+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help to extend stay in Canada after PGWP expires and 5 months pregnant!!!

Gunwel

Oct 23, 2017
Hi,
I am so confused on how to extend my status here after my Stay expires. I came to Canada in 2012 and have taken a 2 year diploma program in Tourism and graduated in 2015 january from the Vancouver Island University. After Graduation I applied for PGWP and received 3 years of stay in Canada. At the same year I got married in my home country and had to move to Turkey due to my husband's work and lived there until the september of 2017. While I was there I applied for jobs in Canada and got a job offer (ranked as Level C of NOC) and decided to come back to Canada again.
Now I am here working for already a month and my PGWP is expiring in April 2018 and I would like to find out the best way to extend my stay. I am also 5 months pregnant and want to give birth in Canada to my baby. My child will be born in March so, one month prior my PGWP expries! I would like to stay in Canada and return back to work after maternity leave and build a career at the company I work in if I can find a way to extend my stay. I am really confused and worried about what is the best way to extend my stay as an international graduate. I have been doing lots of research but havent found anything that answers my questions. I haven't completed 12 months of full time work in Canada yet and therefore, am not sure if I would be eligible to apply for PR now? Is there a good way for me to extend my stay here?
I really appreciate all help and advices!
Thank you!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no obvious / easy path unfortunately.

Your PGWP cannot be extended. To stay and work longer as a temporary worker, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process typically takes 4-6 months to complete (with no guarantee of success).

Unfortunately NOC C work experience does not qualify you for either FSW/Express Entry or Canadian Experience Class. It's possible you may qualify for PR under PNP. I would recommend you look into the provincial nomination program of the province where you are working.

Reactions: Supercanadian

Gunwel

Oct 23, 2017
There's no obvious / easy path unfortunately.

Your PGWP cannot be extended. To stay and work longer as a temporary worker, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process typically takes 4-6 months to complete (with no guarantee of success).

Unfortunately NOC C work experience does not qualify you for either FSW/Express Entry or Canadian Experience Class. It's possible you may qualify for PR under PNP. I would recommend you look into the provincial nomination program of the province where you are working.
Than

Thank you very much for your response!

I will look into it. But as far I know Even with the PNP program I need to have 12 months of full time work experience in the field I work in. I am afraid I will not be able to complete the 12 months before my permit expiry. I was wondering if the hours I worked in Canada before leaving would add up to my current work hours.

Thanks again for your help!

newbutterfly

Star Member
May 31, 2016
Inland
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you work while in Turkey? if you have one year of work experience from Turkey in a NOC A or B occupation, you could apply under the federal skilled worker category. After you apply, you could use your AOR from the federal skilled worker application to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.

Reactions: Supercanadian

Sara92

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Edmotnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mostly are not able to get pr. You will do not have 12 months of expierience before your work permit expire. They will only see that you comeback here being in 4 months of pregnant to give i birth here.

Gunwel

Oct 23, 2017
Mostly are not able to get pr. You will do not have 12 months of expierience before your work permit expire. They will only see that you comeback here being in 4 months of pregnant to give i birth here.
Thank you for your response. I came here for work and want to try to extend my stay before expiry. My personal life brought me back to Canada and not the birth of my baby. I dont think they can assume something like that since there is no indication of me being pregnant when I apply for an extension...

Sara92

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Edmotnon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes i understand but in next 2-3 months you will be not able to work for another 1yr or so so why they should extend your permit if you are not able to work? I dont have a clue what to do if you can, go and talk with immigration lawyer. Propaly they will provide safety way to get pr. Beter safe than sorry hope you will find the way

Ranabrar

Jul 18, 2016
Hi,
I need help to extend my status here after my Stay expires. I came to Canada in 2017 and have take 1 year post graduate diploma in project management and got diploma in Dec 2018 and start working with an employer from jan 2019 as STORE MANAGER(NOC 0) to till date, but i got my pgwp in April 2019 to April 2020.
i have letter from employer for work permit on same designation for another 1 year till april 2021.but my PGWP will expire on April 2020. But should i do to extend my stay.
Brief history of my previous study and work( i am from india and have done Bachelor of technology( wes is clear with four year degree) and having two year foreign work experience ( 2 year in india).and having IELTS SCORE L-8,R-8,W-7,S-6.5.
Kindly guide.