+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on translating proof of funds

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
My father will be providing me financial support but there are several concerning points:
His bank statements and FD certificates are not in English. The bank where his savings are being kept doesn't provide translated bank statements if they are printed directly by the bank's teller. On the other hand, if they are printed via the bank's internet banking website, they can be in English, but the problem is the ones from the internet banking site don't have the bank letterhead on them.

My father has got a bank reference letter mentioning his amount of savings and it's in English. As for his FD certificates, I think getting them translated by a sworn translator is possible but for his bank statements, there're just too many of them and it would be too costly to get them all translated.

Also, I'm aware that according to CIC website that
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

"Translation of documents

Unless instructed otherwise by a CIC employee, all supporting documentation must be:

in English or French; or
If it is not in English or French, it must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified photocopy of the original document."

But the bank statements have so many pages.

What if I translate only the last month as they are using the same format and layouts?

Or what if I ask for ones from the internet banking site as they are in English, get them stamped as they don't bear the bank's letterhead, and attach them alongside the one printed by the teller as they have the letterhead despite not in English?

Please provide me advice on this.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
My father will be providing me financial support but there are several concerning points:
His bank statements and FD certificates are not in English. The bank where his savings are being kept doesn't provide translated bank statements if they are printed directly by the bank's teller. On the other hand, if they are printed via the bank's internet banking website, they can be in English, but the problem is the ones from the internet banking site don't have the bank letterhead on them.

My father has got a bank reference letter mentioning his amount of savings and it's in English. As for his FD certificates, I think getting them translated by a sworn translator is possible but for his bank statements, there're just too many of them and it would be too costly to get them all translated.

Also, I'm aware that according to CIC website that
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

"Translation of documents

Unless instructed otherwise by a CIC employee, all supporting documentation must be:

in English or French; or
If it is not in English or French, it must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified photocopy of the original document."

But the bank statements have so many pages.

What if I translate only the last month as they are using the same format and layouts?

Or what if I ask for ones from the internet banking site as they are in English, get them stamped as they don't bear the bank's letterhead, and attach them alongside the one printed by the teller as they have the letterhead despite not in English?

Please provide me advice on this.
Does the statement that you get online not have the bank's logo or anything on the first page.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
No, it doesn't. :(
Do you have an option of sending the bank statement to your email, instead of displaying on the screen. Sometimes, in my bank for example the statement generated and sent to the email has the logo etc.

If it's not a problem, which country are you from and which bank is it. If it's a major bank, then they should be having a standard.

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
Do you have an option of sending the bank statement to your email, instead of displaying on the screen. Sometimes, in my bank for example the statement generated and sent to the email has the logo etc.

If it's not a problem, which country are you from and which bank is it. If it's a major bank, then they should be having a standard.
Indonesia. It's a major bank.