+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarity on Spouse/Partner questionnaire (IMM 5490) Q's 24-26

dc8800

Feb 2, 2011
Hi all,

Really appreciate all the help on the forum. I have searched the forum on this question but I still need a bit more clarification on these menacing questions titled "maintaining contact".

1. Are these questions assuming that the sponsor is separated from the his/her spouse/partner because he is in Canada and she is not?

2. Does "during the period of your relationship" refer to post-marriage (since hitherto the questionnaire has covered all questions up to the wedding/reception/honeymoon)? Or am I suppose to list all visits to one another whenever we've been apart since we started dating?

3. Assuming #2 is only during married time, what if we've been living together ever since we got married? I mean, I've left my wife for short periods of time when I travel out of town, but we've never lived apart. What do I put here?

4. The little fine print that says to "Provide documentary evidence, e.g. phone bills, letters, etc."...what should I include? My emails to her when I was out of town?

Clarification on these would be greatly helpful. The Immigrant's Guide did not provide a lot of guidance here.

Here's our basic situation: My wife was born in Canada, but hasn't lived in the country since she was 2. We met and got married in the States and have lived in that country since we've known each other.

Thanks in advance.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
dc8800 said:
1. Are these questions assuming that the sponsor is separated from the his/her spouse/partner because he is in Canada and she is not?
Yes, they are generic questions. If they don't quite apply to your situation, explain this in your answer.
2. Does "during the period of your relationship" refer to post-marriage (since hitherto the questionnaire has covered all questions up to the wedding/reception/honeymoon)? Or am I suppose to list all visits to one another whenever we've been apart since we started dating?
You could put details about trips taken together before the wedding in your answer to question 9.
3. Assuming #2 is only during married time, what if we've been living together ever since we got married? I mean, I've left my wife for short periods of time when I travel out of town, but we've never lived apart. What do I put here?
Just explain that you've been living together. Actually living together is better than just going to visit each other once in a while, so provide clear proof of that.
4. The little fine print that says to "Provide documentary evidence, e.g. phone bills, letters, etc."...what should I include? My emails to her when I was out of town?
These emails would be fine. In your answer just explain that you have been living together since the wedding, and reference the proof you are showing for questions 27 and 28, where they ask if you have lived together.