+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need an urgent advise on Open Work Permit extension!

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi Folks,
I need your advice on an application for an Open Work Permit extension.
As of now, I hold a study permit extension valid until November 2025. Meanwhile, my partner, currently on an Open Work Permit, intends to apply for an extension ahead of schedule. The reason for this early application is related to our son's ongoing study permit processing, which is connected to my partner's Open Work Permit. Also, my partner has recently transitioned to a new position within the same company. He is currently undergoing training for the role of assistant manager.
We plan to include all these new developments in the letter of explanation. However, I wonder whether all of this will be enough to get an open work permit extension. Also, what is the duration of the second extension?
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Folks,
I need your advice on an application for an Open Work Permit extension.
As of now, I hold a study permit extension valid until November 2025. Meanwhile, my partner, currently on an Open Work Permit, intends to apply for an extension ahead of schedule. The reason for this early application is related to our son's ongoing study permit processing, which is connected to my partner's Open Work Permit. Also, my partner has recently transitioned to a new position within the same company. He is currently undergoing training for the role of assistant manager.
We plan to include all these new developments in the letter of explanation. However, I wonder whether all of this will be enough to get an open work permit extension. Also, what is the duration of the second extension?
Thanks
Your son’s study permit is tied your study permit. When does your partner’s work permit expire? If tied to your permit, then extension will be until your study permit expiry.

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Your son’s study permit is tied your study permit. When does your partner’s work permit expire? If tied to your permit, then extension will be until your study permit expiry.
So, my study permit expires in November 2025. Our son's study permit expires in Februray 2024, and my partner's OWP expires in June 2024. That's why we plan to apply for the OWP extension sooner then what is advise on cic official site - 30 days.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So, my study permit expires in November 2025. Our son's study permit expires in Februray 2024, and my partner's OWP expires in June 2024. That's why we plan to apply for the OWP extension sooner then what is advise on cic official site - 30 days.
Your son’s study permit is based on your permit, not your husband So apply to extend son’s now. Partner can apply to extend their’s in April/May.

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Your son’s study permit is based on your permit, not your husband So apply to extend son’s now. Partner can apply to extend their’s in April/May.
Hi, we already applied for him in November. The only catch is that his passport expires in September 2024, and we plan to extend it in June 2024. We already know we will only get a study permit extension maybe until September 2024. Also, that's why we want to apply now for the open work extension, because we are afraid that they might give him a study permit based on my partner's work permit which expires in June 2024.
Would there be an issue if we applied earlier for a work permit extension?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, we already applied for him in November. The only catch is that his passport expires in September 2024, and we plan to extend it in June 2024. We already know we will only get a study permit extension maybe until September 2024. Also, that's why we want to apply now for the open work extension, because we are afraid that they might give him a study permit based on my partner's work permit which expires in June 2024.
Son’s study permit is based on your permit, not your spouse’s status. He can apply to extend now but given it doesn’t expire for 6 months don‘t expect any movement/response for several months.

Reactions: ElenaEagleEye

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would consider applying for a new passport before applying to extend his study permit closer to June 2024.

Reactions: Naturgrl