+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice and guidance on work in Canada

gonnatry

Mar 1, 2010
Hi

I would like to work and live in Canada with my family.
I have family in Canada but we recently found out that they cannot sponsor us to get to Cananda. Our next best bet its for my husband to find a job in Canada.

My question is, if he goes over there on a holiday visa and finds work, can he apply for a work visa from Canada?
is he able to apply for a work visa instead of a holiday visa even though he has no work to go to?

we are fortunate enough to have family in Quebec and Toronto and my husband has a place to stay and support when he is there.
we do not want to apply to immigrate if we are not sure that we can get jobs in Canada. Our plan is to secure a job for my husband and then apply for citizenship while we are there. Is this possible?

we are both qualified.

i do hope someone can help us with this.

please if you have advise for us that would be great.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
gonnatry said:
Hi

I would like to work and live in Canada with my family.
I have family in Canada but we recently found out that they cannot sponsor us to get to Cananda. Our next best bet its for my husband to find a job in Canada.

My question is, if he goes over there on a holiday visa and finds work, can he apply for a work visa from Canada?
is he able to apply for a work visa instead of a holiday visa even though he has no work to go to?

we are fortunate enough to have family in Quebec and Toronto and my husband has a place to stay and support when he is there.
we do not want to apply to immigrate if we are not sure that we can get jobs in Canada. Our plan is to secure a job for my husband and then apply for citizenship while we are there. Is this possible?

we are both qualified.

i do hope someone can help us with this.

please if you have advise for us that would be great.
Hi,

You can try and assess yourselves if you are eligible to apply to immigrate in any of the available routes:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

gonnatry

Mar 1, 2010
thank you but that is not what i asked

i asked if he can get a work visa and or PR while on a holiday visa in Canada

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
gonnatry said:
thank you but that is not what i asked

i asked if he can get a work visa and or PR while on a holiday visa in Canada
Hi,

Sorry, I was going by your statement that you are both qualified.

gonnatry said:
we are both qualified.
Anyway,

gonnatry said:
Yes, I think WHV is valid for a year then after the year is over, he can ask his employer to file for LMO for him. He can then apply for a WP and then go from there- apply for PR through one of the immigration routes (link is on my previous post).

gonnatry said:
Having relatives in Canada can add to your your husband's points when he eventually applies for permanent residency.

gonnatry

Mar 1, 2010
thank you so much!

another question though, with him having a WP will we then be able to go over to Canada (my daughter - 9 months old and myself) to live with him. what sort of visa will we need?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
gonnatry said:
thank you so much!

another question though, with him having a WP will we then be able to go over to Canada (my daughter - 9 months old and myself) to live with him. what sort of visa will we need?
Hi,

If and when he obtains a work permit, which judging by the posts you have made, chances are he'll land on a high skilled job, you can then come and obtain an open work permit. But you are in for a long haul. He has to obtain his WHV, work for a year before applying for and obtaining a WP.

gonnatry

Mar 1, 2010
we are from South Africa and i dont think you can get a WHV. there is no mention of it.

from what i have tried to decipher myself (from reading the cic and canadian immigration websites), he has to attain a job offer. So our plan is for him to go over there on holiday to visit his family, while there he can go scouting and job hunting and hopefully secure a job offer. once he has a job offer the employer can help him attain a WP and while he has the WP he can start the process of applying for a PR.
During which time myself and my daughter will join him in Canada.

does this sound feesable? if not can you suggest what we should do?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
gonnatry said:
we are from South Africa and i dont think you can get a WHV. there is no mention of it.

from what i have tried to decipher myself (from reading the cic and canadian immigration websites), he has to attain a job offer. So our plan is for him to go over there on holiday to visit his family, while there he can go scouting and job hunting and hopefully secure a job offer. once he has a job offer the employer can help him attain a WP and while he has the WP he can start the process of applying for a PR.
During which time myself and my daughter will join him in Canada.

does this sound feesable? if not can you suggest what we should do?
Your husband's first hurdle would be obtaining the visit visa. Then he can go from there. I thought you were from a "visa -free" country. Well it is not impossible. All the best.

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
Your husband can go first on WHV then he can scout on jobs to have a work permit and then he can ask his employer to sponsor him thru pnp route. You will become pr at the same time with your husband. Thats the fastest way to become pr, i think.