+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help - Refugee ID and WorkPermit Renewal

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
Hello Guys,

Firstly, thank you to all of the people who answer questions and help us. I have couple of thing that I need clarity in:

1. My Refugee ID is going to be expired on 5th March 2020. it was valid for 2 years.
Can I just renew it by going to the ETOBICOKE/Immigration office before it expires? Someone told me that they will not renew it until it expires. Is it true? Also if you could please confirm if I need my medical again to renew my ID?

2. My Work permit and SIN is also expiring on 10th February 2020. 1 month before the R-ID expiry. I know for the fact that I must need Refugee ID for applying WORK PERMIT. Should I wait for Refugee ID renewal first and then apply for work permit or I should just apply for work permit right away before it expires? The confusion is if I apply for work permit with this Refugee ID, they may reject it or just give me 1 month work permit ? I am totally confused here.

I would highly appreciate your suggestions / answers.

Thank you again.

Reactions: Saytuun

Talab111

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
1) your cannot renew your refugee ID, and actually you don't need to renew it. The health coverage will remain even if it's expired.
2) You should start your work permit renewal process from today as it will take more than 100 days for online and more for the mail application, and even if your refugee ID got expired and you renewed your work permit it will not effect.
friend of mine had the same issue and he renewed his work permit with expired refugee ID.

sihamuk

Sep 11, 2015
Hello Guys,

Firstly, thank you to all of the people who answer questions and help us. I have couple of thing that I need clarity in:

1. My Refugee ID is going to be expired on 5th March 2020. it was valid for 2 years.
Can I just renew it by going to the ETOBICOKE/Immigration office before it expires? Someone told me that they will not renew it until it expires. Is it true? Also if you could please confirm if I need my medical again to renew my ID?

2. My Work permit and SIN is also expiring on 10th February 2020. 1 month before the R-ID expiry. I know for the fact that I must need Refugee ID for applying WORK PERMIT. Should I wait for Refugee ID renewal first and then apply for work permit or I should just apply for work permit right away before it expires? The confusion is if I apply for work permit with this Refugee ID, they may reject it or just give me 1 month work permit ? I am totally confused here.

I would highly appreciate your suggestions / answers.

Thank you again.
1.Yes you can renew your Refugee protection claimant document (Refugee ID).
you can’t renew until it expires. You need to go to the local immigration office with 2 photos and proof of address, they will renew it for you in the same day. Now the new validity is 4 years. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1478&top=11

2. I applied for Work permit extension few months before the expiry of my refugee id, it took almost 3 month to process by online. They extended it for one year.

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
Hi Talab and Shiamuk,

Thank you very much for the information. And I must say that this forum is a blessing for the required information.

Sihamuk, special thanks for the link you shared. It clarifies everything.

I will apply for a work permit today with my current ID.
Then once the ID expires, I will visit the immigration office to get it renewed.

Thanks again.

Reactions: sihamuk

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
While applying I am facing a question where it is not letting me go further to process application.

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months? (required)

*** I did my medical examination in March 2018 and it is valid for two years and it will expire on March 2020. However, I haven't taken any medical exam within last 12 months. When I say NO, it doesn't allow me to proceed.

Does it mean I cannot use my exisiting medical report ?
Do I have to do my medical again ? If Yes, how do I get the appointment from the approved medical centers?

Any help would highly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Talab111

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
While applying I am facing a question where it is not letting me go further to process application.

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months? (required)

*** I did my medical examination in March 2018 and it is valid for two years and it will expire on March 2020. However, I haven't taken any medical exam within last 12 months. When I say NO, it doesn't allow me to proceed.

Does it mean I cannot use my exisiting medical report ?
Do I have to do my medical again ? If Yes, how do I get the appointment from the approved medical centers?

Any help would highly be appreciated.

Thanks.
You can use your last exam( for me I used the one I did it in 2018)

Ezekieljane

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
I renewed mine but you should wait at least 3days before it expires or when it is expired . I waited when mine was expired though and I renewed my work permit too and didn’t need to do another medical exam since I have not left Canada since the last one .

E23456

Oct 21, 2019
HI brothers
How to renew my work permit online ?

What’s the step or witch application I must to fill ?

Wish all successful for everyone

Phablo foggia

Oct 19, 2020
First of all I would like to thank you for the time and availability of everyone who helps us by answering our questions.
I have been a refugee in canada for over two years, I have already passed the final hearing and we received permission to apply for permanent resident, we applied in October 2019, we have already provided digital printing and we are waiting. The problem is that I have an expired driver's license, ID refugge and work permit, I need to renew my documents to continue working, what can I do? Thank you

kato20182020

Aug 29, 2018
1.Yes you can renew your Refugee protection claimant document (Refugee ID).
you can’t renew until it expires. You need to go to the local immigration office with 2 photos and proof of address, they will renew it for you in the same day. Now the new validity is 4 years. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1478&top=11
2. I applied for Work permit extension few months before the expiry of my refugee id, it took almost 3 month to process by online. They extended it for one year.
hi how did you renew your work permit online as a refugee. Thank you