+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice from the guru's and experts

tahanoman

Apr 18, 2010
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to greet everyone at this forum and thank all of them for sharing their experiences, expertise and knowledge regarding immigration to Canada.
I have been a silent follower of this forum and all its threads to gain knowledge and patience while our application was being processed.

In order to better understand the whole story behind my queries/questions, I would like to give a brief intro on our application and status.

We applied 5 years ago in the Quebec Investor Program, the interview was conducted and recently our medicals were conducted. As of 3 days ago, we finally got the call to submit our passports for Visa processing. This means we will probably be cleared to arrive in Canada in the coming weeks/months.

After almost losing hope, we (my and my family) are now in overdrive trying to find as much information about landing and procedures as we can. Hence my post today.

My questions are as follows:

1) Since we applied through the Quebec Investor Program, do we have to land in Quebec (as our port of entry)?
1a) If so, how long do we have to stay there before moving someplace else?
1b) When we arrive at the Montreal Airport, I assume we line up to process our PR...correct?

2) Do we have to give an address to the immigration officer at the airport for correspondence regarding our PR?
2a) If so, does the address have to be of Quebec or can it be anywhere in Canada?
(The reason I ask this question is because I was wondering how could the immigration officer expect us to have ANY address before we had a chance to land and buy/rent any property? We plan on staying in Montreal for a few days and then head to Ontario to spend a few weeks with my Aunt...so isn't it natural for immigrants to stay with a relative or friend while they look for a property?)
2b) Incase the address has to be of Quebec, can it be a PO BOX bought online prior coming to Canada?
2c) In either case, PO BOX address or Aunt's address, is the PR Card sent by mail to the address OR is a appointment letter sent and then the applicant has to physically go to the immigration office to collect the PR Card?
2d) Processing time for PR Card? This is a huge reason for the above questions since if it takes very long, it would be more feasible for the card to be mailed to my Aunt and she can courier it to us (if we decide to head back to our country of origin to wrap up loose ends)
2e) Incase she can courier it to us, won't we need the PR Card when we exit Canada? How will Canada know we have exited the country?

3) Depending on the responses for question 2, how many days do you feel is sufficient to stay in Montreal to begin processing Social Insurance Number and Healthcard?
3a) Do both cards get mailed to the address we have chosen (Quebec PO Box or Aunt's address in Ontario)?
3b) Do you recommend we file for a health card as soon as we arrive or should we wait after buying/renting property in the city/state we want to settle in?

4) Do we have to bring all our things in the first trip or can we bring them whenever we want?
4a) any advice on what to bring or what not to bring?
4b) How much money (cash) can I carry with me (per person) when I enter Canada?

Thank you all in advance and apologies if some of these questions have already been answered.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Regards

Taha

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to avoid problems, you should land in Quebec and give a Quebec address for your PR card. Since you got your PR through a Quebec program, if the immigration officers suspect that you are not planning on settling in Quebec, your file could be marked and they will call you for interviews and watch you closely for where you will be living.

I do not know what other conditions Quebec investor has for living&investing in Quebec but since you applied under that program, I am sure you noticed if there were any conditions like that. Some PNP's have a condition to invest a certain amount in a business that meets certain standards and within so or so many years etc. and unless you fulfil the conditions, they will not renew your PR card and you can not get citizenship.

If you do not have an address at the time you land, you can tell them you will clear that up with them later. You need to provide an address within 6 months that your PR cards will be mailed to in 6-8 weeks. If you fail to provide an address within 6 months, you lose your chance for your first free card and will have to fill out an application, provide new photos, pay $50, wait several months and then pick it up at the local CIC after being notified.

You do not need a PR card to exit the country. You need it to enter or if you don't have one yet, you can also apply for a travel document at a Canadian embassy and use that to enter.

You should not apply for a health card in a province unless you are planning to be living there for at least 6 months.

When you arrive, you should bring a list of all the stuff you are taking with you now and all the stuff you are taking later (goods to follow). Serial numbers should be listed and value of items should be listed, use fleamarket value, that is what you could sell or buy it for at a fleamarket today, not what you originally paid. You have to know what you want to bring. It is generally not worth it to transport furniture IMO unless it is very close to your heart but if you get a container anyway, you might as well throw all your stuff in there to make it worth your while. Be advised however that it will take a couple of months for the container to arrive during which time I suppose you are ok staying with your aunt.

You can carry as much as you want but if you are carrying more than $10,000 you must inform Canada customs. If you do not inform them and they find it, they can confiscate it and fine you.

tahanoman

Apr 18, 2010
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,

Thanks for the quick response.

Some further clarification is required :

We will indeed land in Quebec, but the question of the address still remains. Should I then rent a PO BOX in a Quebec Post Office and have the post office all incoming mail to my Aunt's address? Would this work?

Its just that it seems quite ridiculous for the immigration officer to expect a ready address at the time we enter for the first time.

Also, is the PR Card sent my post or is there a notification only to pick it up in person from a Immigration office?

Also, can I apply for the health card and SIN card while staying in Ontario with my Aunt or do I have to stay in Quebec and apply from there?

Lastly, is that 10,000 dollars per person or collectively? Incase I do bring more money and tell them honestly, will I be charged any sort of duty or tax on it?

Thanks once again Leon.

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need a Quebec address to apply for your SIN and health cards.

As Leon indicated, it would be very wise to have a Quebec address to provide for the mailing of your PR card to avoid any potential issues at immigration.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tahanoman said:
We will indeed land in Quebec, but the question of the address still remains. Should I then rent a PO BOX in a Quebec Post Office and have the post office all incoming mail to my Aunt's address? Would this work?
This could work.

tahanoman said:
Its just that it seems quite ridiculous for the immigration officer to expect a ready address at the time we enter for the first time.
They don't. See my reply above where I said: "If you do not have an address at the time you land, you can tell them you will clear that up with them later. You need to provide an address within 6 months that your PR cards will be mailed to in 6-8 weeks."

tahanoman said:
Also, is the PR Card sent my post or is there a notification only to pick it up in person from a Immigration office?
See my reply above where I said: "You need to provide an address within 6 months that your PR cards will be mailed to in 6-8 weeks."

tahanoman said:
Also, can I apply for the health card and SIN card while staying in Ontario with my Aunt or do I have to stay in Quebec and apply from there?
See my reply above where I said: "You should not apply for a health card in a province unless you are planning to be living there for at least 6 months." and now I will tell you why I said that. You see, the provinces do not want to give you a health card unless you live there. Therefore, they have a clause that states that to qualify for health care, you must live in that province for 6 months a year. If they were to find out that you applied for a health card, then left the country for x months, then came back, then maybe left again, i.e. you did not end up living in the province for 6 months in some 12 month period, they may decide that you really should never have had health care and that you will promptly be backcharged for all the services they have already provided to you. Add to that that you are applying under a Quebec program. If you show up in Ontario a couple of days after landing in Quebec and apply for a SIN and health card there, it doesn't exactly look like you were ever planning on settling in Quebec. This can cost you your PR. Also, Ontario and Quebec both have a 3 month waiting period to get a health card. You can imagine they don't like it at all when a newcomer uses the opportunity to apply for a health card, then goes back to homeland and only comes back when his waiting period is up. They want you to be living there and doing your waiting period. ON actually has a rule that states that to keep your health care, you must stay in ON for at least 5 months out of your first 6 months after taking up residence there.

tahanoman said:
Lastly, is that 10,000 dollars per person or collectively? Incase I do bring more money and tell them honestly, will I be charged any sort of duty or tax on it?
You can read about it here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html If you split the money between you and your wife so that each of you is carrying less than 10,000 that is fine but I would not count on them giving the same allowance for children or if you alone are carrying all the money for yourself and wife. However, if you let them know about it, you are fine.

tahanoman

Apr 18, 2010
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon! and Scylla!

I guess I still have a little impatience streak left in me :)

I was under the impression that new/fresh immigrants arriving can apply for healthcards the moment they land. Is that not the case? Do I have to complete the 3 month living period before applying?

I suppose there is no such condition for SIN numbers....right?

Just wondering, what if I use the same PO Box I use for the PR Card (with the same mail forwarding feature). Would that work?

Thank youuuuuuuu....love you :)

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for health care coverage immediately. However you won't be given health care coverage until you have lived in Canada for three months (you should purchase insurance to cover yourself and your family for medical emergencies during this time). As Leon mentioned, there is a residency obligation associated with health care coverage. So don't apply if you plan to land and then leave soon afterwards - you won't qualify. Instead, wait until you've returned for good (the three month waiting period will still apply).

There is no waiting period for the SIN.

If the rules seem harsh or restrictive - it's because far too many people have tried to cheat the system in the past.

tahanoman

Apr 18, 2010
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh...they dont seem harsh....thats just the way it is...and for good reason too

Just that I dont want to cheat or anything...just trying to see the easiest way for a transition to my new life...

A million questions...permutations, computations....quit my current job....take leave....come back after a month....stay there for 3 months...aaaahhhhh.....so many questions :p

Anyway....About the SIN card.....I can apply as soon as I land....can I give the PO BOX number?

I was searching online and found services life Mailbox etc and UPS Store that offer post box services but provide actual mailing addresses so it looks like its a real house address....with street and all....that would be better...dont u think??

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tahanoman said:
Oh...they dont seem harsh....thats just the way it is...and for good reason too

Just that I dont want to cheat or anything...just trying to see the easiest way for a transition to my new life...

A million questions...permutations, computations....quit my current job....take leave....come back after a month....stay there for 3 months...aaaahhhhh.....so many questions :p

Anyway....About the SIN card.....I can apply as soon as I land....can I give the PO BOX number?

I was searching online and found services life Mailbox etc and UPS Store that offer post box services but provide actual mailing addresses so it looks like its a real house address....with street and all....that would be better...dont u think??

Regards
You can apply for a SIN card as soon as you land. You should apply for it in Quebec because you don't want anybody to think you are not planning to settle there as that would be bad. You get the number right away, the card arrives with the mail in about 2 weeks. I have no idea if they care about PO Box vs. street address but I have heard that CIC will accept a PO Box to mail your PR card to.