+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice from the guru's and experts

tahanoman

Apr 18, 2010
Karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to greet everyone at this forum and thank all of them for sharing their experiences, expertise and knowledge regarding immigration to Canada.
I have been a silent follower of this forum and all its threads to gain knowledge and patience while our application was being processed.

In order to better understand the whole story behind my queries/questions, I would like to give a brief intro on our application and status.

We applied 5 years ago in the Quebec Investor Program, the interview was conducted and recently our medicals were conducted. As of 3 days ago, we finally got the call to submit our passports for Visa processing. This means we will probably be cleared to arrive in Canada in the coming weeks/months.

After almost losing hope, we (my and my family) are now in overdrive trying to find as much information about landing and procedures as we can. Hence my post today.

My questions are as follows:

1) Since we applied through the Quebec Investor Program, do we have to land in Quebec (as our port of entry)?
1a) If so, how long do we have to stay there before moving someplace else?
1b) When we arrive at the Montreal Airport, I assume we line up to process our PR...correct?

2) Do we have to give an address to the immigration officer at the airport for correspondence regarding our PR?
2a) If so, does the address have to be of Quebec or can it be anywhere in Canada?
(The reason I ask this question is because I was wondering how could the immigration officer expect us to have ANY address before we had a chance to land and buy/rent any property? We plan on staying in Montreal for a few days and then head to Ontario to spend a few weeks with my Aunt...so isn't it natural for immigrants to stay with a relative or friend while they look for a property?)
2b) Incase the address has to be of Quebec, can it be a PO BOX bought online prior coming to Canada?
2c) In either case, PO BOX address or Aunt's address, is the PR Card sent by mail to the address OR is a appointment letter sent and then the applicant has to physically go to the immigration office to collect the PR Card?
2d) Processing time for PR Card? This is a huge reason for the above questions since if it takes very long, it would be more feasible for the card to be mailed to my Aunt and she can courier it to us (if we decide to head back to our country of origin to wrap up loose ends)
2e) Incase she can courier it to us, won't we need the PR Card when we exit Canada? How will Canada know we have exited the country?

3) Depending on the responses for question 2, how many days do you feel is sufficient to stay in Montreal to begin processing Social Insurance Number and Healthcard?
3a) Do both cards get mailed to the address we have chosen (Quebec PO Box or Aunt's address in Ontario)?
3b) Do you recommend we file for a health card as soon as we arrive or should we wait after buying/renting property in the city/state we want to settle in?

4) Do we have to bring all our things in the first trip or can we bring them whenever we want?
4a) any advice on what to bring or what not to bring?
4b) How much money (cash) can I carry with me (per person) when I enter Canada?

Thank you all in advance and apologies if some of these questions have already been answered.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Regards

Taha

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
4. No, you do not need to bring everything the first time, but you do need to declare all belongings when landing to avoid tax and duty later.

4 b) as much as you want to carry, I think, but anything over $10,000 CAN will have to be declared.

Sorry, can't help much with the rest. Congrats on your PR approval!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
tahanoman said:
Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to greet everyone at this forum and thank all of them for sharing their experiences, expertise and knowledge regarding immigration to Canada.
I have been a silent follower of this forum and all its threads to gain knowledge and patience while our application was being processed.

In order to better understand the whole story behind my queries/questions, I would like to give a brief intro on our application and status.

We applied 5 years ago in the Quebec Investor Program, the interview was conducted and recently our medicals were conducted. As of 3 days ago, we finally got the call to submit our passports for Visa processing. This means we will probably be cleared to arrive in Canada in the coming weeks/months.

After almost losing hope, we (my and my family) are now in overdrive trying to find as much information about landing and procedures as we can. Hence my post today.

My questions are as follows:

1) Since we applied through the Quebec Investor Program, do we have to land in Quebec (as our port of entry)?
1a) If so, how long do we have to stay there before moving someplace else?
Sorry; don't know.

1b) When we arrive at the Montreal Airport, I assume we line up to process our PR...correct?
Yes, the border officer will tell you where to go, to get processed. Somewhere in the airport.

2) Do we have to give an address to the immigration officer at the airport for correspondence regarding our PR?
You can give an address later, I don't know how, but that will delay receipt of the PR card. If you know no one in Quebec, try using your aunt's address. It will take about 6 weeks to receive the PR cards. They will be mailed to you.
2a) If so, does the address have to be of Quebec or can it be anywhere in Canada?
(The reason I ask this question is because I was wondering how could the immigration officer expect us to have ANY address before we had a chance to land and buy/rent any property? We plan on staying in Montreal for a few days and then head to Ontario to spend a few weeks with my Aunt...so isn't it natural for immigrants to stay with a relative or friend while they look for a property?)
Seems reasonable to me, but Immigration is sometimes unreasonable!
2b) Incase the address has to be of Quebec, can it be a PO BOX bought online prior coming to Canada?
I think not; I recall reading that Canada will not mail to a PO Bpx. If there is in deed a requirement to live in Quebec, and have a Quebec address, rent a small room, and make a deal with the landlord to forward/courier your mail to you.

2c) In either case, PO BOX address or Aunt's address, is the PR Card sent by mail to the address YES OR is a appointment letter sent and then the applicant has to physically go to the immigration office to collect the PR Card?
2d) Processing time for PR Card? About 6-8 weeks. This is a huge reason for the above questions since if it takes very long, it would be more feasible for the card to be mailed to my Aunt and she can courier it to us (if we decide to head back to our country of origin to wrap up loose ends)
2e) Incase she can courier it to us, won't we need the PR Card when we exit Canada? How will Canada know we have exited the country? It is a mystery how Canada knows people have exited the country, since border officers don't stamp your passport. You don't need the PR card to leave Canada; only to enter. But if you have to come back, and don't have the PR card in hand, you'll need to get a special visa (a "travel document") at the local Canadian embassy.

3) Depending on the responses for question 2, how many days do you feel is sufficient to stay in Montreal to begin processing Social Insurance Number and Healthcard? Don't know; I've never applied, but I recall reading that it is quite quick -- maybe 2 weeks to get both. However, in some provinces there is a 3-month waiting period before the health care becomes operative. Don't know if Quebec is one of these, but the Internet will tell you.
3a) Do both cards get mailed to the address we have chosen (Quebec PO Box or Aunt's address in Ontario)?
3b) Do you recommend we file for a health card as soon as we arrive or should we wait after buying/renting property in the city/state we want to settle in? Each province has its own health plan, so you need to apply where you settle.

4) Do we have to bring all our things in the first trip or can we bring them whenever we want? There is a form, "Goods to Follow" that you fill out to allow you to bring used personal goods later, without tax.

4a) any advice on what to bring or what not to bring?
4b) How much money (cash) can I carry with me (per person) when I enter Canada? There's no limit, but I would not bring a lot of cash on my person. Instead, open a bank account and -- once back in the home country -- transfer money to your Canadian account. Call first to ask the bank what documents you need.

Thank you all in advance and apologies if some of these questions have already been answered.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Regards

Taha