+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with full time status

altay412

Apr 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a question about my friend who is an international student at the University of Victoria. She's almost finishing her degree now (it's not her last semester) and she's in 4 classes. Unlike many other universities, UVic's definition of full time enrolment for international students is taking minimum 4 classes, not 3. She is struggling heavily in one of her classes, and needs to drop it. However, she can't add another class after this point so she'd be in 3 classes. She was in 4 classes in the fall term and 2 classes in the summer. My question is if they would count the classes she took in the summer if she took 3 classes this term. I know that if we take 3 classes in one semester and 5 in the other, they're fine with it since it's 8 classes in a year. In this case my concern is the fact that she took those 2 classes in the summer, and I'm not sure if they count the summer term as a regular academic session or not. Also would the classes she took in 2021 summer save her 2022 spring term in this way? It would be like 2 + 4 +3. But this is the summer before, she can't take classes next summer. We're really confused and we need urgent help since the drop deadline is tomorrow and the university services are closed.

A statement on UVic's website: "For the purpose of having the privilege to work while studying or apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) as an international student, you must remain full-time continuously during your regular academic sessions except for the final term or an authorized leave. It is your responsibility to make sure you are eligible and have proper work authorization before starting a job."

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a question about my friend who is an international student at the University of Victoria. She's almost finishing her degree now (it's not her last semester) and she's in 4 classes. Unlike many other universities, UVic's definition of full time enrolment for international students is taking minimum 4 classes, not 3. She is struggling heavily in one of her classes, and needs to drop it. However, she can't add another class after this point so she'd be in 3 classes. She was in 4 classes in the fall term and 2 classes in the summer. My question is if they would count the classes she took in the summer if she took 3 classes this term. I know that if we take 3 classes in one semester and 5 in the other, they're fine with it since it's 8 classes in a year. In this case my concern is the fact that she took those 2 classes in the summer, and I'm not sure if they count the summer term as a regular academic session or not. Also would the classes she took in 2021 summer save her 2022 spring term in this way? It would be like 2 + 4 +3. But this is the summer before, she can't take classes next summer. We're really confused and we need urgent help since the drop deadline is tomorrow and the university services are closed.

A statement on UVic's website: "For the purpose of having the privilege to work while studying or apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) as an international student, you must remain full-time continuously during your regular academic sessions except for the final term or an authorized leave. It is your responsibility to make sure you are eligible and have proper work authorization before starting a job."
She must remain in the 4 classes.