+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help!! Regarding PhD

seeker321

May 12, 2014
Hi All,
This is the first time i am posting something on a forum so apologies in advance if i am doing this all wrong Cheesy. The reason i started this thread is to gather some info about doing a PhD in Biotechnology (Microbiology) in Canada. I have completed my masters with a minor thesis from Australia and i have roundabout 7 years worth of experience in research and academia. Like most others i have done my share of scouting for a good uni which offers a reasonable funding and i have shortlisted a few. I am yet to submit my application and contact the supervisor because i was unsure that i have completely explored all my options. I would greatly appreciate any pointers that u might have in regards to my few queries.

1. I tried contacting many consultancy's and i am yet to find one that offer assistance for PhD applicants, so if u happen to know any, please do let me know. ( I want the help of a consultancy not because i am too lazy to do it on my own, i just thought once my paranoia sets in, a safety net and someone to pester with questions would b nice Tongue)

2. Is there any particular uni's that offer a PhD in Microbiology that i should b looking at? ( Good rep and funding, with a slight priority to funding, (Hey not everyone is an Ambani Tongue)

3. What sort of funding am i looking at? Would i b able to support myself with that funding or do i need to look for alternate means?, and what are my chances of securing a part time work on or off campus?

3. Any do and dont's that i should know about when applying for a PhD in Canada?

4. Is there any mandatory exams that i should b doing?, other than IELTS off course.

5. I plan on staying back in Canada once i am done with my PhD ( that is, hoping that i get to do one in Canada), So what are my prospects on getting a P.R and descent job after the completion of my PhD?

If you happen to know anything about the same please do help me out. Many thanks in advance

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
1. Consultants won't help you out for PhD admission. Almost all the Canadian university advises not to use consultancy and suggests you apply on your own. So mostly the answer is no. Your 1st step should be to start contacting the professors in your research area. Without a professor recommendation, it is impossible to get admit for PhD in Canada.

2. There are many of university offering PhD in microbiology. Use this website to find univ of your interest. www.aucc.ca

3. Funding comes in the form of RA/GA/TA. For that you would be needed to contact the professors in your relevant interest area. If they like your profile, they will be in touch with you and also talk about fundings available from their side. Part-time's wont be necessary for you as PhD funds will be more than enough for you to sustain.

3. Do's and don'ts - 1st contact a supervisor and be in correspondence with them.

4. IELTS should be fine. Nothing else needed

5. PR depends on province to province. For a PhD graduate it's easy to get. So don't worry about settling. Concentrate on admission.

Hope I answered all questions

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
propain said:
you could get in touch with mizan776.

he is a phd expert.
That was too cheeky man. Anyways tried my best to help

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
I have done MTech in biotechnology from amity institute of Technolgy Noida India.
wish to do PhD from Ontario Canada.
have contacted supervisors of 4 universities including brock university around 25th December 2023 but up till no response, in my email I have written in detail my interest, my projects etc
Request to help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have done MTech in biotechnology from amity institute of Technolgy Noida India.
have contacted supervisors of 4 universities including brock university around 25th December 2023 but up till no response, in my email I have written in detail my interest, my projects etc
Request to help
So you contacted schools on Christmas Day when universities were closed for the holidays and only started back to school two days ago and you expected responses by now? Schools have been back for two days only.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Request to help
You don't get approval of Ph.D like in days.
The supervisors will look upon your topic extensively. If they have experience in the certain topic and if they have slots available only then they will respond back.
You should have contacted HODs instead. In this way maybe they would have approached other supervisors in the department who would have been looking up to pick a topic or student for research.
Also just a heads up start writing a proposal.

Reactions: Naturgrl

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
You don't get approval of Ph.D like in days.
The supervisors will look upon your topic extensively. If they have experience in the certain topic and if they have slots available only then they will respond back.
You should have contacted HODs instead. In this way maybe they would have approached other supervisors in the department who would have been looking up to pick a topic or student for research.
Also just a heads up start writing a proposal.
thank you vert much
I am writing to HODs now explaining in detail.