+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice

dba

Nov 29, 2011
I just came across this forum, and I am very happy to find this forum! I am hoping to get some direction from this forum.

My situation -
I and my wife are working in US & we have 5 year old baby – we are from India and we don't have greencard yet, we expect to get the greencard in 5 years
We need to move to Canada to preserve our PR (only left with 2 years and few months out of 5 years, so, we need to move to Canada pretty soon)

Questions:
Will there be any problem in this scenario - only my wife and baby moves to Canada and I support them financially & I will join them later when I find good job. This way, we won’t waste time towards applying for Canadian citizenship. I and my wife are little hesitant to resign our jobs both at the same time to move to Canada. It will be a big impact financially. Please note that I am primary applicant in our PR, will there be any issue due to this?
Would we get a decent job in Information Technology area?
How long does it take (normally) to find a job in Canada?
When should we start our job search - start the job search while still in US or after we move to Canada? Will employer in Canada respond if we try for job from US?
Will our work experience in US be recognized in Canada?
I am thinking of moving to Toronto area just because it is good Information Tech jobs - am I right or wrong in assuming Toronto as good for IT jobs?
Where can I find information about school districts in and around Toronto? Which one is good school district?
Is getting the Canadian citizenship worth in long term? I know I shouldn’t have this question, but, I couldn’t help it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to move to Canada at the same time. There is no primary applicant any more after you got your PR already but you both have to meet the residency requirements so don't leave it too long to move. You will have to stay 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship.

You ask if it is worth it. I think so. When you have citizenship, nobody can ever kick you out and if you want to go back and work in the USA, you may be eligible for a NAFTA work permit which makes things easier and you never lose your citizenship like PR if you are gone too long. India does not allow dual but they will give you overseas citizenship which as far as I know allows you to travel and work in India all you want except you can't vote.

I can not tell you where and how to find a job. You have to look for that yourself but you should start looking online before your wife moves so you can have her settle in a location where it looks like you will not have a problem.

dba

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks Leon, much appreciated!

Does any one have idea about the best/better/good school districts in and around Toronto area? Thanks.