+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice - trying to get back..

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
Hi.

I am from the US. In February I went to Canada to be with my longtime girlfriend. I got accepted into college and received my letter of acceptance and applied for my student visa at the end of April.

I went back to the States to see my son and family in may, as I honestly assumed the border would open may 21.

It didn't open. My visa has not been approved. I have already paid tuition for 2 terms, I have a final this week.

Can I do anything to facilitate this so I can get back?

Thank you... I miss her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi.

I am from the US. In February I went to Canada to be with my longtime girlfriend. I got accepted into college and received my letter of acceptance and applied for my student visa at the end of April.

I went back to the States to see my son and family in may, as I honestly assumed the border would open may 21.

It didn't open. My visa has not been approved. I have already paid tuition for 2 terms, I have a final this week.

Can I do anything to facilitate this so I can get back?

Thank you... I miss her.
Your post is a bit confusing.

How is it possible that you have a final this week already? Have you started your studies already? If so, this is problematic since you can't begin your studies until your study permit has been approved.

Also, to the best of my knowledge all schools are shut down and studies / exams are being done remotely.

Can you provide more information on the above so that we can try to help?

In terms of the border, right now it is closed to all but essential travel. Without an approved study permit, your reasons for travel will be classified as non-essential. This closure has been recently extended to the end of July.

Last edited:

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
I can attend school without a study permit, even the ircc says you may not need a study permit if you are to graduate before 6 months.

So no, it wasn't approved. It was submitted April 28th and I started school may 4th, and I have a final the 24th.

Thanks so much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can attend school without a study permit, even the ircc says you may not need a study permit if you are to graduate before 6 months.

So no, it wasn't approved. It was submitted April 28th and I started school may 4th, and I have a final the 24th.

Thanks so much
Yes - that's right. If the program is six months or less in duration, then you do not need a study permit.

Then why are you applying for a study permit now? Are you planning on taking a brand new program that is longer than six months?

Anyway, the short answer to your current situtation is that the border is closed to non-essential tavel until the third week of July. Your travel will be classified as non-essential by CBSA. So really nothing you can do but wait for another month or so in the U.S. and hope the border restrictions are lifted.

Schools should be all closed at this point. contact your school and make arrangements to take your final online. If they don't offer than option, tell them you have to postpone your final by a few months since you can't re-enter Canada at this time.

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
Yes - that's right. If the program is six months or less in duration, then you do not need a study permit.

Then why are you applying for a study permit now? Are you planning on taking a brand new program that is longer than six months?

Anyway, the short answer to your current situtation is that the border is closed to non-essential tavel until the third week of July. Your travel will be classified as non-essential by CBSA. So really nothing you can do but wait for another month or so in the U.S. and hope the border restrictions are lifted.

Schools should be all closed at this point. contact your school and make arrangements to take your final online. If they don't offer than option, tell them you have to postpone your final by a few months since you can't re-enter Canada at this time.
Oh I see! So sorry.

I'm on premed track and I will graduate within the 6 month time frame, but med school will be 4 years. So I wanted to get the visa now before my new program starts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh I see! So sorry.

I'm on premed track and I will graduate within the 6 month time frame, but med school will be 4 years. So I wanted to get the visa now before my new program starts.
You need to contact your current school and tell them you may not be able to take the final exam in person. Ask them what your options are if you cannot re-enter Canada to take this exam.

As for your next program, you'll just have to hope the study permit is approved in time. Everything is taking much longer right now due to COVID-19. Nothing you can do about that.

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
Do you know if they are still processing them at all? Study is listed as essential on the CBSA travel exemption sheet..