+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help regarding spouse sponsorship

nokmdk

Mar 3, 2008
I would really appreciate if someone can help me with this question.
My husband and I have been married for 5 years and live together before. Right now we are looking to relocate back to Canada. The problem is that I would like to go back first and stay to help out my husband's sister with her babies. My husband has to finish his job in the country where we live right now and will not be able to go back with me right away.

Will this be a problem? I read somewhere that a sponsoring spouse has to return to Canada immediately when the permanant resident visa gets approved.

Thank you so much.

modo

Jan 8, 2008
Dear nokmdk,

U ve no problem at all because if u want to start the process now your husband wont get his PR before 6 month atleast in most cases (maybe more or less ,depends on his home country).

So the best option for you is to go back to canada by yourself and start the sponsoship process from there & he can join you after 6 month approximatly.

I wish u all the best of luck :)

nokmdk

Mar 3, 2008
Hi Modo thanks so much for your reply
Except that it is the other way around, my husband is Canadian and I am the one who needs to be sponsored.
I understand that they would want the sponsor to go back right away once you are approved so that you have support. But what if I will have support from other family members there? Will my Canadian husband need to go back with me right away?

Thank you

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
CIC allows for your husband too sponsor you from the country where you are currently living. Check the CIC website. Its possible that you could get a 'Temporary Visitors Visa' and visit your friend while the process is taking place. There are some potential problems that you might face, however. You could be called for an interview at the Canadian consulate in your home country while visiting Canada. You might be required to supply additional documents during the processing and other things might arise that require your hands on involvement.

nokmdk

Mar 3, 2008
Hi thank you for your answer. Do you think that I should have a lawyer sponsor me? Is this the way to go or do most people do it by themselves?

TanTan

Feb 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your husband has to sponsor you, but if you are asking if you should hire a lawyer to help you with the sponsorship application, it is totally your choice, if you have the patience to read all documents, you will be able to do it on your own, I personally chose to do it myself.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Even if you hire a lawer, there is still quite a bit of 'supporting' document gathering that you will have to be involved in. The immigration forms are really the easiest part of preparing to submit your application. It is just very important that you select the proper guides and forms that are relative to your situation. The CIC website seems to cover everything you need. You can get direction on finding "Country Specific" guides that will tell you exactly what forms and supporting documents you will need. Read the quides carefully! I read my guides several times. I studied them and the first few times through, I found instructions that I had overlooked. Take care.

RV777

nokmdk

Mar 3, 2008
Yes I mean my husband would sponsor me, but we were wondering if there is a benefit in hiring a representative or will it speed up the process. Gathering from your answers I guess probably not (?) Yes I will study the guides carefully, appreciate all your replies!

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Hiring a lawer won't make your process go any faster. Just get all of your documents right. Don't miss anything. It lessens the chance that your application will be delayed by CIC having to request additional documents.

RV777