+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help - Do I have to file taxes?

Pmom79

Apr 22, 2019
I have been a Canadian Permanent Resident for >12 years, but I left Canada for my home country where I am a citizen late 2018. It looks like I likely will not be returning and I already notified CRA once I moved and stopped my benefits.

With April 30 approaching. I am looking at my options for tax filing. It was brought to my attention that I may not even need to file taxes this year. I am a single parent, and while I was previously employed, I did not have income in 2018, other than the CCB benefits. I sold off the little I had when I left. My friend referred me to the Canada website, where it talks about if you return to your home country, you are for the most part considered a noncitizen. It also lists the criteria for having to file taxes and did not appear that I needed to file a tax and since i had no Canada income in 18 or world income, it did not look like I had to. Am I reading this correctly or incorrectly? Either way, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing prior to the tax deadline. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been a Canadian Permanent Resident for >12 years, but I left Canada for my home country where I am a citizen late 2018. It looks like I likely will not be returning and I already notified CRA once I moved and stopped my benefits.

With April 30 approaching. I am looking at my options for tax filing. It was brought to my attention that I may not even need to file taxes this year. I am a single parent, and while I was previously employed, I did not have income in 2018, other than the CCB benefits. I sold off the little I had when I left. My friend referred me to the Canada website, where it talks about if you return to your home country, you are for the most part considered a noncitizen. It also lists the criteria for having to file taxes and did not appear that I needed to file a tax and since i had no Canada income in 18 or world income, it did not look like I had to. Am I reading this correctly or incorrectly? Either way, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing prior to the tax deadline. Thanks!
You have to file. You were a resident for tax purposes for 2018. Assume you are saying you lived off savings this year and didn't work or receive any support payments.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also need to notify the provincial health program that you have left the country so nobody can use your healthcare number fraudulently.

Pmom79

Apr 22, 2019
You also need to notify the provincial health program that you have left the country so nobody can use your healthcare number fraudulently.
Thanks for the response. I already took care of all the notifications before I left. Thank you also for the initial response as well.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
You should file a tax return. On page one of the T1 General, under the section "Information about your residence" indicate the date you left Canada.