+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with canadian passport

eshan72

Jan 23, 2017
Hello everyone,
I just received my citizenship certificate and i was gonna apply for canadian passport but i have one question regarding name. In my indian passport i only had given name, so in citizenship application i wrote my whole name as my family name. When i apply for canadian passport, where should i write my name?

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
You have mention exactly as its mentioned in your certificate, meaning your given name will be blank and the your family name will now have the full name

if you wish to change to a legal name change in the province you are, after that apply for new citizenship certificate, then apply for the new passport

your current passport will have given name as XXX
and last name will be your full name
thats a canada rule,

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Yes I am in this exact process, I have done legal name change, now waiting for legal name change cert. Then I will apply for citzenship cert, then passport.

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi
One suggestion take the passport with the current name meaning Given Name XXX last name as your full name as it is.

- Once you get passport apply for name change
- Once your name change is done apply for new certificate
- Once you get it re apply for new passport

This way atleast you will have proof of canadian citizenship and you can travel also if you like anywhere.

If you apply for name change now, and dont get a passport, you cant apply for passport on old name after name change, technically your name is changed they wont give you a passport, because your drivers license and wont match then, after name change.

Then you will have to apply for citizenship cert, you will be left with no proof of ID as a canadian citizen because you have to send your original citizenship certificate, for getting the new certificate in the new corrected name.

The process of name change takes about 8 weeks, or so, if you are lucky, meaning all is in order, else more time back and forth, then change name on drivers license, another 2 - 4 weeks, then about 5 months (now more due to COVID to get new certificate), then apply passport under new name.

I have sent my citizenship cert application its been almost 6 months no receipt or AOR till now, i am assuming it will take about a year or so, looking at current timelines.

Luckily i had my canadian passport, because an ID for canadian citizenship was needed for my course, i had my passport to prove that and my name change document, so i had no impact, i used my corrected name and moved on.

Hope this helps.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Hi
One suggestion take the passport with the current name meaning Given Name XXX last name as your full name as it is.

- Once you get passport apply for name change
- Once your name change is done apply for new certificate
- Once you get it re apply for new passport

This way atleast you will have proof of canadian citizenship and you can travel also if you like anywhere.

If you apply for name change now, and dont get a passport, you cant apply for passport on old name after name change, technically your name is changed they wont give you a passport, because your drivers license and wont match then, after name change.

Then you will have to apply for citizenship cert, you will be left with no proof of ID as a canadian citizen because you have to send your original citizenship certificate, for getting the new certificate in the new corrected name.

The process of name change takes about 8 weeks, or so, if you are lucky, meaning all is in order, else more time back and forth, then change name on drivers license, another 2 - 4 weeks, then about 5 months (now more due to COVID to get new certificate), then apply passport under new name.

I have sent my citizenship cert application its been almost 6 months no receipt or AOR till now, i am assuming it will take about a year or so, looking at current timelines.

Luckily i had my canadian passport, because an ID for canadian citizenship was needed for my course, i had my passport to prove that and my name change document, so i had no impact, i used my corrected name and moved on.

Hope this helps.
If you apply for name change now, and dont get a passport, you cant apply for passport on old name after name change, technically your name is changed they wont give you a passport, because your drivers license and wont match then, after name change. I have already applied for name change but not passport. My driver's license has my name in the correct order since I have been in Canada, Thank God! Right now I can possibly still apply with old name because I have cad citz. cert. and SIN still in wrong order. I have to wait for name change now another 4 weeks and then apply for new cit. cert. then passport.

I have sent my citizenship cert application its been almost 6 months no receipt or AOR till now, i am assuming it will take about a year or so, looking at current timelines. - Did you get a cit cert. after your oath? or are you applying for new one?