+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Need help] Spouse Sponsorship for PR

leoseira

Nov 14, 2021
Hi everyone, I hope I can get some information and guidance for my case.

I got my COPR on May 2022 and just came to Ontario this month, my wife is still back home.

We have not got married on paper because I applied as single for PR back then.

My wife will come to Canada by the end of 2022 as international student, we already paid all the fees and she is getting her biometrics next week.

My questions are:
- Can I sponsor her right away (after officially getting married) and what are the procedures for that?
- As she will become my dependent, will there be any chance she will get domestic tuition fee?

Your advises and supports are highly welcomed and appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I hope I can get some information and guidance for my case.

I got my COPR on May 2022 and just came to Ontario this month, my wife is still back home.

We have not got married on paper because I applied as single for PR back then.

My wife will come to Canada by the end of 2022 as international student, we already paid all the fees and she is getting her biometrics next week.

My questions are:
- Can I sponsor her right away (after officially getting married) and what are the procedures for that?
- As she will become my dependent, will there be any chance she will get domestic tuition fee?

Your advises and supports are highly welcomed and appreciated.

Thank in advance.
So are you married or not because you say wife? And she has yet to be approved for a study permit so a refusal is possible. Did she apply as married or single?

1. If you aren’t married, you can get married and sponsor her right away.
2. Once she is a PR, she pays domestic fees. Takes 14-16 months.

leoseira

Nov 14, 2021
So are you married or not because you say wife? And she has yet to be approved for a study permit so a refusal is possible. Did she apply as married or single?

1. If you aren’t married, you can get married and sponsor her right away.
2. Once she is a PR, she pays domestic fees. Takes 14-16 months.
She applied as single and we are going to get married as soon as she gets here.

So even if she is married here there is no way we can get discounted school fee right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She applied as single and we are going to get married as soon as she gets here.

So even if she is married here there is no way we can get discounted school fee right?
No she can’t pay domestic fees with just submitting an application…only once she is a PR. You keep saying your ”wife”, why?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh okay thank you so much. When she gets here and get sponsored, can she apply for OWP then?
Once she has AOR after applying for sponsorship, she can apply for an OWP. Estimate 8-12 months for getting AOR and then applying for and being approved for a work permit. Focus on her study permit right now. She needs to show education and career advancement in home country, her own funds and ties to home country.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you marry as soon as you arrive, this may red flag your file. It may be seen as a marriage of convenience. You want proof you have been together for a long time. Why do you call her your wife if she is not?

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
If you marry as soon as you arrive, this may red flag your file. It may be seen as a marriage of convenience. You want proof you have been together for a long time. Why do you call her your wife if she is not?
No, not necesarily. A lot of people have to do it this way. For me, I applied as single but it took six years to get here under the Québec worker program. By the time I met my wife, I was in my final year of processing. As soon as I got COPR, we chose to get engaged as marriage and spousal sponsorship was the only way to stay together. In fact, we had to declare our intentions at the border to the CBSA agent. He looked at my COPR and said it was a good thing I didn't get married yet or I would have to declare her and send the COPR back. What IRCC wants to see is a development of a relationship. If you meet your partner one month before landing or after PPR comes, that could look strange. But if you were together for a good amount of time, dating, meeting each other's families, etc....it's not uncommon to postpone marriage until after PR landing to avoid complications. Actually, this might show you are legally trying to do the right thing as some people marry, don't inform IRCC and then land as single which is misrepresentation and blacklists the other person

leoseira

Nov 14, 2021
Once she has AOR after applying for sponsorship, she can apply for an OWP. Estimate 8-12 months for getting AOR and then applying for and being approved for a work permit. Focus on her study permit right now. She needs to show education and career advancement in home country, her own funds and ties to home country.
No, not necesarily. A lot of people have to do it this way. For me, I applied as single but it took six years to get here under the Québec worker program. By the time I met my wife, I was in my final year of processing. As soon as I got COPR, we chose to get engaged as marriage and spousal sponsorship was the only way to stay together. In fact, we had to declare our intentions at the border to the CBSA agent. He looked at my COPR and said it was a good thing I didn't get married yet or I would have to declare her and send the COPR back. What IRCC wants to see is a development of a relationship. If you meet your partner one month before landing or after PPR comes, that could look strange. But if you were together for a good amount of time, dating, meeting each other's families, etc....it's not uncommon to postpone marriage until after PR landing to avoid complications. Actually, this might show you are legally trying to do the right thing as some people marry, don't inform IRCC and then land as single which is misrepresentation and blacklists the other person
Yeah, we actually engaged and have all the pictures of celebrations about 5-6 months ago, but that time I was already invited and did not want to risk the chance doing it all over.

So getting married right after she gets here is totally fine right? By the way, does IRCC check all the social media of applicants? I am a bit worried because we have many pictures of wedding back home.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, we actually engaged and have all the pictures of celebrations about 5-6 months ago, but that time I was already invited and did not want to risk the chance doing it all over.

So getting married right after she gets here is totally fine right? By the way, does IRCC check all the social media of applicants? I am a bit worried because we have many pictures of wedding back home.
So you were married As you had a wedding? Why didn’t you add her to your application then? You didn’t have to do everything all over. If IRCC finds out that you had a wedding and got married then you misrepresented yourself, and you can never sponsor your wife.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is kind of a ceremony for both families. But on paper, or any registrations we did not.
Doesn’t matter. If it appears you got married and those will count as your wedding pictures you may not be able to sponsor your wife. You got married but are delaying registration for immigration purposes. You should have finished the registration and added her to your application and not landed as single.

Reactions: Naturgrl