+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help and advice about work permit

max1

Dec 19, 2017
Hi all,
I came to Canada through land border and claimed asylum as my sister is a Canadian citizen. I arrived end of July and was given a date for hearing end of September. I stayed at my sister's house for a week then I got my own place at my own expense. After about a month or so I ran out of money and as I was advised at the border, contacted social assistance. Had an interview with a case worker and I told her about my situation and asked that if I could be issued a work permit as I have never stayed on welfare anywhere and I would like to find a job. The case worker said that I cant apply for a work permit until my hearing. My hearing got postponed till further notice. I again contacted my case worker and I told her that my hearing has been postponed and it might take up to a year. I told her that I have been working all my life and I feel depressed just staying at home without work, also I dont want to be a burden on the government. Again she replied that I cannot apply for a work permit until after my hearing.
I want to ask the members is it true that I cant apply for a work permit? I have heard that refugee claimants have gotten work permits. Could there be any other reason that my case worker doesnt want me to work?
Sorry for the long post.
God bless you all... God bless Canada.

AAA12345

Sep 19, 2017
"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
  • If you are a refugee claimant you will need to prove that you cannot support yourself without recourse to social assistance (welfare). For example, if you are currently receiving social assistance, attach a letter from the provincial social services department indicating you are receiving money or attach a cheque stub if it indicates clearly that is was issued by the provincial social services department.
"

Apparently you can apply for a work permit only if you can prove in your application that you can no longer financially support yourself. Please check the link above and the quoted segment.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Has it been determined that you are eligible to apply for asylum? I think that is the initial hearing they are referring to. You should be able to get a work permit after that if you are receiving social assistance. I would try and follow up to see when you may get that initial hearing. Shows you how long the backlog has gotten!

max1

Dec 19, 2017
Has it been determined that you are eligible to apply for asylum? I think that is the initial hearing they are referring to. You should be able to get a work permit after that if you are receiving social assistance. I would try and follow up to see when you may get that initial hearing. Shows you how long the backlog has gotten!
Is that determined on the first hearing or the border that I am eligible to apply for asylum?

max1

Dec 19, 2017
"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
  • If you are a refugee claimant you will need to prove that you cannot support yourself without recourse to social assistance (welfare). For example, if you are currently receiving social assistance, attach a letter from the provincial social services department indicating you are receiving money or attach a cheque stub if it indicates clearly that is was issued by the provincial social services department.
"

Apparently you can apply for a work permit only if you can prove in your application that you can no longer financially support yourself. Please check the link above and the quoted segment.

Good luck!
thanks dear