+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hi Folks!
I have a question. After I passed the court I will apply pr with my husband. But the thing is he is working for their consulate. He is on contract. Does anyone know after we applied for pr can he stay in Canada legally during the process? Because he wants to resign. Thanks a lot.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi Folks!
I have a question. After I passed the court I will apply pr with my husband. But the thing is he is working for their consulate. He is on contract. Does anyone know after we applied for pr can he stay in Canada legally during the process? Because he wants to resign. Thanks a lot.
which consulate? Canadian or Country of persecution?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Of course I can not. Why it's important? He is not going to do refugee claim.
The fact that your husband is working for your country’s government can be a huge issue for your asylum claim. It becomes much more difficult to say your spouse fears for their life if he works in the consulate which is essentially spending your working hours in Turkey and working for the Turkish government. Does the consulate know that you are married? Sounds like he works for the Turkish consulate. Did you both move near together as diplomats/foreign service workers? Have you advised your lawyer about your spouse’s job?

Reactions: itzdrmac

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
The fact that your husband is working for your country’s government can be a huge issue for your asylum claim. It becomes much more difficult to say your spouse fears for their life if he works in the consulate which is essentially spending your working hours in Turkey and working for the Turkish government. Does the consulate know that you are married? Sounds like he works for the Turkish consulate. Did you both move near together as diplomats/foreign service workers? Have you advised your lawyer about your spouse’s job?
Hi. Thank you. He is not from Turkey and he is not working for Turkish Consulate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. Thank you. He is not from Turkey and he is not working for Turkish Consulate.
Sorry based on your previous posts it sounded like you were from Turkey. Are you both from the same country and is he currently working for the consulate in Canada? Is your lawyer aware of this?

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Sorry based on your previous posts it sounded like you were from Turkey. Are you both from the same country and is he currently working for the consulate in Canada? Is your lawyer aware of this?
Thank you. No problem . İ am from Turkey but he is from different country and he is working for their consulate. No, my lawyer didn't say anything negative about it. He is not from Turkey and he is not working for Turkish government.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. No problem . İ am from Turkey but he is from different country and he is working for their consulate. No, my lawyer didn't say anything negative about it. He is not from Turkey and he is not working for Turkish government.
Ok the fact that you are from different countries helps. Is he from a country that is LGBTQIA+ friendly?

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
If he leaves his job at the consulate he will be living in Canada illegally. Does he have a diplomatic passport?
He has a service passport. I heard that if he has a diplomatic passport it is really difficult. Do you know about that service passport holder can stay legally after apply pr?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He has a service passport. I heard that if he has a diplomatic passport it is really difficult. Do you know about that service passport holder can stay legally after apply pr?
The issue is that your spouse wouldn’t actually be applying for PR. You apply for PR after being approved as a protected person while including your dependents on your application. They only start the process of getting PR after you’ve been approved. They can try to switch to a visitor status after leaving their job but that isn’t guaranteed and consulates or embassies are pretty strict in making their employees return home when they leave their jobs because there is an understanding between countries that their employees will follow the immigration rules of the host country. How long is the posting? I would personally work as long as possible to be able to support yourselves in Canada and remain in status. If you are a visitor or without status you won’t have access to healthcare (assume you are in Ottawa).

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow