Waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2010
LANDED..........
13-01-2011
Hello,

I am immigrating to St.John's, Newfoundland in the next 4 days, but it would be nice to be able to work while studying as soon as I get there. I used to work in various fields but the better work experience was to work as an administrative assistant for 2.5 years from Thailand, but this company was American and was about merchandising and sourcing company. I also studied and possessed "Certificate of Secretarial Studies" from Australia, which may be helpful for my previous work experience as I am going to change my career and study in healthcare field in St.John's.

I do not mind working in the same field from Mon to Fri if I could be employed in St.John's while studying in ESL, any upgrading & college in the evening/on weekend. I also think if I will probably go to any survival jobs such as cleaners, waitresses, etc whilst studying those. Here are my questions;

1) Could you please advise if it were you, what would you choose and do when changing a career plan, especially in St.John's?

2) Are there any free service places that help landed immigrants for workshops, training and find employment apart from AXIS program?

3) According to 2), I am not sure if YMCA in St.John's is able to help all needs for landed immigrants? From my research, there are a couple of free services available in some areas for landed immigrants only such as recreation and childcare in St.John's (no English offered), but I would like to know if there are any free service places that can provide all kinds of needs for immigrants such as LINC/ESL, Work, Recreation, etc in one place.

4) Due to high unemployment rate in Newfoundland, would it be difficult to find a job there? How long does it normally take for landed immigrants to find job in St.John's?

5) To work in the same field while studying, could anyone can help me to find this work? I know that networking is quite important in Canada and many jobs are not posting publicly.

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, but I am extremely eager to work and study at the same time while my husband is mostly away.

Thank you

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nfd as you mentioned has a higher unemployment rate (some of the highest). The province while beautiful, has very rough winters and doesn't have the same amount of varied industry. Many people find they have to take seasonal work and then go on EI to help supplement their income. The East Coast has typically been a more difficult place to find varied employment while New Brunswick has done a great job at bringing a number of call centres into the province to help their employment situation.

annieann13

Star Member
Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2010
AOR Received.
09-07-2010
File Transfer...
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
02-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2010
LANDED..........
13-01-2011
Thanks for you reply, Canadian Career Coach.

What if I study in healthcare field like a support worker/aides care. Is it still difficult to find a job? What if I graduate there and I will probably gain my work experience in other provinces? Would that help?

I have no choice due to my husband's job located there, so I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for your advice

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any services that cater to the aging population is a good bet. In-home elder care, home support services etc would be a good Health Care avenue to pursue. I know a number of retiree's that make the East (and West) Coast their retirement locations, so I think you're on the right track.

annieann13

Star Member
Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2010
AOR Received.
09-07-2010
File Transfer...
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
02-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2010
LANDED..........
13-01-2011
Canadian Career Coach said:
Any services that cater to the aging population is a good bet. In-home elder care, home support services etc would be a good Health Care avenue to pursue. I know a number of retiree's that make the East (and West) Coast their retirement locations, so I think you're on the right track.
Thank you :)