+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice urgently....

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
I’m super scared now. I’ve been living in Canada as a student since 2016, however now I’m doing extra year and I need to extend my study permit. I want to return to Canada and since my study permit was issued before March 18, 2020, I’m exempted from travel restrictions. I’ve called the Border Agents Office and they said I have an excellent chance of getting back to Canada since I have an established residency in Canada by having lease, SIN, paying taxes, having all my belongings in Canada.
My issue is that my study permit expires on 31st of August, 2020 and I’m planning to travel back to Canada a week before it expires. So, I’ll still have a valid study permit. One of the border agents said that I won’t be let in since it’s expiring soon and by the time my uni starts I won’t have renewed study permit(not sure if he is aware of implied status) , however, the second agent said he doesn’t see a problem since it will be valid and I’ll be renewing it and will have implied status. I can’t contact IRCC by phone since I’m outside of Canada. I don’t know what to do.
My international students advisor/lawyer said that border agent probably did not understand that I will be travelling a week before it expires so it will be VALID still, but I’m just really looking for some opinions and advices, please.

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
The best thing for you is to travel ASAP back to Canada. As long as your study permit is still valid, they will let you in BUT you will have to apply for study renewal ASAP. I'd suggest to collect documents and be ready to apply when you enter Canada. Keep a proof of some documents with you at border just in case someone asks. If you apply before your study permit expires, then you will have an implied status and awaiting outcome of your application.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
The best thing for you is to travel ASAP back to Canada. As long as your study permit is still valid, they will let you in BUT you will have to apply for study renewal ASAP. I'd suggest to collect documents and be ready to apply when you enter Canada. Keep a proof of some documents with you at border just in case someone asks. If you apply before your study permit expires, then you will have an implied status and awaiting outcome of your application.
Yes, I booked my ticket on 25th of August so it’s still valid like it won’t be expired by then. I will be applying the minute I enter my apartment so I can get implied status. I can’t travel now since I have no place to live bc I subletted my place. However border agent said that even if I travel today I won’t be let in since by the time my classes start I won’t have renewed study permit. Do you think if I apply for study permit after I enter on 26th of August and apply the same day, 5 days before it expires, I should be fine?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
As per the details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html

You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires. Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time. You can’t extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date.
In this case, I think it's better if you apply for your extension while you are out of Canada. This mostly done online, right? Processing is taking longer then expected anyway and you will be back before the current one expires. This way, you won't have to deal with any unnecessary anxiety.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
As per the details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html

In this case, I think it's better if you apply for your extension while you are out of Canada. This mostly done online, right? Processing is taking longer then expected anyway and you will be back before the current one expires. This way, you won't have to deal with any unnecessary anxiety.
Thanks! I was thinking of doing this but apparently that Is considered illegal because they ask you if you’re “within Canada” and I’m not, so I was told this is a mispresentation. Like the border will ask if I was inside of Canada when I applied and I wasn’t. Not sure if this is actually illegal.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Yes, good if you show proof that you applied for extension as well
I applied for CAQ so can show this as well. As for extension. I can’t apply outside of Canada because officers are closed in my country. Only way is to apply through inside of Canada process online but I can do it while I’m outside. Not sure if it’s illegal

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
If there's a specific question that asks if you are IN Canada, then no, you should not apply from Outside of Canada. Do you a friend, family member that you can stay with for a week or 10 days? It'll be helpful if you come a bit earlier in Canada instead of 5 days, the reason being, give yourself some margin just in case flights get cancelled due to Covid19 or something unforeseeable happens. Even if you have to get Airbnb for a week or 10 days, that's better then losing status.

Reactions: annaturner

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
If there's a specific question that asks if you are IN Canada, then no, you should not apply from Outside of Canada. Do you a friend, family member that you can stay with for a week or 10 days? It'll be helpful if you come a bit earlier in Canada instead of 5 days, the reason being, give yourself some margin just in case flights get cancelled due to Covid19 or something unforeseeable happens. Even if you have to get Airbnb for a week or 10 days, that's better then losing status.
I see your point yeah definitely makes sense. However once I enter I need to self isolate for 14 days. I have checked the flights and they go every day to Canada (surprisingly). I definitely thought what if my flight gets delayed or something but they go everyday and I’ve seen the schedule as well. Thanks for help!!!
yeah, they ask you if you’re within Canada but I’ve seen people doing that. I guess I’m mainly scared that border won’t let me enter since my study permit is expiring in shortly after I arrive

Last edited:

arkadev123

Sep 7, 2019
I’m super scared now. I’ve been living in Canada as a student since 2016, however now I’m doing extra year and I need to extend my study permit. I want to return to Canada and since my study permit was issued before March 18, 2020, I’m exempted from travel restrictions. I’ve called the Border Agents Office and they said I have an excellent chance of getting back to Canada since I have an established residency in Canada by having lease, SIN, paying taxes, having all my belongings in Canada.
My issue is that my study permit expires on 31st of August, 2020 and I’m planning to travel back to Canada a week before it expires. So, I’ll still have a valid study permit. One of the border agents said that I won’t be let in since it’s expiring soon and by the time my uni starts I won’t have renewed study permit(not sure if he is aware of implied status) , however, the second agent said he doesn’t see a problem since it will be valid and I’ll be renewing it and will have implied status. I can’t contact IRCC by phone since I’m outside of Canada. I don’t know what to do.
My international students advisor/lawyer said that border agent probably did not understand that I will be travelling a week before it expires so it will be VALID still, but I’m just really looking for some opinions and advices, please.
Should not be a problem for you to travel back if you you come in with a valid permit and can show that your travel is essential. Tell the border office you have all the documents ready to immediately apply for a study permit extension. Carry those documents if possible.

In case you cannot travel on time, you would have to apply for a new permit from outside Canada, but in that case your Letter of Introduction will be issued after 18th March and you won't be exempt from travel restrictions. You could mention in your application that you are a continuing student, and your travel is non-discretionary they might then consider your case.