+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help for evaluating my chances of getting into these universities

Oct 10, 2020
Hey guys, I am planning to apply to these universities for MSc in Computers for fall 2021

University of Alberta
Simon Fraser University
Dalhousie University
Queen's University
University of Manitoba
University of Regina
University of Victoria

My academics are
10th - 91.2%
12th - 82%
Bachelors of Engineering in Computers - 8.66 CGPA
IELTS - 8 overall (8.5 R 8.5 L 7 W 7 S)
GRE - 325 (169 Q 156 V 4.5 AWA)

Can you tell me if I'll be able to get into them? You can also suggest some universities if you think I can get into them. I am planning to apply to 7 universities so I have to shortlist them. The only conditions are that the annual fees be around or less than $20k and I want to totally avoid any universities who have thesis based course.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
You have a good profile. You just need to look at which schools (if any) have tuition under $20k.
Avoid Victoria and Manitoba, both the Universities require advance supervisor approval irrespective it's a Course Based Masters. In Victoria only two programs (MTIS, MADS) are such where you do not need supervisor. Also, the acceptance rate in Masters is very low in both the Universities. Instead save the money and apply to some other University.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Avoid Victoria and Manitoba, both the Universities require advance supervisor approval irrespective it's a Course Based Masters. In Victoria only two programs (MTIS, MADS) are such where you do not need supervisor. Also, the acceptance rate in Masters is very low in both the Universities. Instead save the money and apply to some other University.
Damn! And both of them were on my list of universities to apply.

Any other universities which are difficult to get into for masters?

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Which Universities are in your list and for which Program?
I am trying for MASc or MEng in Electornics and Computer Engineering. Basically the main goal is to learn electronics, no matter the program.
My academics are poor,

Bachlors (BCA): 49.5%
Masters (MCA): 60%
IELTS: L-8.5, R-8.5, W-6.5, S-7.0. Overall - 7.5
1.5 Year Experience

As suggested by tapperb, I am applying for all the Tier 3 and Tier 4 universities in his list:
University of Ottawa
Carleton University
University of Victoria
University of Manitoba
Dalhousie University
Windsor University
University of Saskachewan

I am considering to apply for Tier 2 even though my chances are super low.
University of Alberta
McMaster University
University of Calgary
Concordia University

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
I am trying for MASc or MEng in Electornics and Computer Engineering. Basically the main goal is to learn electronics, no matter the program.
My academics are poor,

1.5 Year Experience

As suggested by tapperb, I am applying for all the Tier 3 and Tier 4 universities in his list:
University of Ottawa
Carleton University
University of Victoria
University of Manitoba
Dalhousie University
Windsor University

University of Alberta
McMaster University
University of Calgary
Concordia University
So here are few things,
1. Do not apply to MASC programs as they are research based. Most students with top of the grades with numerous research and papers in bachelor's or otherwise get accepted. This is where most toppers go from all over world.
2. Bases on your grades you have targeted very competitive Universities. To be realistic apply to Windsor, Dalhousie and Concordia only in this list and also have some less popular Universities which you can call safe Universities.
3. Every University will have details of lowest cut off marks, follow that and then apply otherwise you will waste lots of money.
4. Computing is the most sought after feild. Keep one or two options in non computer feild as well.

Reactions: lolcocks

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
So here are few things,
1. Do not apply to MASC programs as they are research based. Most students with top of the grades with numerous research and papers in bachelor's or otherwise get accepted. This is where most toppers go from all over world.
2. Bases on your grades you have targeted very competitive Universities. To be realistic apply to Windsor, Dalhousie and Concordia only in this list and also have some less popular Universities which you can call safe Universities.
3. Every University will have details of lowest cut off marks, follow that and then apply otherwise you will waste lots of money.
4. Computing is the most sought after feild. Keep one or two options in non computer feild as well.

Thank you for your suggestions!

1. Thanks. I kind of had a gut feeling that no professor will choose me for MASc due to my poor academics.
2. I will be 100% be applying to those 3 but will apply to few others as well, just in case I get in luckily. Money is not a big issue.
3. Yes, after checking the international equivalency, almost all universities require Indian students to have 60%, First Class or B grade, which I do have in my Masters. But there's no mention if they want it to be throughout all my academics before Masters as well.
4. Thank you for the advice but I think not. My main goal is to study electronics as it's the only thing that adds value to my current expertise and the plans that I have for the future.

Thank you Simmidas, I will surely consider the points you mentioned and implement those I can. :)

Reactions: Simmidas

Mohan532

Mar 5, 2020
My academics are poor,

1.5 Year Experience

University of Ottawa
Carleton University
University of Victoria
University of Manitoba
Dalhousie University
Windsor University

University of Alberta
McMaster University
University of Calgary
Concordia University
I think you have selected fair universities to apply to, though the acceptance rate for top tier universities can be limited, but it will give more chances to be approved for SP for a higher tier university than the others. (which matters the most)
I hope you will acceptance from atleast a couple of above universities. Keep ur fingers crossed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Disagree that you shouldn’t apply just because of those reasons. Why are you under the impression that acceptance rates are lower especially U of Manitoba?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys, I am planning to apply to these universities for MSc in Computers for fall 2021

University of Alberta
Simon Fraser University
Dalhousie University
Queen's University
University of Manitoba
University of Regina
University of Victoria

My academics are
10th - 91.2%
12th - 82%
Bachelors of Engineering in Computers - 8.66 CGPA
IELTS - 8 overall (8.5 R 8.5 L 7 W 7 S)
GRE - 325 (169 Q 156 V 4.5 AWA)

Can you tell me if I'll be able to get into them? You can also suggest some universities if you think I can get into them. I am planning to apply to 7 universities so I have to shortlist them. The only conditions are that the annual fees be around or less than $20k and I want to totally avoid any universities who have thesis based course.
Have you looked at Ottawa or Carleton?

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Disagree that you shouldn’t apply just because of those reasons. Why are you under the impression that acceptance rates are lower especially U of Manitoba?
OP asked for a public opinion which I tried to share based on my personal experience and There are enough evidence to prove the point. Please check the acceptance rate given in the links below for both the university. I am also giving link of Alberta and Dal for the comparison. These are only India stats, if OP is from some other country, then I may be wrong but the general perception should not change.

One thing which I didn't mention OP that based on her track record, her chances of getting into all the tier two University from his/her list of very high, especially Concordia. Even UCal acceptance rate is much better than those two which I said.

UoM- https://yocket.in/graduate-programs/university-of-manitoba/computer-science-34676

UVic - https://yocket.in/graduate-programs/university-of-victoria/computer-science-34671

Alberta - https://yocket.in/graduate-programs/university-of-alberta-edmonton/computing-science-38843

Dal - https://yocket.in/graduate-programs/dalhousie-university-nova-scotia/computer-science-34678

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Have you looked at Ottawa or Carleton?
It is easier to get into Ottawa then Carleton. Their computer science programs are jointly delivered by both the Universities. Students can take courses from the each other University. .
http://www.ocics.ca/

I would also talk about another issue with UVic and Regina, both the Universities are last to declare their results (UVic declared in end of July this year and Regina in June). This is not enough time until to apply for fall intake unless someone is deferring to apply for study permit on time.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020
Then I have to avoid UVictoria and UManitoba as I don't wanna waste money on fruitless applications. I was gonna apply to University to Calgary but their GRE requirements for verbal and AWA are very high so had to avoid it. Can you suggest 2 public universities other than what I have written which I can get into. I am a guy by the way.