+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help pls

bhumikajhamb

Aug 31, 2019
Hello, pls if you could answer this:
I am on an open work permit in Canada. My husband is an international student here and he is due to apply for his Post Graduate Work Permit very soon. Our status expires on 31st October. Meanwhile, we received the Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residence and will be submitting our application. However, my question is relating to my open work permit extension. We came to know about the bridging work permit. Till such time that a decision is taken on our PR application, do I need to apply for the bridging work permit or can I apply for open work permit extension? We wanted to apply for the extension of our visa status together (me, my husband and our daughter), however since we are still in the process of getting all documents for our PR application, bridging work permit application might take more time. Please let me know what should I be doing, given this situation. Thanks!

Note: For PR application, I am the primary applicant.

NAM2014

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
First thing first, you shouldn't mix your current situation of Work Permit (Temporary Resident) to your wish of applying to Permanent Resident.

Since you want to stay in the meantime you apply for PR you should still go ahead and apply for an extension of Work Permit. Even if the document expires during the application assessment you can still keep working under implied status. Your husband will have to wait for an outcome for his application of Work Permit to start working of course as this wasn't his initial intended purpose of coming to Canada.

Congratualation on getting an Invitation to Apply and good luck on the process for PR.

bhumikajhamb

Aug 31, 2019
First thing first, you shouldn't mix your current situation of Work Permit (Temporary Resident) to your wish of applying to Permanent Resident.

Since you want to stay in the meantime you apply for PR you should still go ahead and apply for an extension of Work Permit. Even if the document expires during the application assessment you can still keep working under implied status. Your husband will have to wait for an outcome for his application of Work Permit to start working of course as this wasn't his initial intended purpose of coming to Canada.

Congratualation on getting an Invitation to Apply and good luck on the process for PR.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and wishes!
I had a few more related questions:
1. As I understand, my husband will also be legally allowed to work full time after he gets his results and has applied for his PGWP since he will also be in the implied status as myself. Is that correct?
2. What are the documents that I need to submit for PGWP and my open work extension apart from Forms 5710E and 5257B. Is there a checklist that is available? We tried locating but couldn't find it.
3. Lastly, does my husband need to have a full time job offer for me to get my open work permit extension? I read this somewhere and thus wanted to clarify.

Thanks much!

NAM2014

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Those will be my comments:
1) Your husband will be able to work but with the limitation of his student permit until a decision his reach for his application of work permit.
2) You will get a personalized checklist as soon as you start the application on the IRCC website. Never try to copy the requirement of another application results can be different.
3) No, no need to have a job offer.

Don't forget to share with us the timeline of your application for PR, as well as NOC and CRS score. It will help others as well!

bhumikajhamb

Aug 31, 2019
Hello, many thanks for your reply!
Regarding the third comment, it does seem that for my open work permit extension, my husband does need to have a full time job and three pay slips. I have been reading about this on the Canada Visa forum itself and many people have experienced rejection due to not having this. Please if you could clarify. If this is the case, I might not get the open work permit extension and have to take the bridging work permit route. Thanks!

Regarding our NOC and CRS score, our score was 466 and NOC is 4614. Our timeline to respond to the ITA is basically almost 45 days from now!!!