File Transfer...
14-04-16
Med's Done....
17-12-15
Passport Req..
10-06-16
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-16
Hi. I will be sponsoring my common law partner in January hopefully if not February. We are so confused on getting things notarized, or proof from family and if they have to be notarized. If photocopies have to be even if they are in English. My mom will be writing a letter for us but her English isnt good, so her friend will be writing it. She back in Canada while im living in Scotland and I dont know where to direct her to get it notarized since i dont even know where to get it in Scotland. Sorry basically my question is where do i get things notarized or by who, how many things need to be notarized in total including photocopies. Some documents dont open on my computer so i know that im missing information because I cant find anything about getting this notarized. Sorry if its a stupid question, were just confused. Were only 20 and this is our first time doing this. Any help will do on what we need to prove for common law relationship applying outland from Scotland.

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
Hello tina19,

Let me know if I miss any of your questions.

We are so confused on getting things notarized, or proof from family and if they have to be notarized. If photocopies have to be even if they are in English.
If the documents are in English or French then there is no need to get that document notarized. The checklist will say if a document needs to be notarized. If a document is NOT in English or French, you still need to provide a certified translation. More information can be found here. That FAQ has lots of useful information which may help you.

My mom will be writing a letter for us but her English isnt good, so her friend will be writing it
Is this letter in the form of a letter supporting your relationship? I would suggest asking your mom to write it, not a friend of hers. The letter does not have to be long or complex, so long as it mentions when your mom met your partner, if you both lived with her, and if so from when to when, etc. Is there a specific reason you want to include a letter from your mom? This may help in my response.

She back in Canada while im living in Scotland and I dont know where to direct her to get it notarized since i dont even know where to get it in Scotland
As above, there is no need for it to be notarized unless stated by CIC.

Some documents dont open on my computer so i know that im missing information because I cant find anything about getting this notarized
Which documents? Rather than clicking and opening them through your browser you should right click the link to the form and click Save Link As or Save Target As. This will save it to your computer and use the installed Adobe reader rather than whatever version your browser uses and is more compatible.

Were only 20 and this is our first time doing this. Any help will do on what we need to prove for common law relationship applying outland from Scotland.
Okay, the first thing to do is go to this page. It has most of the information you need to apply for PR via outland and for the other stuff you have the best resource around - this forum.

I recommend you read through that page and the necessary pages it links to, to get a feel for what is involved.

You will see that the page I linked to has 3 parts.

Part 1 is for the sponsor, these forms need to be filled out by the person sponsoring the applicant.
Part 2 is for the applicant, these forms need to be filled out by the person/people being sponsored.
Part 3 is for the applicant and these forms describe what to include in the application based on the applicant(s) location. As your applicant is in Scotland you would use the Western Europe form for Part 3.

Part 1 and Part 2 each have a guide which will tell you how to fill in the forms. As I said before if you get stuck you can always ask on here.

Some tips:

• The versions of the forms change from time to time, so before you send off your application make sure you have the latest version (the application page lists the version beside the form)
  • Keep an exact copy of the application you send in case CIC lose a document. This happens far too often.
  • Include an email address for the sponsor and the applicant as this will result in quicker communication

I think that is enough info for you to go on just now but let me know if you need anything clarified!

tina19

Star Member
Jun 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-16
AOR Received.
O2-04-16
File Transfer...
14-04-16
Med's Done....
17-12-15
Passport Req..
10-06-16
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-16
Wow this is beyond amazing. Thank you for the help. This has answered a lot of my question. The reason my mom was writing the letter was to support our relationship. We have my mom writing it which I am the sponsor and we have his mom writing a letter for us to, Him being the applicant. I was told we need to have a minimum of 2 statutory of declaration and that they need to be notarized thats why im getting confused. Plus I heard it needs to be sworn in front of someone. Im getting confused about getting letters from our family to support our relationship and then the statutory declaration. Were only getting a max of three letters cause no one else can write them.

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
Yes, because you are applying common-law you need to provide at least 2 statutory declarations.

From the guide:

Guide 3901e said:
and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal
knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.
Link to the guide

As well as the above 2 (or more) stat decs you can have letters of support from friends and family - these do not have to be a statutory declaration.

Hope this helps!

tina19

Star Member
Jun 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-16
AOR Received.
O2-04-16
File Transfer...
14-04-16
Med's Done....
17-12-15
Passport Req..
10-06-16
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-16
Sorry for the late replay. Thank you for answering back. Were hoping to have 4 letter now which two will be statutory declaration that you mentioned. Hopefully my last question I have is how do we do the statutory declaration. Do they write it in front of someone who then signs it or do they write the letter then go to an office and they look it over and sign it. So sorry if its a stupid question. I just really dont know how the statutory declaration work and what professional signs it. Thank you for all your help.