Med's Done....
23-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
Please advise best location to stay in NE Calgary with respect to ease of transit, shopping and reasonable rentals.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
There are many localities but Castleridge, Falconridge, Saddletown, Martindale are closes to LRT and Bus transit

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
any neighborhood after westwinds LRT (Light Rail Train) stop is safe for you. That's where the whole s.Asian grocery, particularly indian, thrives. But Rundle and Marlborough seem to be quite accessible to LRT, bus stops as well with access to western groceries which also carry ethnic aisles with limited items. Neighborhood safety is fairly reliable even in NE and if you're moving from USA even NE will look like heaven for you in terms of neighborhood safety. Safety has never been a serious problem in Calgary.

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
send all documents on 18/03/2013
I AM LANDING IN AUGUST WITH MY HUSBAND IN CALGARY, BUT WE ARE CONFUSED WHERE TO GO AFTER LANDING AS WE DONT HAVE ANY FRIENDS NOR RELATIVES, CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHERE TO GO? HOW TO FIND HOUSE FOR RENT?

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Use Calgary kijiji (http://calgary.kijiji.ca) to find apartments, basements or any kind of dwelling. Cabs from airport to many parts of cities are only $30 -$50 range. Then you will have a stream of ToDos like SIN# application, health card application and so on and forth. There are tons of resources here for you to figure those out, hope this helps. Let me know if you need any help, I will try my best.

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
Hello Canuckforever,

Thanks a lot for replying,

r u in calgary?

I am confused in bringing the thing what to bring if u have any idea or have ready list prepared then pls mail me (nimish_21@yahoo.in) so that i can pack.

i have INTEX tablet can i bring in canada?

Thanks

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Pritishah, Yes Im at Calgary. Try to bring all you need from India as much as possible right now. If there are other items you want to bring within a short span of time since your landing, then mention it in your "goods to follow" list. But big ticket items like furniture, mattress, TV and so on cannot be practically carried along right? So whatever is practically feasible for you, should be okay to bring along. Remember the landing and goods to follow are the only occasions when you can bring in goods without customs scrutiny in Canada. So even if your airlines are going to charge extra for the baggage, and you feel like it would be needed my advise would be bring it along. I have been in Canada for quite a while. So if you put in your list here I or any other members will be able to pass on suggestions.

Your INTEX table as long as it can work in Canada can be brought along. By that I mean the voltage differences (220 V in India Vs 120 V in Canada) and the plug point differences.

Hope this helps!

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
HELLO CANUCKFOREVER,

Thanks a lot for replying, i jst need perfect list of things to be carry if u have so that it will be very very easy for me, Coming in Aug is ok? what abt weather in Sep, Oct?

--- if we find the home with furnished (with TV, Internet, Furniture etc etc) what will be the minimum Rent?

--- if we find the home without furnished what will be rent?

--- Where to go after landing in Airport? can i get cheap hotels?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
pritishah1180 said:
HELLO CANUCKFOREVER,

Thanks a lot for replying, i jst need perfect list of things to be carry if u have so that it will be very very easy for me, Coming in Aug is ok? what abt weather in Sep, Oct? Winter will be on by October.
--- if we find the home with furnished (with TV, Internet, Furniture etc etc) what will be the minimum Rent? see details below
--- if we find the home without furnished what will be rent? see details below---
---- Where to go after landing in Airport? can i get cheap hotels? try to use Kijiji or rentfaster.ca (prefer this)
Pritishah
It all depends what are your priorities, how much you are willing to spend, what age kids you have (if any for school / college going). You can always shift your rental home once you settle after 6 months or one year.

If you want to move to calgary please note the expenses as follows:

Calgary NE

One large bed room Basement or two small bedroom basement with Utilities= CAD 700 to 800
One bed room apartment with utilizes = 950 to 1000
Two bedroom apartment with utilizes = 1100 to 1200
Furnished Homes with two bedroom= 1800 -2200

Main floor two bed room without utilities = 900 to 950
Full house with two bed room + Basement = 1400 to 1500 (without utilities)

Advantages of NE are mainly for Asians specially Sikh and Muslims as lot and lot of restaurants, grocery stores (Indian & Pakistani), Musalla, Gordwara, LRT and transit are available around.
Disadvantage of area is, not considered as high posh area and usually a middle class population lives here.

Calgary NW

More expensive areas, posh area, basement is normally not available easily

One bed room apartment with utilizes = 1000 to 1200
Two bedroom apartment with utilizes = 1300 to 1400
Furnished Homes with two bedroom= 2000 -2500

Main floor two bed room without utilities = 1100 to 1300
Full house with two/ three bed room + Basement = 1600 to 2000 (without utilities)

Advantage good clean locality, Ranchland, Hawkwood and Edgemount are slightly Asian and Arab locality. Other likeCenter, Browness, Cithal, Crowfoot, Tucsany are Western locality.

Main grocery stores are around but not very close to every one especially in winter 2-3 km far is not close to home.

Jobs in Alberta are more easily available than Toronto, Montreal or Winnippeg but not very easy as some folks might think. I am here for last one year by profession Petroleum engineer (most demanding profession here) but still struggling, although I have a good job earning more than 60K but still not to my profession so far. Also not all professions fit here so don't come with impression that all professional jobs are available in Alberta.

Professional registeration, western canada experience is prerequisite for most professional jobs, but one can be lucky as many lucky fellows are here making their fortunes.

Cost of food is high all over Canada and Calgary is no exception, however overall winnipeg is comparatively cheaper than rest of Canada. An average (2+2) family need to make CAD 2500/ month. Taxes are between 25% to 39% (less than ON & MB).

Daycare are very expensive but in most cases Govt. funding are available if family qualify due to low income. Calgary and Edmonton are colder than Toronto/ Mississauga.

SW is just like NW and SE is similar to NE, SW is little more expensive than NW similarly in NE instead of Desi community mostly east European and Aborginal are living, SE is high in crime rate.

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
Hello HASHER,

Thanks a lot lot lot lot lot and lot. Really its very useful what u have reply

--- My wife is lecturer in India and i am working as warehouse incharge in Shopping Mall.

--- According to your suggestion in which part we should move to canada? SW, NW, NE etc etc

--- Can u suggest the things to be bring when we come? I mean if u have list of things to take and not to take then pls can u mail in
nimish_21@yahoo.in

--- According to ur experience if u have any other city than in calgary then pls suggest coz. we have to look a place where we can settle
easily and can get job, as it does not make difference where ever we go coz. we dont have friend nor relative in canada, so we can
move to any city.

--- Can we bring the Steel Vessels?

--- What about clothes over there? is it cheap or average in cost?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
pritishah1180 said:
Hello HASHER,

Thanks a lot lot lot lot lot and lot. Really its very useful what u have reply

--- My wife is lecturer in India and i am working as warehouse incharge in Shopping Mall.Please come prepare that you both have to go to some courses from SAIT/ UC or Bow Valley college (or similar institute) to get adjusted with Job requirement in Calgary, your wife cannot be a lecturer unless her education is Phd (even Master cannot get a teaching job here unless she is very very lucky) You also need to have some local education otherwise you have to take Labor job for very long time, again you can be lucky to be not what I am saying but my suggestion is not count on luck and come with worst in mind.

--- According to your suggestion in which part we should move to canada? SW, NW, NE etc etc: It is you to decide but I started myself from NE as people coming from India, Pakistan, BD, Nepal like to live here as you can find everything that you have there in India (sure piceses are way high, as in Dollar)

--- Can u suggest the things to be bring when we come? I mean if u have list of things to take and not to take then pls can u mail in
nimish_21 @ yahoo.in - No idea

--- According to ur experience if u have any other city than in calgary then pls suggest coz. we have to look a place where we can settle
easily and can get job, as it does not make difference where ever we go coz. we dont have friend nor relative in canada, so we can
move to any city. Frankly for Job go to Fort McMurry, Alberta but it is a remote area with lot of Oil & Gas jobs of every level, not bad to start in Canada.

--- Can we bring the Steel Vessels?
You can bring anything not prohibited including steel vessels, just make sure no need to exceed the baggage limit. You can have a long long list of item to follow and you can ask your relatives in India to send you whenever you want in future becoz this list will help you to bring things in Canada free of custom charges. Now tell you about myself, I brought Cash and Jewellery and that actually you need here, usually after two/ three months whatever you have from india will not worth much to you-but a dead load sometimes.

--- What about clothes over there? is it cheap or average in cost?

Cloths are cheap if you can wear the slightly used from Thrift, but new cloths are expensive as compare to india, bring few cloths like Sarie, Shalwar kameez or traditional dress other than Jeans, jeans are available from CAD 7-30, Shirts CAD12-30 and this waht men & women both wear here.
You didn't talk about Kids, otherwise I would suggest good quantity/ quality cloths for Kids as they are expensive here.
Bring everything NEW & good Quality, used everything is cheaper than you can think (sometimes free)

All above if you are moving Calgary, about Fort McMurray I don't know, but Fort MCmurray you would hopefully get a job soon- but make sure you go to all job sites before even you come to Canada and see the job situation for yourself. You can go Monster.ca, Career.ca or Calgary Career.com etc.

Try to get to the New comer centers so as to get maximum help from the agenciies who help immigrant, at airport they will give you lot of information about that though.

best of luck

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
Hello HASHER,

Thanks a lot for replying its very useful for me and my wife.

----- I want to bring @5000$ so can u suggest which will be the easy way? What will be the charges overthere when I will encash?

----- After reaching there in which bank should i open an account?

----- Is is possible that i open account from India and can operate from there? if yes then in which Bank should i open an account?

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pritishah1180 said:
Hello HASHER,

Thanks a lot for replying its very useful for me and my wife.

----- I want to bring @ 5000$ so can u suggest which will be the easy way? What will be the charges overthere when I will encash?

----- After reaching there in which bank should i open an account?

----- Is is possible that i open account from India and can operate from there? if yes then in which Bank should i open an account?
If you wish,you could carry in cash as well, we carried like 7000 with us, but we stayed with relatives and opened bank account the next day
right after getting out SIN num. (Though it was in ON)

dina07

Star Member
May 1, 2013
GUJARAT
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH-2010
IELTS Request
6.5 BANDS
Med's Request
22/02/2013
Med's Done....
01/03/2013
Interview........
WAIVED BY THE GRACE OF GOD
Passport Req..
22/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
23/04/2013
LANDED..........
may be in Aug-Sep-2013
Hello Everyone,

--- Is it necessary to bring RainCoat or will i get cheap from calgary?

--- What will be Weather in August? After reaching there within a week will i get a job? At present I am working in Shopping Mall as a
Warehouse Incharge.

--- We are couple and while my process was going on we had shown 13801$ Fund (@7.50.000 INR) so it is necessary to bring that much
amount only or can i bring less than that?

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dina07 said:
Hello Everyone,

--- Is it necessary to bring RainCoat or will i get cheap from calgary?

--- What will be Weather in August? After reaching there within a week will i get a job? At present I am working in Shopping Mall as a
Warehouse Incharge.

--- We are couple and while my process was going on we had shown 13801$ Fund ( @ 7.50.000 INR) so it is necessary to bring that much
amount only or can i bring less than that?
For the first landing, you must bring the amount suggested for 2 people