+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need a few tips on newcomer tax filing

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

I am using the H&R Block software to do this for myself and wife, and just have a few quick ones.

We moved in September back and both became residents. (I am a returning citizen and she is a PR)

So while filling out the forms I have reported the small income she made in the Philippines but over all I believe that based on my not working and all the credits, even without factoring in any foreign tax credits, I don't see it deducting anything since we didn't make much. (For both foreign and Canada income when she got work when we arrived.)

Do I have to apply for the foreign tax credit (T2209) if there would be no benefit or just leave it out? I figure it might just complicate the return.

Any other tips on this would be great if anyone has anything else to add :)

Thanks ahead of time.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Yes it's all good. I figure we have to report the taxes. Just wondering if there are any nuances that I could use to be exempt in some cases, as it's a bit of a challenge to read through the treaties. Thanks for the reply.

Should I report only the Philippines taxable income (there's taxable stuff and then there's non taxable stuff) on the Canadian tax form or the total income including the the non taxable portions?

Last edited: