lives in India and I want to sponsor him. We have been in a relationship for almost 3 years.

Questions
1. Do I have to be in Canada in order to sponsor him? Can I do it from the U.S. or India?
2. How long does it take to get spousal visa?
3. His family is against his gay orientation and subject him to constant beatings and planning to get him married off to a woman. Is there a way in India to claim canadian asylum based on physical abuse?

Thanks

kumar

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada2go said:
Hi
I am a canadian permanent currently living in the U.S. I lived in Canada for 2 years and moved to India for a year to take care of an ailing relative. Now currently in the U.S. I plan to move back to canada soon. My gay partner lives in India and I want to sponsor him. We have been in a relationship for almost 3 years.

Questions
1. Do I have to be in Canada in order to sponsor him? Can I do it from the U.S. or India?
2. How long does it take to get spousal visa?
3. His family is against his gay orientation and subject him to constant beatings and planning to get him married off to a woman. Is there a way in India to claim canadian asylum based on physical abuse?

Thanks

kumar
1. Yes as a PR you need to be in Canada
2. new dehli takes 3-6 mths on average
3. Good news the process is a max 6 mths however you can apply as conjugal

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:
You have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least 1 year;
You have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
An immigration barrier;
Your marital status (e.g., you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible); OR
Your sexual orientation (e.g., you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live);
You can provide evidence of an impediment to living together (e.g., evidence of refused long-term stays in each other's country).