+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need info, sponsor from D.R

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Hi,

I am 28 years old, have been living in the Dominican Republic for the past 5 years, I do not own a residency in D.R but I have been passing most of my time here while travelling to other place at the same time.

I have been with my girlfriend for over the past 2 years, and we just had a baby.

I am doing good financially, have good amount of money in my bank accounts in Canada & DR but do not own any property at the moment or declare anything in Canada, since my
job/work is not taxable and I do not live there. My situation is something you dont see everyday since I play poker profesionally, my girlfriend doesnt have great income.

I was wondering what would be the best to way to go in my situation, when I get married will Canada approve that I sponsor my wife even if im not active in Canada and beside bank's account I do not own/declare nothing in Canada?

What about a travelling visa for her, would that be doable if I do not plan on going back living in Canada but would love that she could travel with me and my baby over there?

Thanks for the help,

Jean

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Many people dont live in canada and sponsor their spouses. Completely normal. As a matter of fact if youve been living together for at least 12 months and can prove it you can apply as common law now!

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
What about incomes, you have any idea if I need to be declaring a certain amount every year?

Thanks!

Last edited:

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
What about incomes, you have any idea if I need to be declaring a certain amount every year?

Thanks!
Youll need to prove your income. For me i provided a notice of assessment and a letter of employment. Do you still file taxes with cra?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was wondering what would be the best to way to go in my situation, when I get married will Canada approve that I sponsor my wife even if im not active in Canada and beside bank's account I do not own/declare nothing in Canada?

What about a travelling visa for her, would that be doable if I do not plan on going back living in Canada but would love that she could travel with me and my baby over there?
Hi

In order to sponsor your spouse, you must prove that you will be moving to Canada when the app is approved. If you have no intention of returning to live in Canada, there is no point in applying.

She should apply for a TRV if you guys want to visit Canada.

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Hi

In order to sponsor your spouse, you must prove that you will be moving to Canada when the app is approved. If you have no intention of returning to live in Canada, there is no point in applying.

She should apply for a TRV if you guys want to visit Canada.
If she doesnt have good income, would they give her a TRV? I heard it's tough from the D.R that they do not give them to people that doesnt own houses, car etc under there name. A TRV would be ideal for us right now, but im willing to go back to back to Canada if I need to.

Also fwiw, im from Quebec, in case that change anything.

Thanks for the help

jeanchris

Jun 1, 2017
Youll need to prove your income. For me i provided a notice of assessment and a letter of employment. Do you still file taxes with cra?
I did not fill any taxes over the past 7 years.

I have a very good amount of money, over 6 digits in Canadian's bank, but all my incomes are from Poker wich is consider a form of gambling and not taxable in Canada, so honnestly I have no idea how that would work out for us.

So technically I am more capable to provide for my spouse and children, but on paper I am not sure Canada would see it the same way.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
You may want to check with an immigration consultant or lawyer to see if you have any options. Im not 100% sure what they are.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If she doesnt have good income, would they give her a TRV? I heard it's tough from the D.R that they do not give them to people that doesnt own houses, car etc under there name. A TRV would be ideal for us right now, but im willing to go back to back to Canada if I need to.

Also fwiw, im from Quebec, in case that change anything.

Thanks for the help
As you are a couple, she can show your joint finances. She needs to show strong ties to her home country; she should also show strong ties for you to DR, as this shows that her Canadian partner is not actually a tie to Canada. Have a look at different TRV threads to get an idea of what documents to submit.

Being from Quebec doesn't make a difference.