+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nearing the end of my 6 month limit - Options

cereberus

Aug 20, 2013
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen who has been in Canada for nearly 6 months now on a visit visa that is valid until the end of the year. I am taking a year off and have been visiting family, friends, travelling around the country and would like to continue to do so. I understand that I now have two choices - leave the country and come back, or extend my visa. I have a few questions in this regard that I'm hoping someone might be able to help answer.

1. If I leave the country and travel to the US, how long do I have to wait until I can return ? Is it possible to do so on the same day ?

2. How good are my chances of being granted an extension if I complete the application ? Bear in mind that I am able to adequately demonstrate proof of finances and have not been in any trouble since I've been here.

3. Do you suggest I choose one option over the other ?

Thanks in advance !

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
1- I don't think there is a specific period of time you need to be outside of Canada at the expiration of your permitted time to stay (Provided you have a valid visa to return) but the bottom line is you might not no longer be regarded as a visitor by the border officer which could potentially result in some difficult situations when next you visit.

2 - You need a valid reason for an extension. it has to be as good as when you originally applied for your visa so you can give it a shot

3- My suggestion is go to US, and upon return, just be truthful with the border officer. I want to travel some more around Canada and i have means to do so (show whatever documents you can show)

good luck !!!!