+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP AND ADVISE WITH FINDING A JOB IN CANADA

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello board members,

My spouse applied for Canadian LPR and our entire family was granted LPR status in Canada.

Ever since we landed and returned to US my wife was browsing Canadian job sites, trying to get an interview for a job.
She was applying for jobs directly related to her Skilled Imm. Code, as well as for jobs in other fields.
She even used our Canadian mailing address in resumes, so it wouldnt look at first glance that someone was applying from abroad (and, presumably, needed a sponsorship). Lately, I have added my efforts, also applying for various jobs in Canada.

But, to no avail. We don't even get a call to an interview.

I personaly am doing fine, me and my spouse are both employed full time in US.
We are not doctors, engeneers nor in IT or Oil sector, but we are solidly middle class income wise.
I would not move to Canada right now if it was up to me , but my spouse really wants to and wants our kids go to school/college, mature and live over there.
And I understand why: it's more secure over there for children, it's more peaceful, people are gentler towards each other (which I can't deny, even though I love US very much) and quality of life is perhaps higher in Canada, despite incomes and buying power being lower than here. These are the things that are more important for a mother of growing children than her own personal comfort. And for me, whatever my family wants is what I will stand by and support.

But my question is this: how do we go about finding a job in Canada? Could anyone give any advise, as to how we go about finding a job? After applying for so many jobs with zero responce I am getting a feeling that there are no professional jobs ,or even entry level jobs .And if there are any jobs then they are either not advertised on the net or are filled by personal reference, or are competitive to the point that you may never land an interview or actual job (simply because there are always dozens upon dozens of candidates who are better qualified than you and who apply for each advertised job that you apply for).

So, what shall we do? How can we get a job?

If we don't move there within a certain deadline our permant residency will no longer be valid (we will not be able to meet 730 days in 5 years requirement), and to be fair to all the other LPR's our family will NOT try to get into country past the deadline. As much as the regulaiton is unfair in current economic conditions, where people are unable to find jobs and therefore forced to stay out of Canada, still, these ARE Canadian regulations, and we will not make a home of our new adoptive country by breaking any of the rules it has imposed as a condition of accepting us as one of her own. So, please don't ask or suggest anything in that regard.

But how do you find a professional job in Canada as a newcomer, in current economic conditions?

Please advise!

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The majority of jobs are not advertised - they are staffed by referencing and recruitment agencies. So making contacts in the industry is the major avenue for job hunting now.

Finding job online is also possible, but this is extremely rare and often subjective. For example, one hiring manager I know recruited a woman from Carribean recently, and when I asked why, he said the woman reminded him of hardworking and struggling black women he met in the past, so he had confidence in her potential to succeed due to high ambition.

Regarding quality of life - very debatable. You mentioned canadians are gentler to each other. Well, at the surface yes - they will smile and act friendly, but as soon as you start working with them and they see you are a threat to them (you are more qualified), they will start reporting to manager behind your back every minor detail, blowing it up into disaster until the manager decides you do not fit in and terminates you.

Most of us are here because we have nowhere else to go. If you already have full time jobs in US, you have zero advantage in restarting life from zero.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it's very disappointing to hear.... :(
Is this a sentiment shared by large number of newly settled migrants in Canada?

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not a sentiment - these are all facts.
You yourself said none of you got interview call. If Canada had structural job market and not reference-and-network based recruitment, you would have been called. As I said, online applications also yield results, but this is extremely rare. I was hired based on application and now everybody hates me on job as "unwanted guest" because everybody else came as someone's protege (friend, former employee) and I am self-invited.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's actually great that it worked for you.
It didn;t work for us so far and we haven't got any responces when we used it (the same site, but in English).

One other poster recommended kijiji.

I guess we will search at both sites, send our resumes again and see what happens.

Any other suggestions, other job banks you are aware of or recruiters that are real (not scam, not asking a fee for a job and not overwhelemed by
over abundance of qualified candidates)?

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful on kijiji - there is plenty of scam there.

Linkedin has a lot of reputable job postings, sometimes you can even see how many people applied from the post. I would try that one.

Try also government webs - e.g. Google "government of Alberta jobs".

The advice that I give to myself - Don't be discouraged and don't have many hopes associated with online postings. 80% per cent of jobs are not advertised and even when they are posted, managers already have an internal candidate in mind for it. My company advertised in the past 6 months a dozen jobs, and guess what? All positins were filled by internal candidates after hundreds of interviews with external candidates. My hiring was unavoidable because my job requires fluency in a language that none of their amazing internal candidates speaks.

david1697 said:
It's actually great that it worked for you.
It didn;t work for us so far and we haven't got any responces when we used it (the same site, but in English).

One other poster recommended kijiji.

I guess we will search at both sites, send our resumes again and see what happens.

Any other suggestions, other job banks you are aware of or recruiters that are real (not scam, not asking a fee for a job and not overwhelemed by
over abundance of qualified candidates)?

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your advise.

We didn't apply for gov jobs, but definitely will.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Why would you move from USA where there are plenty of jobs to Canada where it is hard to even get a full time minimum wage job?

It just does not make any sense whatsoever.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
USA is a great country, in fact I love it and I will always love it. It is bettern than overwhelming majority of countries in the rest of the world.
At the same time, we believe Canada has several advantages over USA where it comes to raising and sending children to schoold and colleges. We believe it has gentler society. We also are willing to sacrifice our ability to buy more things at lower prices in exchange for higehr quality of life. We are mature enough to know that there is more to quality of life than the number of things one can buy. I tried to express these points in my original post.

My only concern is: can we, as newly settling immigrants without a network, find professional employment in Canada, at all?
Because if we can't then we will be forced to stay out and loose our LPR status in Canada.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
david1697 said:
My only concern is: can we, as newly settling immigrants without a network, find professional employment in Canada, at all?
No.

The reasons in your post about moving to Canada read like a tourist brochure while the reality is quite different. What you believe is not necessarily the truth. I don't know your financial situation and maybe you have saved up quite a lot in which case you are willing to take the risk. I am sorry to tell you that money talks here the same like in US. I moved from Canada to Thailand and it's same here. People are super nice, calm, Buddhists, rarely any arguments yet if I was broke life would not be pleasant here.

At the end it's your choice.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This should be an eye opener for most people

Unstable jobs, high living costs spur more families to seek relief

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/12/01/hunger_report_use_of_food_banks_soaring_across_ontario.html

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
mrbeachman said:
No.

The reasons in your post about moving to Canada read like a tourist brochure while the reality is quite different. What you believe is not necessarily the truth. I don't know your financial situation and maybe you have saved up quite a lot in which case you are willing to take the risk. I am sorry to tell you that money talks here the same like in US. I moved from Canada to Thailand and it's same here. People are super nice, calm, Buddhists, rarely any arguments yet if I was broke life would not be pleasant here.

At the end it's your choice.
So this means Canada is not the place for newly settling immigrants at all???

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ David and Handsup,

I can't say 'don't come' but its just bad times at the moment. Lots of uncertainties in the economy at the moment (falling canadian dollar and oil prices). I wish you here before 2008. It was way easier than now. Even people at work are discussing potential layoffs if the price of oil keeps falling, especially for those of us in Alberta.

Its not just Immigrants, even among Canadians (some still have to network) it is not easy to get a job, although they stand a better chance than an Immigrant.

You can move but make sure your financial game is strong. Understand you can easily be sitting at home for 6 months to a year depending on where you are. So be ready to take care of yourself if there is no Job. And your first opportunity might not necessarily be something in your field so don't turn it down. Its a foot by the door.

Prepare for the worst but hope for the best type of deal.