+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Guidance for SOWP. Consultants are saying different things

JN123

Oct 7, 2019
Hi,

I am currently in India. My husband is in Canada as a student from this September. I had applied for a visitor visa but it got rejected -reason I will not come back. I am then speaking to different consultants in Canada where some have told me to re-apply for visitor and then come to Canada and apply for SOWP. Some are telling me to directly apply for SOWP from India.

People with SOWP experience please guide as to applying for SOWP before Visitor is better. If yes then is it viable to apply in India or in Canada. I want to go the right way and not mess anything up. Please help.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should apply SOWP. Spouses of international students aren’t guaranteed a visa/permit but you can apply and see what happens.

khushboosingh

Jan 9, 2018
Hi,

I am currently in India. My husband is in Canada as a student from this September. I had applied for a visitor visa but it got rejected -reason I will not come back. I am then speaking to different consultants in Canada where some have told me to re-apply for visitor and then come to Canada and apply for SOWP. Some are telling me to directly apply for SOWP from India.

People with SOWP experience please guide as to applying for SOWP before Visitor is better. If yes then is it viable to apply in India or in Canada. I want to go the right way and not mess anything up. Please help.
Hi
I guess we are in the same boat. My husband is in India and I'm in Canada on a student permit. I had applied for a work permit for him at the same time of my application but it got rejected. Consultant advised me to go ahead and start studies, and for him to reapply for work permit. She said no for a visitor visa for him because then the intent would have been incorrect. Patiently waiting or his VISA to get through...

JN123

Oct 7, 2019
Hi
I guess we are in the same boat. My husband is in India and I'm in Canada on a student permit. I had applied for a work permit for him at the same time of my application but it got rejected. Consultant advised me to go ahead and start studies, and for him to reapply for work permit. She said no for a visitor visa for him because then the intent would have been incorrect. Patiently waiting or his VISA to get through...
So have you guys applied for his work permit again? I am applying for the GCMS notes and thinking for re-applying for the visitor visa again.

JN123

Oct 7, 2019
Agree TRV is for temporary visits. Since your spouse wants to remain in Canada they should apply for SOWP.
My concern is that if I apply for SOWP now and it gets rejected then applying for TRV later is sure short rejection. Don't you think?

raj_mann

Oct 6, 2019
Hi,

Apply for SOWP, chances of rejection are less as compared to visitors visa though nothing is guaranteed. All de best

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My concern is that if I apply for SOWP now and it gets rejected then applying for TRV later is sure short rejection. Don't you think?
Unless she has extremely strong proof that she is visiting you for a short amount of time and then will be going home she isn’t a temporary visitor she wants to stay in Canada. In that case the only option is a SOWP.

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Don’t apply for TRV when your spouse is in Canada on student visa .
SOWP is the best option.
Let me know if you guys need any help .

thanks