+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help.....Sponsoring pregnant wife

mekhael

Feb 11, 2011
My wife and I got married last January, and our initial plan was to apply for the sponsorship so I can bring her here. Last week we found out she's 1 month pregnant. What are our options? I'm a canadian citizen and she's not, she's filipina but she's currently working and residing in Dubai for past 7 years. Is it still possible for her to get an X-Ray exam? If with some luck she gets her visa and arrive in Canada by July 2011, is she covered by the BC Health right away? If we decide to wait till the baby is born to send the application will we have to sponsor the child as well? or I just need a certificate for the baby? Can I still sponsor her while on maternity leave?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
Mike

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In any case you need to apply for her sponsorship. She can try applying for a TRV to come visit you but as a wife of a Canadian, she will be considered a risk to overstay plus she is unlikely to be covered by health care in BC as a visitor. I have heard a couple of cases of AB covering spouses who are in the process of being sponsored but I have not heard of BC doing that. If she can't get a TRV, you must wait until she gets her PR. Arriving in BC, she will have to wait 3 months before she is covered by MSP.

If she ends up having the baby in the Philippines, the baby will inherit your citizenship as long as you were either born in Canada or immigrated to Canada. In that case, you would apply for a citizenship certificate for the baby. You can ask for it to be expedited based on that the baby will need to travel soon or you can just apply for it and after you apply for it, you may apply for a temporary passport for the baby.

If you were born outside Canada but got citizenship based on your parents being Canadian, you can not pass citizenship on to your baby but you can sponsor it for PR. You would then notify the visa office of the babies birth and ask to add it to the application to sponsor your wife.

mekhael

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Leon,

Another question can I still sponsor my wife if ever I go on parental leave and go on EI? We're thinking of having the baby back home, that way we won't be stressing out and ran the risked of the airlines not allowing her to board a plane anymore. And besides I read she won't be covered by BC Health right away :( it takes 3 months for her to get MSP coverage.

Thanks once again

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mekhael said:
Thanks Leon,

Another question can I still sponsor my wife if ever I go on parental leave and go on EI? We're thinking of having the baby back home, that way we won't be stressing out and ran the risked of the airlines not allowing her to board a plane anymore. And besides I read she won't be covered by BC Health right away :( it takes 3 months for her to get MSP coverage.

Thanks once again
Yes.