+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP ASAP!

kianyaleszkovics

Aug 31, 2012
I am a American Citizen, and my Husband of 3 years is Canadian and lives in Winnipeg,MB. We both came across the border December 2011 and was married November 2011. I have been here in Canada for 8 months now and during that time i was given a 1 year extension and still in the process of filling out paperwork to become a permanent Resident. I just found out that I'm pregnant, but Manitoba Health won't cover me for anything. I just want to know if i am able to go back to the U.S to get medical care and give birth to our baby and come back across the border without any problems. This is so stressful. And i don't want to be separated from my husband, and it will be very upsetting to abort my unborn child. Please i need some answers :(

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
hey,

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I hope it doesn't create too much stress.

When you live Canada, and want to re-enter, your extension is cancelled, and you start "again" - so there is always a risk of being denied entry at the border. However, if you prepare for it, it should be OK - i think.

If you can, you should file the application, or at least pay the fee for it, and bring the receipt for that when you come back to Canada, so you can show at the border that you are in the process of filing your application and obtaining a long term status in canada.

There is never a guaranty that you will be allowed into the country, but you can prepare to maximize your chances. There are plenty of US/can couples on the forum and I'm sure they'll comment more and give you some useful advices.

Cheers, and good luck,
Sweden

backcountry

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-12
AOR Received.
26-06-12
File Transfer...
28-06-12
Med's Done....
07-01-12
Passport Req..
20-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-12
LANDED..........
04-12-12
Perhaps Manitoba offers free midwifery care to women as is the case in Ontario. Here's a link you might want to check out, it has a phone number you can call to find out if that's the case.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/maternal/midwifery.html

My wife and I are also expecting a child and like you she does not qualify for our provincial healthcare yet (OHIP), so we've engaged the services of a midwife. We do not pay for visits/consultations with her (right now once per month, but further along in the pregnancy it'll be down to once per week, just as it would be if we were seeing a physician), nor will we have to pay to have her attend the birth along with an "assistant" midwife. Midwives are at least as qualified, legally and practically, as a physician when it pertains to pregnancy and childbirth. Their services are covered by the Ontario government whether or not the client/patient is a bonafide resident of Ontario. What we do have to pay for out of pocket is bloodwork and ultrasounds (less than $500 total) and if the birth must occur in a hospital (we're planning a home birth if at all possible), we will have to pay hospital/attending physician fees which, I'm told run around $3000 for a "normal" birth and $5000 for a c-section. As long as there are no complications, the midwife is legally permitted to attend the birth at home and does not have to refer her client/patient to the hospital. We've found the entire experience with our midwife to be excellent to date. My wife is 23 weeks pregnant, due date is Christmas Day!

And remember, once the baby is born in Canada, he or she is automatically a citizen and immediately qualifies or medical care should there be a need.

Please don't let uncertainty and stress cause you to abort your baby, things'll be fine. Just put a push on and get your paperwork submitted as soon as possible.

All the best!

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
I'm seconding the midwife suggestion. I clicked the Winnipeg link, and got this:
http://www.wrha.mb.ca/community/primarycare/midwifery.php

"In June 2000 the Midwifery and Consequential Amendments Act was proclaimed making midwifery services available to women in Manitoba. There is no cost for this service."

So you should be able to use free midwifery care like backcountry is doing.

kianyaleszkovics

Aug 31, 2012
THANX! lol i'm going with a midwife /home birth option. its much more affordable. i just hope my pregnancy goes normal so i wont have to go to the hospital at all to give birth. im praying that everything will be okay because i would hate to be denied entry back into canada to recieve medical attention back in the states. is their anything else i need to know about midwifery? any qualifications? any past experiences? thanx.