+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on keeping the PR status with RO days effected due to pandemic

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Hello Folks, I hold a valid PR card and it expires on July 5th, 2021. My total number of days in Canada is 733 (as per my calculation) from the day I landed i.e 5/10/2016. . However, I am stuck in my home country for over a year now because of the pandemic and wasn't able to leave due to travel restrictions both in Canada and my home country. I have applied for my PR renewal from my home country and it did reach the Sydney office on May 14th, however, I haven't got any acknowledgement on the same and I reckon by the things are normal for me to consider travelling, my PR card will expire.

My confusion is, based on the RO days i.e 733, will I have any issues getting my PR renewed and will there be any issues getting PRTD if my PR card expires to travel back. The pandemic has really gonna affected keeping the PR status due to travel issues hence do the officers in IRCC has provisions and provide leniency for the same who are stuck under such cases.

I would really appreciate your expert advice on the same and what should be my next course of action,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Folks, I hold a valid PR card and it expires on July 5th, 2021. My total number of days in Canada is 733 (as per my calculation) from the day I landed i.e 5/10/2016. . However, I am stuck in my home country for over a year now because of the pandemic and wasn't able to leave due to travel restrictions both in Canada and my home country. I have applied for my PR renewal from my home country and it did reach the Sydney office on May 14th, however, I haven't got any acknowledgement on the same and I reckon by the things are normal for me to consider travelling, my PR card will expire.

My confusion is, based on the RO days i.e 733, will I have any issues getting my PR renewed and will there be any issues getting PRTD if my PR card expires to travel back. The pandemic has really gonna affected keeping the PR status due to travel issues hence do the officers in IRCC has provisions and provide leniency for the same who are stuck under such cases.

I would really appreciate your expert advice on the same and what should be my next course of action,
What country are you from? There are very few countries where travel has not been possible in the past 1.5 years.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your PR card renewal must be originate from Canada. Alternatively, get a PRTD.

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
What country are you from? There are very few countries where travel has not been possible in the past 1.5 years.
I am from India, and the 2nd wave has been the most disastrous, so you are right, the situation has been extremely chaotic with severe travel restrictions. What are the chances that I get any leniency from the officials to consider my case if I fall short of meeting my RO due to the pandemic for my PR renewal? Also, if I go past the expiry date of my PR card, what are the odds that I can get PRTD on H&C grounds? Would appreciate your views on this.

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Your PR card renewal must be originate from Canada. Alternatively, get a PRTD.
Yes, but the reason I applied to ensure that I don't delay the renewal process and by the time this is processed, I can come back to Canada while my card is still valid, however, the 2nd wave ruined all the plans of travelling back due to severe travel restrictions.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, but the reason I applied to ensure that I don't delay the renewal process and by the time this is processed, I can come back to Canada while my card is still valid, however, the 2nd wave ruined all the plans of travelling back due to severe travel restrictions.
Getting a PRTD while you still meet your RO is a better idea than sending PR card renewal application from India.

Btw, can you not research any country (or two) let you transit to Canada?

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Getting a PRTD while you still meet your RO is a better idea than sending PR card renewal application from India.

Btw, can you not research any country (or two) let you transit to Canada?
I have already booked my tickets for July 2nd via London Heathrow assuming that the flight's ban is off by June 21 and I can land in Canada before my Visa expires on July 5. But it seems that rules change on a daily basis and not sure how the situation will be during that time. Even I reach Canada, the odds are I need to be present for reporting by the officials.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have already booked my tickets for July 2nd via London Heathrow assuming that the flight's ban is off by June 21 and I can land in Canada before my Visa expires on July 5. But it seems that rules change on a daily basis and not sure how the situation will be during that time. Even I reach Canada, the odds are I need to be present for reporting by the officials.
So you have no issues about doing the preflight RT-PCR test outside the restricted area of LHR airport?

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
So you have no issues about doing the preflight RT-PCR test outside the restricted area of LHR airport?
Is it needed to take a test outside LHR too, as I don't have a visa to enter the city? However, I get the test is done from India, which will be well within 72 hours even I take to board the transit flight to Canada. If it's a mandate to do a PCR test from London as well, I will be in great difficulty to even board the flight from India.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am from India, and the 2nd wave has been the most disastrous, so you are right, the situation has been extremely chaotic with severe travel restrictions. What are the chances that I get any leniency from the officials to consider my case if I fall short of meeting my RO due to the pandemic for my PR renewal? Also, if I go past the expiry date of my PR card, what are the odds that I can get PRTD on H&C grounds? Would appreciate your views on this.
Other than the beginning of covid and the recent 2nd wave travel from India has been very easy. Even at the moment people are travelling to Canada although if you look at the flights, they are also bringing in covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it needed to take a test outside LHR too, as I don't have a visa to enter the city? However, I get the test is done from India, which will be well within 72 hours even I take to board the transit flight to Canada. If it's a mandate to do a PCR test from London as well, I will be in great difficulty to even board the flight from India.
Current regulations require you to have a negative PCR test at every transit location,

Reactions: fdido

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw if flight ban is lifted, you can actually get a direct flight from India to Canada...

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
But that's outside the restricted area. You need to go through the immigration:

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/fly-safe/covid-19-test
Thanks a lot for sharing this, seems this is pretty difficult now. I stll dont get why would they dont accept tests done for the home country within 72 hours even in connecting flights as the flights do take extensive precautions and measures to ensure they it's heavily sanitized and only can be accessed by people who are covid free