+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need guidance regarding claiming Asylum at POE

Khedosha

Nov 11, 2017
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here,

Background: I'm a female from the GCC area, and I've had my fair share of arrests and lashing's for my political views (long story). which wasn't a problem for me, but it reached a point where I'm oppressed by my own community as well at this point, and this is where I cant stay here anymore. (i'm a citizen by the way, not an expat)

I was successfully granted a visitor's visa to Toronto last week, and I'll be leaving in early February for the conference that I'm invited to, my plan is to make a refugee claim at the airport.

my concern is, I'm seriously afraid that the immigration officer at the airport might revoke my visa and deport me the minute I mention asylum, or worse, detain me. so my question is, is it a possibility that they deport me for wanting to claim asylum? does it usually happen for refugee applicants? (keep in mind I'll use my legit passport, no fake documents)

another concern is, if I decided to make a claim inside of Canada, I'm a bit afraid that for what ever reason they decide to not grant me entry to Canada in the first place, that is why I'm thinking about claiming at the airport.

so in that case, who should I approach about claiming asylum when I land at the airport? the first officer at the first passport counter? or should I tell him its a normal visit, and only mention asylum to the second officer if they refer me to inspection?

please, if anyone applied for their claim at the airport, share your experience, with each steps at the airport, it will be extremely helpful.

Sorry for the long post.

and thanks in advance

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
One of my friend claimed on airport & was harassed a lot.make sure u delete all the data on your cell phone before u come.they will check all of ur devices for sure.
I entered canada with a valid visit visa then claimed inland.yesterday I was granted refugee status.
Claiming on port is always a plus point.as per law they can't deport u unless u committed some serious crime.

Last edited:

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
One of my friend claimed on airport & was harassed a lot.make sure u delete all the data on your cell phone before u come.they will check all of ur devices for sure.
I entered canada with a valid visit visa then claimed inland.yesterday I was granted refugee status.
Claiming on port is always a plus point.as per law they can't deport u unless u committed some serious crime.
Congratulation !!

so how long you waited for your hearing ? any advise for hearing day how was your experience ??

VMSF

Nov 5, 2017
Asking regarding your friend.. you said he/she was harassed when claimed at the airport? Is it only because he/she requested asylum at airport? or there was an issue with his/her legal entry?

As far as I read, that claiming at airport doesn't subject you to detention or harassment unless there's a reason for that like security risk, forged documents, or breaking a law of some sort. can you please confirm?

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
The officer threw the passport on his face and said he doesn't believe his story !! For no reason.
But the fact is CBSA agent is no one to judge the claim !

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
But the fact is CBSA agent is no one to judge the claim !
Actually, the CBSA officers notes on the initial interview carry significant weight during the review, particularly if it’s the Ministers Delegate. He/she may not make the final decision, but they are the government representative and their opinion won’t be discounted.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
My suggestion would be to find an immigration lawyer in toronto and file your refugee claim AFTER you entered Canada.

A lawyer will help you to fill all the required forms, arrange your story/evidence, accompany you to the inland immigration office to claim refugee and represent you through the refugee hearing. This will greatly maximize your chances of success.

It seems you have a very legitimate reason to enter Canada, so you’ve shouldn’t have any issue when entering Canada. Claiming refugee at the airport is too chaotic, you can leave this as a very last resource.

And even if you choose to claim refugee at the point of entry, please have a lawyer arranged!

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Asking regarding your friend.. you said he/she was harassed when claimed at the airport? Is it only because he/she requested asylum at airport? or there was an issue with his/her legal entry?

As far as I read, that claiming at airport doesn't subject you to detention or harassment unless there's a reason for that like security risk, forged documents, or breaking a law of some sort. can you please confirm?
Quoting my lawyer: “Crazy things happen when you make a refugee claim at a POE. Here the CBSA agents have too much power and can make you miserable.”

I don’t know how much have you travelled to other countries, but in my personal experience, immigration officers at POEs are the most scary ones to deal with. If they don’t like you they can screw you up easily.

Reactions: Khedosha

Khedosha

Nov 11, 2017
My suggestion would be to find an immigration lawyer in toronto and file your refugee claim AFTER you entered Canada.

A lawyer will help you to fill all the required forms, arrange your story/evidence, accompany you to the inland immigration office to claim refugee and represent you through the refugee hearing. This will greatly maximize your chances of success.

It seems you have a very legitimate reason to enter Canada, so you’ve shouldn’t have any issue when entering Canada. Claiming refugee at the airport is too chaotic, you can leave this as a very last resource.

And even if you choose to claim refugee at the point of entry, please have a lawyer arranged!

Thank you very much gavendano for your reply,

Yes my purpose of visit is very legitimate, but you never know, airport officers can go on power trips for no reason sometimes, I've heard stories about people getting their visa's revoked for absolutely no reason especially for single women coming from our regions.

I'll go there with the intention of applying for asylum inland after I enter the country, and only claim asylum at the airport as a last resort if they give me a lot of trouble. so fingers crossed.

thanks again :)

Reactions: gavendano

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Best of luck!
If you can, contact a lawyer right now and tell them about your case, that way they could guide you on what sort of evidence to get before you leave your country.

R

rish888

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here,

Background: I'm a female from the GCC area, and I've had my fair share of arrests and lashing's for my political views (long story). which wasn't a problem for me, but it reached a point where I'm oppressed by my own community as well at this point, and this is where I cant stay here anymore. (i'm a citizen by the way, not an expat)

I was successfully granted a visitor's visa to Toronto last week, and I'll be leaving in early February for the conference that I'm invited to, my plan is to make a refugee claim at the airport.

my concern is, I'm seriously afraid that the immigration officer at the airport might revoke my visa and deport me the minute I mention asylum, or worse, detain me. so my question is, is it a possibility that they deport me for wanting to claim asylum? does it usually happen for refugee applicants? (keep in mind I'll use my legit passport, no fake documents)

another concern is, if I decided to make a claim inside of Canada, I'm a bit afraid that for what ever reason they decide to not grant me entry to Canada in the first place, that is why I'm thinking about claiming at the airport.

so in that case, who should I approach about claiming asylum when I land at the airport? the first officer at the first passport counter? or should I tell him its a normal visit, and only mention asylum to the second officer if they refer me to inspection?

please, if anyone applied for their claim at the airport, share your experience, with each steps at the airport, it will be extremely helpful.

Sorry for the long post.

and thanks in advance
Forgive my prying but from the GCC as in a citizen of a GCC state or one of the surrounding countries?
Lashings as in figurative or literal?

You clearly known English and based on your post you seem to be well educated. Have you considered applying for Permanent Residence in Canada? The GCC is most certainly not the free world but it is not as bad as the neighboring countries. You can also exercise your free movement rights to stay in a slightly more tolerant GCC country while you wait for permanent residence. (Assuming you are eligible to apply.)

To answer your original query, you can most certainly seek asylum at the airport, and they cannot send you back on the next flight for doing so. However, you best bet is enter as a tourist then make a well prepared inland application.

Good luck!