+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need info regarding expired PR card.

*Falcon

Apr 12, 2023
Hi. I am a Canadian living in France temporarily with my wife who is from France. She hold a PR card that expired in 2021. Last year we tried to travel to Canada to visit family and because her card was expired she applied for a visitor visa. The response she received from them was that she was not eligible for a visa since she had a PR card and since it was expired she only had 2 choices. 1- to renounce he PR status or Prove that she met the 2 year requirement stay in Canada. At that point she was not and still not able to travel to Canada. We really do not want to cancel her PR status if at all possible since as you know the time and cost it took to get it. As mentioned, I am Canadian by birth and we have been married for over 20 years. My question. Is there any way to get the card renewed if we have a valid reason for not being able to renew it on time? Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Ray

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ray,

She cannot apply to renew her PR Card unless she is in Canada. She would need to apply for a PRTD.

Here's the good news:
Since she has been accompanying you, the days that she's spent abroad with you should count towards the Residency Obligation that is required to maintain PR status. As long as a PR is accompanying their Canadian spouse (in her case), the days count. If you were NOT a Canadian citizen, they would not.

She can apply for a PRTD online, but there are more than a few people reporting weird glitches/errors, that ultimately resolve themselves.

Read through the instruction guide for the PRTD and come back to ask questions.

Reactions: Kayne

*Falcon

Apr 12, 2023
Thanks for the info. That is good news. Have been trying to find answers regarding this issue since last year and have not been able to get in contact with anyone in the government since then. I read up on this and that is the way i understood as well but some people told me that the Canadian spouse had to be working outside the country for the days to be counted. Will get started on the PRTD and get back to you with the results. Thanks again. Regards, Ray.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info. That is good news. Have been trying to find answers regarding this issue since last year and have not been able to get in contact with anyone in the government since then. I read up on this and that is the way i understood as well but some people told me that the Canadian spouse had to be working outside the country for the days to be counted. Will get started on the PRTD and get back to you with the results. Thanks again. Regards, Ray.
The only requirement is that the PR is accompanying the Canadian spouse abroad. No mention of whether or not the Canadian must be working, at least not that I'm aware of.

Maybe you're thinking of a PR of Canada that's working abroad for a Canadian employer, that has sponsored a spouse? I believe in that case, it may be a different scenario. Maybe?

Reactions: Kayne