+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help on how to order CAIPS

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Hi Curina,,I am sure someone will respond with details. My experience with C.A.I.P.S. notes is to wait for whatever normal timeline is for your Visa office before ordering, just that if you order too early, you may not get a lot of info, although they seem to help a lot of people. Best Luck

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CAIPS should be ordered by a Canadian citizen only for an application processed outland.
It becomes useful only for any of the following reason :

• You cannot get an online status of your application
Your application is considerably delayed
  • Your enquiries are not replied by Visa Office
Your application is on hold for unknown reason

Curina

Star Member
Nov 28, 2008
Oh its not for me, I was just tring to help someone out. Its a bit confusing on how to order the caips in the first place and isnt this the best place to get some help...

Thanks anyways.

ParadiseCrystals

Feb 23, 2009
What Is 'CAIPS'?

CAIPS is short for 'Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System'. It is the computer system used by Citizenship & Immigration Canada to process overseas visa applications, and holds all the information on the current status of every immigration application.

Should I Get My File?

There are many situations where you may want to get your CAIPS file. If you have been asked to attend an interview, then you should definitely get your notes to find out why the interview was requested, so that you can be well prepared for the interview. Any reputable immigration consultant would request the CAIPS file in this circumstance.

Also, if you feel that your application is taking longer than usual, or you have not heard anything from the visa office for a surprisingly long time, then you should consider getting your CAIPS notes to check that your application is on track. You can often track unexplained delays down to missing letters or documents which become apparent as soon as the file is obtained. For example, CIC may have written to an applicant requesting additional references, educational transcripts or language tests, but the applicant may not have received such a request. Without CAIPS notes, the applicant would not have known that such a request was made.

Finally, if you have any other worry about your application status or progress, or are just generally curious as to what has happened so far, then you can get your CAIPS notes to put your mind at rest.

How Do I Get My CAIPS File?

Getting your file is fairly straight forward, but you will have to pay $ 5 if you are requesting CAIPS notes for your spouse, and they are not residing in Canada. Follow the instructions below:

Have your spouse fill out this form, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf Step by step instructions follow below:

Tick the box that says "I authorize Citizenship and Immigration Canada... ... to release information from my case file to the following individual."

Then have your spouse fill out all of his particulars (his/her name, DOB, location of VISA Processing centre, i.e. Islamabad, etc.)

Then fill out your personal information under the headings titled "Designated Individual."

Have your spouse sign AND date the form at the bottom (alternatively, you could sign for your spouse; I dont think they will notice).

OR, if you have already filled out this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5476E.PDF
then just send a photocopy of it along with 2. and 3..

You must now fill out this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf Step by step instructions follow below:

Leave the first two boxes at the top blank (Requesters Reference No. and Public Rights Administration file number). This is to be filled by the officer processing your request.

Tick the box that says "Access to Information Act ($ 5.00 fee)." Yes, you HAVE to pay $ 5, there is no way around this. Do not tick "Privacy Act" and hope they will just process it without you having to pay $ 5; this will NOT work. You must pay $ 5 since you are requesting the info on behalf of your spouse, and your spouse is not residing in Canada.

Select which language you wish to receive your notes in, English or French. (I do not know why these choices are under the "Privacy Act" sub-heading. I am assuming the choice of language is also afforded to those who are requesting their notes under the access to "Information Act," and this is just poor design. But I may be wrong (In that case, it wont make a difference).

Then tick the box which says "Receive copies of the Records."

Fill out your spouse's information under the "Client Information" box.

Under the next heading, "Request for- Required Information" box, tick the "CAIPS (information abroad)" box and write "Canadian High Commission (ISLAMABAD)" under the "Embassy" sub-heading, and write the "Visa File No." in the appropriate box. DO NOT check any other boxes in this section. Especially the "OVERSEAS VISA FILE" box. If you do this, they will pull your file aside, photocopy everything and send it to you. It will not only take you forever to get the information, but they will also take your file out of the queue to process your request and therefore it will take LONGER !!! (CAIPS is just a computer printout of all the work done on your file so far. It will not affect the speed at which your case is processed)

In the next heading, tick the box which says "This request is being made by a Canadian Citizen..." Fill out all of your information in this box, name, phone number, address, etc.

Sign and date.

Make out a cheque payable to the "Receiver General of Canada" for $ 5.

Enclose the cheque in an envelope with the other forms, and send it to the address below:

Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

smart_saqib143

Nov 21, 2008
Curina said:
Oh its not for me, I was just tring to help someone out. Its a bit confusing on how to order the caips in the first place and isnt this the best place to get some help...

Thanks anyways.
oh okay.

newbie2281

Jan 31, 2009

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I think if the sponsor who lives in Canada is ordering CAIPS notes on behalf of the applicant they only have to tick Privacy Act (no fees) I wish to examine the information as is. in English.
If the sponsor lives with the applicant outside Canada that's when they have to pay $5.00.
I have read in another thread if you tick Receive copies of the records it will delay the process since they have to take it out from the queue and photocopy the entire application. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case so that's why make sure to tick EXAMINE THE INFORMATION AS IS.
Good luck!!!

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Yeah you dont want copies of the file overseas that involves copying every thing in your application.