+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice on Landing!!

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
My wife and daughter both got approved for PR. We all are traveling from India into Canada. Our destination province is Ontario. We are getting Cheaper tickets through US from India. Wondering if its okay to drive into Canada with our US friends who have agreed to drop us to Toronto in their car. They are visa waived as US Citizens and I assume my wife n daughter have to go through the Landing process at Land border.
Now I have Three questions
1. which bridge is better to enter into Canada in terms of traffic and do I need to call some number and inform them in advance about our landing?
2. Since im already a PR, do I need to do something as well, are we interviewed again at the landing process and need to carry any specific documents?
3. Apart from COPR and Passports what else we require at the Landing?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. You don't need to call in advance. I have no idea which bridge is better, sorry.

2. You won't be interviewed again, only they are.

3. There will be a letter provided along with the COPR that details things like a goods accompanying or goods to follow list.

Assuming your wife and daughter have US visas already.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that it can take quite some time to be processed so be prepared to wait. Would avoid weekends and rush hours if possible.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
1. You don't need to call in advance. I have no idea which bridge is better, sorry.

2. You won't be interviewed again, only they are.

3. There will be a letter provided along with the COPR that details things like a goods accompanying or goods to follow list.

Assuming your wife and daughter have US visas already.

Hey thanks for your advice.
Yes all of us have valid us visas. COPR does give details but I don't see Goods accompanying and goods to follow list anywhere. Also we are only traveling with clothes do we mention clothes as well? other than clothes there's only few mobiles n a laptop.

thanks.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Would add that it can take quite some time to be processed so be prepared to wait. Would avoid weekends and rush hours if possible.
hey

thanks... were thinking of entering on a Sunday. we can't avoid The Weekend as thats the only time our US friends have off day and they have agreed to drop us. we can do early or late entry what's preferable?
Flight difference for three of us is almost 2000 USD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey

thanks... were thinking of entering on a Sunday. we can't avoid The Weekend as thats the only time our US friends have off day and they have agreed to drop us. we can do early or late entry what's preferable?
Flight difference for three of us is almost 2000 USD.
Would just be prepared to wait if they are busy. Too unpredictable to really say but morning is probably best versus afternoon or evening.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that given assume you are maybe travelling on one way tickets to the US be prepared to be challenged both by the airline and US CBP that your intention is to leave the US via the land border with Canada. No idea which US visas your family have but just having valid US visas is one thing but travelling on one way tickets US CBP will likely need convincing of your intentions.

Last edited:

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Just to add that given assume you are maybe travelling on one way tickets to the US be prepared to be challenged both by the airline and US CBP that your intention is to leave the US via the land border with Canada. No idea which US visas your family have but just having valid US visas is one thing but travelling on one way tickets US CBP will likely need convincing of your intentions.
hey good advice.
even I wanted to ask this. we wanted to book only one way ticket as I our return is not fixed so booking return tickets seem like a waste. So we wanted to go into Canada via the car. this I did mention to US Visa officer at the interview.
anyone has done it here? can we may be email CBP in advance regarding this and have their reply to show at airport. lot of PRs do travel into US for cheaper tickets. I mean if a PR can go to US even in a car rental or bus or train with just a Visa and his return ticket or rental information is almost never asked why would they ask for return tickets when Border officer sees we all have Permanent residency in Canada.

any advice or experience is appreciated