+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Native speakers takiNG IELTS test - what are things to be weary of?

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Hi,

I'm a native Eng speaker taking my IELTS this weekend (obviously I need to have it for my FSW VISA). All booked and paid so I can't change it now.

I told the guy at the application centre that I would just turn up to the test and ace it, and he laughed and said that a lot of native speakers think that, but actually, that there are a lot of little finicky things that can catch people out, and there are certain things in regards to formats and such, that native speakers need to be made aware of...

Have any other native speakers taken the test?

What are some things I should be aware of?

What are some of the silly little things that might be likely to catch me out?

Cheers

WW

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I haven't done IELTS but our friend has and found that it was helpful to use the study materials available to familiarize yourself with the test format. Just a hint, I think you meant WARY not "weary", didn't you? Good luck.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just because you are a native speaker, doesn't mean you will do good on IELTS, especially if you didn't prepare for it. go through the online free materials (look it up on google) and get an idea of what the questions might be like.

waxweasel

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Pippin said:
I haven't done IELTS but our friend has and found that it was helpful to use the study materials available to familiarize yourself with the test format. Just a hint, I think you meant WARY not "weary", didn't you? Good luck.
Lol! I hope that elementary error is not a sign of things to come!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Having taken the test recently, I think I can give you one piece of advice. Do not get too comfortable with the test. It seemed to me that the standard for the test is towards achieving the 'ideal' English language skills (if there is any at this day and age) and not necessarily practical skills. It is very pedantic. I found this to be true mainly for the speaking part of the test. It was very unnatural and forced, and does not involve any conversation. You will be in a situation that you will most likely NEVER encounter in your real life. Imagine that you are being interviewed by the Queen of England or something like that! For me, I felt like I was being interviewed for the position of the President of the US (if an interview was a part of the process). Writing could be challenging too if you don't like writing like most people. So, like other posters before me have said, get familiar with the format but also try to stick to the basic and 'formal' form of English.

But of course, it depends on how much point you want! Take a couple of practice tests and see how you score. Most likely, you will easily get about 8 bands in listening and reading if you know the format. Writing and speaking are tricky since they are subjective and that's where you might need to focus more on.