+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP! PGWP refused due to part time study (updated Aug/08)

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Re: NEED HELP! PGWP refused due to part time study

I don't think there's anything you can do. You studied three terms as a part time student and you're not allowed to do this on a study permit (you must study full time). You violated the conditions of your study permit and for this reason you don't meet the requirements for the PGWP.

If you want to remain and work in Canada, then you'll need to find an employer who can obtain an approved LMIA so that you can then apply for a work permit.

Good luck.
Hey did you end up applying for your pgwp and if you did, whats your status now?
Hi everyone

This is OP writing from my office 2018-03-10 2:30 pm. 5 days after landing at Peace Arch CBSA.

Thanks for everyone who helped me here :) hope you all are doing well.

"Reply to yourself" is one of my 100+ things-to-do checklist.

CIC was pretty fast processing recent cases, this is probably due to accumulated cases from years before were mostly completed by 2018.

Brief timeline:

2016-06-06 received PGWP ( I was already working in a small company & started looking for a company can sponsor PNP )

2016-07-20 after many interviews, I was offered a position by a local company ( 50+ employees )

2017-May : Planning for PNP ( Almost one year for bonus points)

2017-July : Prep for documents

2017-08-02: Submitted at 11 am and ITA received at 2 pm ( Same day)

2017-08-28: Uploaded all documents and wait

2017-10-28: PNP approved ( Received e-mail on a Saturday)

2017-11-02: EE ITA

2017-11-17: Uploaded all documents and wait ( 6 month according to CIC ?)

2018-02-23: PPR, Just got off flight from my vacation to Yellowknife :cool:

2018-03-26: Mailed PP

2018-03-06: Received PP ( that was fast)

2018-03-06: took off early from work and finished landing process at Peace Arch border crossing.

To everyone out there on your path to PR, if you happen to run into a similar case, feel free to ask me anything. I will try my best to answer your questions.

"Don't confuse your path with your destination, just because it's stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine" :):):)
Hi
I am in a similar situation u once were in. I was struggling with my program. So I took only two courses in Fall, summer, and winter to lighten my load. Moreover, my program has mandatory unpaid field work under the supervision of our instructor. I worsened my situation by not applying for coop work permit. I fear I might get rejected on the basis for working illegally alone. I am really angry at myself for being completely oblivious to these rules.

Do you suggest me to drop from the entire program (4 year degree program) and apply for a new one or should I just go ahead and apply application for my PGWP.
I am extremely worried and stressed out the way things have turned. I have invested so much money and time into my studies here and I just can't imagine the horror of going back to my home country. :(
Hi sherry

Edited: to anyone out there ran into some case as I was, feel free to PM me. It has been 3&half year since then. I've been working in a full time position at a really good company for 1 year &half by now. And went though PNP ITA EE ITA now waiting for my PR approval soon to come.

END= effort never dies just be positive and dont give up. Whatever the result night be at least you can tell yourself you've tried your best.

It turned out to be ok as I went back to school and got another diploma and re-applied. Don't give up if staying in Canada is something you really want. If you want to talk please pm your cell I can give you a call. Wish you best of luck

Btw I did spend a very intensive 2 year (all full time even summer ) and graduated with a high gpa. I was told and I do believe this now: PGWP officer would give second chance for someone who is really studying in Canada. So a good acdamic result (GPA) gives officer info that you are trying&doing your best studying.
Hey sherry96....did you applied for PGWP? Did you got approved or no?

I have a question regarding Post Graduate work permit. I came to Canada to pursue my master's degree in 2016. Since then I was a full-time student until September 2018. As a course requirement, I have to complete four 8 weeks practicum fieldwork placement in different settings.

The curriculum is designed in such a way that a student can not complete 2 placement in a single term. So I have been registered as a part-time student for fall term 2018 and winter term 2019. I have already completed my fieldwork scheduled for this fall term and now I am waiting to complete my next fieldwork from January to February 2019. I will be done with my degree requirements after that. So could you please provide me information whether I am eligible to apply for PGWP or not as it's not my fault to be a part-time student in final 2 terms but due to the design of the course curriculum.

so my question is I am a part-time student in my final 2 terms not by choice but due to the design of the program. so would I be eligible to apply for PGWP after completion of my program?

sherry96

Jan 25, 2018
I have a question regarding Post Graduate work permit. I came to Canada to pursue my master's degree in 2016. Since then I was a full-time student until September 2018. As a course requirement, I have to complete four 8 weeks practicum fieldwork placement in different settings.

The curriculum is designed in such a way that a student can not complete 2 placement in a single term. So I have been registered as a part-time student for fall term 2018 and winter term 2019. I have already completed my fieldwork scheduled for this fall term and now I am waiting to complete my next fieldwork from January to February 2019. I will be done with my degree requirements after that. So could you please provide me information whether I am eligible to apply for PGWP or not as it's not my fault to be a part-time student in final 2 terms but due to the design of the course curriculum.

so my question is I am a part-time student in my final 2 terms not by choice but due to the design of the program. so would I be eligible to apply for PGWP after completion of my program?

Hi, so your situation is a little different than mine. Your program requires you to be part time, whereas for me I took part time courses as my own decision. I don't think it should be a problem for you. For more clarification try talking to your course advisor or the head of the international student department.

Anyhow, this is what I did, I took additional courses (ones that I did not actually need) in the last semester so my last semester was full time. I finished a 2 year program in 3 years.
Fall, 2015: full time
Winter,2016: full time
Fall, 2016: full time
Winter, 2017: full time
Summer, 2017: part time
Fall, 2017: part time
Winter 2018: full time

After all the confusion and panic I ended up getting my work permit. Just talk to the department head and clear things about your program structure or even better call CIC.
In the end, I would suggest to not stress too much and apply. Make sure you include all the documents, transcripts/ copy of diploma or degree and an official completion letter. Hope for the best.

Good luck to you!

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hi, so your situation is a little different than mine. Your program requires you to be part time, whereas for me I took part time courses as my own decision. I don't think it should be a problem for you. For more clarification try talking to your course advisor or the head of the international student department.

Anyhow, this is what I did, I took additional courses (ones that I did not actually need) in the last semester so my last semester was full time. I finished a 2 year program in 3 years.
Fall, 2015: full time
Winter,2016: full time
Fall, 2016: full time
Winter, 2017: full time
Summer, 2017: part time
Fall, 2017: part time
Winter 2018: full time

After all the confusion and panic I ended up getting my work permit. Just talk to the department head and clear things about your program structure or even better call CIC.
In the end, I would suggest to not stress too much and apply. Make sure you include all the documents, transcripts/ copy of diploma or degree and an official completion letter. Hope for the best.

Good luck to you!
I talked with my advisors and they told me that they will manage all these things so that my work permit would not be impacted. However, I have to extend my study permit to finish my program. And on the enrollment verification certificate, it clearly states that I am a part-time student for final 2 terms.

jhez2007

Star Member
Aug 9, 2019
Re: NEED HELP! PGWP refused due to part time study

I don't think there's anything you can do. You studied three terms as a part time student and you're not allowed to do this on a study permit (you must study full time). You violated the conditions of your study permit and for this reason you don't meet the requirements for the PGWP.

If you want to remain and work in Canada, then you'll need to find an employer who can obtain an approved LMIA so that you can then apply for a work permit.

Good luck.
Just want to correct the study permit requirement, its not mandatory to be full-time student when you have study permit. However, the consequence is when you apply for PGWP, that’s where mandatory to be full-time

angelwings19

Sep 3, 2019
Hi could anyone give me an insight about my predicament?

I voluntarily withdrew a subject every semester for 3 semesters in a 4 year bachelor program. leaving me 6hours credit each semester as a part time.. I never did summer classes and I have extended 1 year to finish my degree. would you think I would be able to get a PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi could anyone give me an insight about my predicament?

I voluntarily withdrew a subject every semester for 3 semesters in a 4 year bachelor program. leaving me 6hours credit each semester as a part time.. I never did summer classes and I have extended 1 year to finish my degree. would you think I would be able to get a PGWP?
If you were a part time student for three semesters, there is a high chance your PGWP is going to be refused.

Reactions: angelwings19

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Has anyone had the same problem?
Yes - people with more than 1 part time semester/term are typically refused. We've seen lots of refusals here for that reason. The rules for PGWPs are that you can't have more that one part time semester/term.

angelwings19

Sep 3, 2019
Yes - people with more than 1 part time semester/term are typically refused. We've seen lots of refusals here for that reason. The rules for PGWPs are that you can't have more that one part time semester/term.
Is it even if I finish my bachelor's degree?
Fall 2015: 12credits GPA 3
Winter 2016: 9 credits GPA 2
Fall 2016: 12credits GPA 2.5
Winter 2016: 6credits, 1 Failed, 1 VW (Voluntary withdrawal) GPA 1.5
Fall 2017: 6 credits, 1 VW GPA 3.3
Winter 2018: 6credits, GPA 2.5
Fall 2018: 12credits GPA 3
Winter 2019: 12 credits GPA 3
One year left to finish

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it even if I finish my bachelor's degree?
Fall 2015: 12credits
Winter 2016: 9 credits
Fall 2016: 12credits
Winter 2016: 6credits, 1 Failed, 1 VW (Voluntary withdrawal) GPA 1
Fall 2017: 6 credits, 1 VW GPA 3.3
Winter 2018: 6credits, GPA 2.5
Fall 2018: 12credits
Winter 2019: 12 credits
One year left to finish
There are a number of requirements you have to meet to be approved for a PGWP. Finishing your degree is just one requirement. Being a full time student throughout your studies is another entirely separate requirement. Again, you are allowed to be part time in one semester/term only.

angelwings19

Sep 3, 2019
I talked with my advisors and they told me that they will manage all these things so that my work permit would not be impacted. However, I have to extend my study permit to finish my program. And on the enrollment verification certificate, it clearly states that I am a part-time student for final 2 terms.
Hi
HI Sabeen! How did they say they'd help you in the course structure?

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hi

HI Sabeen! How did they say they'd help you in the course structure?
Yes they gave me a letter stating that due to the program structure I had no option other than being a part time student for 2 term. And it worked really well for me. I got my PGWP in 56 days.

Mandy_bryce

Sep 18, 2019
Hi everyone

This is OP writing from my office 2018-03-10 2:30 pm. 5 days after landing at Peace Arch CBSA.

Thanks for everyone who helped me here :) hope you all are doing well.

"Reply to yourself" is one of my 100+ things-to-do checklist.

CIC was pretty fast processing recent cases, this is probably due to accumulated cases from years before were mostly completed by 2018.

Brief timeline:

2016-06-06 received PGWP ( I was already working in a small company & started looking for a company can sponsor PNP )

2016-07-20 after many interviews, I was offered a position by a local company ( 50+ employees )

2017-May : Planning for PNP ( Almost one year for bonus points)

2017-July : Prep for documents

2017-08-02: Submitted at 11 am and ITA received at 2 pm ( Same day)

2017-08-28: Uploaded all documents and wait

2017-10-28: PNP approved ( Received e-mail on a Saturday)

2017-11-02: EE ITA

2017-11-17: Uploaded all documents and wait ( 6 month according to CIC ?)

2018-02-23: PPR, Just got off flight from my vacation to Yellowknife :cool:

2018-03-26: Mailed PP

2018-03-06: Received PP ( that was fast)

2018-03-06: took off early from work and finished landing process at Peace Arch border crossing.

To everyone out there on your path to PR, if you happen to run into a similar case, feel free to ask me anything. I will try my best to answer your questions.

"Don't confuse your path with your destination, just because it's stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine" :):):)
Hi there, congratulations to you on getting your PR. I have been denied twice for my PGWP my last recent was because of part time studies but I was retaking a course and it was a program requirement. I called IRCC when it happened and they said it was fine and I should continue but not work off campus for that term as I did not meet the conditions which I diligently obeyed. Fast forward to 2018 graduation, my PGWP refused twice. I'm not sure if I can reapply because my 180 days have elapsed. Just a ft job I might have to defer, So sad please pm me so we can talk more

KP1001

Dec 27, 2019
Hi sherry

Edited: to anyone out there ran into some case as I was, feel free to PM me. It has been 3&half year since then. I've been working in a full time position at a really good company for 1 year &half by now. And went though PNP ITA EE ITA now waiting for my PR approval soon to come.

END= effort never dies just be positive and dont give up. Whatever the result night be at least you can tell yourself you've tried your best.

It turned out to be ok as I went back to school and got another diploma and re-applied. Don't give up if staying in Canada is something you really want. If you want to talk please pm your cell I can give you a call. Wish you best of luck

Btw I did spend a very intensive 2 year (all full time even summer ) and graduated with a high gpa. I was told and I do believe this now: PGWP officer would give second chance for someone who is really studying in Canada. So a good acdamic result (GPA) gives officer info that you are trying&doing your best studying.

Hi!
I withdrawed 2 courses out of 5 in my first semester and retook them in second semester. My third semester is also over while my fourth semester will start from January 2020. Will it affect my PGWP application? I'm very tensed. I'm throughout till now and I'll graduate from my program on time with at least 70% overall.