+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP! PGWP refused due to part time study (updated Aug/08)

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hello guys,

I am currently on a study permit (my program starts in september 2020 and I am in Canada currently). I know I cant wowrk legally in Canada till I start studies, but I have an international art contest I am thinking of participating in. The winner will also win a prize money. My question is: is this also considered as working in Canada? Take note that the company is in USA and though the video will be shot here in Canada, its still not a Canadian company.

Also, I am in the process of applying for my PR (under CEC) as my previous PR application got rejected in December 2019 and I was then out of status as my work permit also expired, so I had to restore status quickly as a student. Will participating in this contest hurt my chances of getting my PR?

TIA

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hi everyone

This is OP writing from my office 2018-03-10 2:30 pm. 5 days after landing at Peace Arch CBSA.

Thanks for everyone who helped me here :) hope you all are doing well.

"Reply to yourself" is one of my 100+ things-to-do checklist.

CIC was pretty fast processing recent cases, this is probably due to accumulated cases from years before were mostly completed by 2018.

Brief timeline:

2016-06-06 received PGWP ( I was already working in a small company & started looking for a company can sponsor PNP )

2016-07-20 after many interviews, I was offered a position by a local company ( 50+ employees )

2017-May : Planning for PNP ( Almost one year for bonus points)

2017-July : Prep for documents

2017-08-02: Submitted at 11 am and ITA received at 2 pm ( Same day)

2017-08-28: Uploaded all documents and wait

2017-10-28: PNP approved ( Received e-mail on a Saturday)

2017-11-02: EE ITA

2017-11-17: Uploaded all documents and wait ( 6 month according to CIC ?)

2018-02-23: PPR, Just got off flight from my vacation to Yellowknife :cool:

2018-03-26: Mailed PP

2018-03-06: Received PP ( that was fast)

2018-03-06: took off early from work and finished landing process at Peace Arch border crossing.

To everyone out there on your path to PR, if you happen to run into a similar case, feel free to ask me anything. I will try my best to answer your questions.

"Don't confuse your path with your destination, just because it's stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine" :):):)
Wow! Congrats! I admire your determination all through this ordeal...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,

I am currently on a study permit (my program starts in september 2020 and I am in Canada currently). I know I cant wowrk legally in Canada till I start studies, but I have an international art contest I am thinking of participating in. The winner will also win a prize money. My question is: is this also considered as working in Canada? Take note that the company is in USA and though the video will be shot here in Canada, its still not a Canadian company.

Also, I am in the process of applying for my PR (under CEC) as my previous PR application got rejected in December 2019 and I was then out of status as my work permit also expired, so I had to restore status quickly as a student. Will participating in this contest hurt my chances of getting my PR?

TIA
If you are creating content then you are working without status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys,

TIA
As long as you aren't selling anything, it's fine.

KP1001

Dec 27, 2019
Hi everyone

This is OP writing from my office 2018-03-10 2:30 pm. 5 days after landing at Peace Arch CBSA.

Thanks for everyone who helped me here :) hope you all are doing well.

"Reply to yourself" is one of my 100+ things-to-do checklist.

CIC was pretty fast processing recent cases, this is probably due to accumulated cases from years before were mostly completed by 2018.

Brief timeline:

2016-06-06 received PGWP ( I was already working in a small company & started looking for a company can sponsor PNP )

2016-07-20 after many interviews, I was offered a position by a local company ( 50+ employees )

2017-May : Planning for PNP ( Almost one year for bonus points)

2017-July : Prep for documents

2017-08-02: Submitted at 11 am and ITA received at 2 pm ( Same day)

2017-08-28: Uploaded all documents and wait

2017-10-28: PNP approved ( Received e-mail on a Saturday)

2017-11-02: EE ITA

2017-11-17: Uploaded all documents and wait ( 6 month according to CIC ?)

2018-02-23: PPR, Just got off flight from my vacation to Yellowknife :cool:

2018-03-26: Mailed PP

2018-03-06: Received PP ( that was fast)

2018-03-06: took off early from work and finished landing process at Peace Arch border crossing.

To everyone out there on your path to PR, if you happen to run into a similar case, feel free to ask me anything. I will try my best to answer your questions.

"Don't confuse your path with your destination, just because it's stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine" :):):)
Bro can I get your email ID or else your phone number. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks!

laaurajones

May 27, 2020
Hey guys,

I am currently applying to get my PGWP right now and I was a part-time student during my last term (during the fall semester though, but I was a full time student during the winter semester) and I was recommended to get a letter from my university explaining that the situation was out of my control, since the courses I needed in order to graduate were offered in the winter term. I am afraid that this will get my application rejected.

Can anyone help me?

thatkid22

Aug 18, 2020
Yes - people with more than 1 part time semester/term are typically refused. We've seen lots of refusals here for that reason. The rules for PGWPs are that you can't have more that one part time semester/term.
I know it's been a while on this thread. But, do people with one term break in studies because of suspension from university get approved for PGWP.

Modipal

Sep 15, 2020
Hii...Sabeen. I'm currently in similar situation as you just the difference is I need to done my 2nd part time term just because I failed in the only course that I took in my 1st part time term and that was my expected graduation term. Am I on safer side because of this reason or no ? and what should I probably ask from my university that will help me to get PGWP for 3 years. I will explain whole scenario below:

I have to finish 8 courses in order to complete my graduation:

Fall 2018: full time (2 course load)
Winter 2019: full time (3 course load)
Summer 2019: full time (2 course load)
Fall 2019: part-time (1 course load but failed in that course)
winter 2020: Part time (1 course load)
Hey
What's your status now?

besyzy

May 14, 2021
Hi, I got a message from cic 9 days after i applied PGWP.

"Your application as requested is refused.
Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if
they have engaged in full-time studies for at least eight months at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work
permit in this category"

I had studied full time from 2010 to spring 2013, but took only 1 class for summer, winter 2013 and spring 2014.

what do i do now?? is anyone here had this situation before ? and how did you solve this ?

Please help me , without 3 year PGWP , all my future plans means nothing.

[size=10pt]Updates: [/size]

I've never been upset in my life like now, and nearly desperate. I went to the school earlier and talked to advisor, she told me that I'm the case she ever seen and went through my transcripts and documents.

I also wrote a memo to explain the time gap and part time studies, advisor told me I have solid reasons.

I went to the board of US/Canada today at 5 P.M so I can give it another try with an officer.

First, after the officer look at my file number, she told me that if cic says I'm not qualify to get PGWP then I don't get it.

They also took my phone and asked me for passcode, (Big suprise) I guess they are trying to find out if I was working illegally from 2013 to 2014. But they couldn't find anything. the fact is I was taking only 1

course, beside that I was just taking my time to enjoy life here.

After I explain everything to her, she went to talk with another officer ( they are both senior level immigration officer). Unfortunately, they both agreed with CIC. Now I have 3 month left and she told me I can try to

get LMO in order to stay. I know it's like not a chance.

I understand that everything has to be under policy and there can't be any mistake, but for me, it's not only a sad day but all my dreams and plans for next few years are gone. All I need is a chance to apply what i

have learned. it's just not my day.

I'm not sure if I can still write an letter to CIC, I heard that there is a CIC Special Case Processing department and they do appeal letters.

Should I give up on this or move forward and looking a way out ?

TBH, the only thing the officers were arguing is my last 2 semesters, why did i take only 1 class at a time.

Every reply/answer will be appreciated

Also please reminder your friends if they have any time gap/part time studies while holding a study permit.
Re: NEED HELP! PGWP refused due to part time study

I think you're allowed to be part time in the Summer so that isn't a problem.

If I read this right, you took only one course in Winter 2013 and Fall 2013? How many courses did you take in the term that just ended? i,e Winter 2014

Any particular reason that you were part time?

Also, how did you even complete your program by taking only 1 course for 3 semesters?
Yes - people with more than 1 part time semester/term are typically refused. We've seen lots of refusals here for that reason. The rules for PGWPs are that you can't have more that one part time semester/term.
Hi guys, I'm kind of in the similar boat. My University requires to pass at least 7 courses(3.5 credits) a year to maintain my full-time status.
During my third year I was suffering depression and droped/failed some courses, I only passed 2.0 credits for that school year.(I took 8 courses, failed 1 and dropped 3)
I have requested letters from my psychiatrist and 2 of school counsellors, so 3 letters to explain my situation...
Do you guys think, by providing these explanation documentation, is there still very high chance that I will get refusal?

Modi13453

Jul 24, 2021
Hi, I got a message from cic 9 days after i applied PGWP.

"Your application as requested is refused.
Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if
they have engaged in full-time studies for at least eight months at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work
permit in this category"

I had studied full time from 2010 to spring 2013, but took only 1 class for summer, winter 2013 and spring 2014.

what do i do now?? is anyone here had this situation before ? and how did you solve this ?

Please help me , without 3 year PGWP , all my future plans means nothing.

[size=10pt]Updates: [/size]

I've never been upset in my life like now, and nearly desperate. I went to the school earlier and talked to advisor, she told me that I'm the case she ever seen and went through my transcripts and documents.

I also wrote a memo to explain the time gap and part time studies, advisor told me I have solid reasons.

I went to the board of US/Canada today at 5 P.M so I can give it another try with an officer.

First, after the officer look at my file number, she told me that if cic says I'm not qualify to get PGWP then I don't get it.

They also took my phone and asked me for passcode, (Big suprise) I guess they are trying to find out if I was working illegally from 2013 to 2014. But they couldn't find anything. the fact is I was taking only 1

course, beside that I was just taking my time to enjoy life here.

After I explain everything to her, she went to talk with another officer ( they are both senior level immigration officer). Unfortunately, they both agreed with CIC. Now I have 3 month left and she told me I can try to

get LMO in order to stay. I know it's like not a chance.

I understand that everything has to be under policy and there can't be any mistake, but for me, it's not only a sad day but all my dreams and plans for next few years are gone. All I need is a chance to apply what i

have learned. it's just not my day.

I'm not sure if I can still write an letter to CIC, I heard that there is a CIC Special Case Processing department and they do appeal letters.

Should I give up on this or move forward and looking a way out ?

TBH, the only thing the officers were arguing is my last 2 semesters, why did i take only 1 class at a time.

Every reply/answer will be appreciated

Also please reminder your friends if they have any time gap/part time studies while holding a study permit.
Hi , I have same situation right now, I have done full time studies From 2019 fall term to 2021 winter term , then after failed in one course I have to study part time in summer term. Afterwards, low GPA in academic I was being told by to take another course in spring, which is also part-time.

Am I eligible to get PGWP after done with my studies, I talked with my college department and awaiting for there reply, will they provide any documentation related to this?