+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help for evaluating my chances of getting into these universities

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Thank you for your suggestions!

1. Thanks. I kind of had a gut feeling that no professor will choose me for MASc due to my poor academics.
2. I will be 100% be applying to those 3 but will apply to few others as well, just in case I get in luckily. Money is not a big issue.
3. Yes, after checking the international equivalency, almost all universities require Indian students to have 60%, First Class or B grade, which I do have in my Masters. But there's no mention if they want it to be throughout all my academics before Masters as well.
4. Thank you for the advice but I think not. My main goal is to study electronics as it's the only thing that adds value to my current expertise and the plans that I have for the future.

Thank you Simmidas, I will surely consider the points you mentioned and implement those I can. :)

Based on my personal understanding, your academics are good, to get into a research based masters at a tier-2 university perhaps. The only gamble is making a professor agree to supervise you. I think dropping a mail indicating your interest with your CV and transcript won't cost you anything or hurt in any ways. Most of the professor are polite and simply tell you about the funding situation under them. But I think it's just worth a try as contacting professor doesn't charge you anything.

Rest is your call, as most of the coursework masters program are pretty expensive. Good luck.

Petito

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
Based on my personal understanding, your academics are good, to get into a research based masters at a tier-2 university perhaps. The only gamble is making a professor agree to supervise you. I think dropping a mail indicating your interest with your CV and transcript won't cost you anything or hurt in any ways. Most of the professor are polite and simply tell you about the funding situation under them. But I think it's just worth a try as contacting professor doesn't charge you anything.

Rest is your call, as most of the coursework masters program are pretty expensive. Good luck.
Mr. Sam, in which university you are in?

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for the confidence boost kind sir.

I agree my BCA academics are shit but my MCA is at 60% which is the minimum requirement for almost all universities.

Which leaves me in a bit of a confused spot.

Yet, I will try emailing the professors. If not research, I atleast want to do a project which will help learn a few extra things.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
I am only worried about one thing. The September 2021 applications began in September 2020.

I fear that they might have received hundreds of applications by now which may further reduce my chance.

geekseek

Oct 7, 2020
Thank you for the confidence boost kind sir.

I agree my BCA academics are shit but my MCA is at 60% which is the minimum requirement for almost all universities.

Which leaves me in a bit of a confused spot.

Yet, I will try emailing the professors. If not research, I atleast want to do a project which will help learn a few extra things.
In most universities barring some, you don't need a supervisor's approval to do project-based masters.

Reactions: lolcocks

geekseek

Oct 7, 2020
I am only worried about one thing. The September 2021 applications began in September 2020.

I fear that they might have received hundreds of applications by now which may further reduce my chance.
Only a few universities in Canada have a rolling system but most evaluate profiles after the cutoff dates. there will be one or two cut off dates. Just follow the dates and apply accordingly.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Yeah, but research based masters allow you to gain funding more than project/coursework masters. In case money is not the concern (someone mentioned about expected cost of education being lower than 20k CAD). Also, best part about research based masters is in 95% the cases, if the professor is willing to take you, there's nothing stopping you from getting the admit.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Only a few universities in Canada have a rolling system but most evaluate profiles after the cutoff dates. there will be one or two cut off dates. Just follow the dates and apply accordingly.
Oh I see, thank you for this information, gives me some time to find professors and get the reference letters ready. Should take me about a week more to apply.

In most universities barring some, you don't need a supervisor's approval to do project-based masters.
I am a little confused.

MASc can be research based or project based.
MEng can be project based or course based.

Is that correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, but research based masters allow you to gain funding more than project/coursework masters. In case money is not the concern (someone mentioned about expected cost of education being lower than 20k CAD). Also, best part about research based masters is in 95% the cases, if the professor is willing to take you, there's nothing stopping you from getting the admit.
Funding is not an issue as I have a tendency to save which ended up being helpful as even during the pandemic I can think about studying in Canada.

But yes, the second part of directly getting an admit is quite beneficial.

Is it possible to get under a professor for a project instead of research. But I know nothing about research, haven't even written a single research paper. But I would love to work under a project.

Do professors only accept researchers or can they accept people willing to work under them for a project?

Reactions: Wh1teH0rsE

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
I mentioned initially that supervisors/professors should be willing to work with you. If you really want to gets accepted in under any professors, this is how things work, I may be wrong here but this has been my experience.

Each professor works in a specific field, if your research idea is something that is somewhat related to what the professor in into and you can prove enough evidence in terms of previous research, papers, publication or any project then you are in luck and can expect a response. Also, I want to highlight one more point, Many professors tend to pick up students from their undergraduate student cohort with whom they have already worked for the master's research. It like the seats get filled much in advance. Those students who really want to work on any research with professors also engage with them at least a year in advance. You don't need to apply to a program to get engaged to the professor. Most professors will have their personal website where they will put up all the details of their work, research as well as openings for research intern. One can start from there.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
I mentioned initially that supervisors/professors should be willing to work with you. If you really want to gets accepted in under any professors, this is how things work, I may be wrong here but this has been my experience.

Each professor works in a specific field, if your research idea is something that is somewhat related to what the professor in into and you can prove enough evidence in terms of previous research, papers, publication or any project then you are in luck and can expect a response. Also, I want to highlight one more point, Many professors tend to pick up students from their undergraduate student cohort with whom they have already worked for the master's research. It like the seats get filled much in advance. Those students who really want to work on any research with professors also engage with them at least a year in advance. You don't need to apply to a program to get engaged to the professor. Most professors will have their personal website where they will put up all the details of their work, research as well as openings for research intern. One can start from there.
Thank you for the guidance!

I know you suggested me to avoid MASc as professors won't be willing to work with me but since my previous professors have yet to respond regarding reference letters, I thought I will try my hand on grabbing Canadian professors to see if they are willing to accept me under them.

By the time my previous professors respond, if I don't get any Canadian Professors to accept me, I will go ahead with MEng.

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
I looked at UOttawa but the information is quite confusing, does it have compulsory thesis/research or I can avoid it? If its not compulsory, then I may think about applying there.
As much as I read and understood it has compulsory thesis programs for MSc in CS