+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nationality shown on PR card (Applying for PR with dual citizenship)

suharry

Dec 5, 2019
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for PR (Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class), and I am a dual citizen of the US and Thailand.
If granted PR, I would like to have my PR card list my nationality as "Thailand," rather than "US," for personal reasons. My country of birth is the US, but I spent the majority of my life in the other country. I came to study and work in Canada as a US citizen.

I am submitting both passports for my Express Entry application, since they asked me to list all of my nationalities, and there's room to fill in information for multiple passports.

Does anyone know if CIC allows PR applicants to choose which country you would like to have listed as your nationality on your PR card, if you have dual citizenship? (I'm assuming they don't list all countries of citizenship on the card, judging from the images I've found online.)

Or is it up to CIC to decide which country will be listed? If so, how do they decide which country takes preference over the other?

I'm concerned that due to the fact that I came to Canada on a student visa and work visa as a US citizen, CIC will automatically choose to list my citizenship on the PR card as "US," rather than Thailand.

I've tried calling CIC several times but I can't get a hold of a representative.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you!

dejavus

Apr 22, 2015
Since your current status in Canada is US citizen and you have applied inland then your US citizenship will be given preference over any other.

Jan 30, 2020
Hi!
Do you have news about your process? What happened?
I also have dual citizenship, and they asked my biometry in the citizenship that I didn't want to. Do you know if is it possible to change it?
Thank you!

Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for PR (Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class), and I am a dual citizen of the US and Thailand.
If granted PR, I would like to have my PR card list my nationality as "Thailand," rather than "US," for personal reasons. My country of birth is the US, but I spent the majority of my life in the other country. I came to study and work in Canada as a US citizen.

I am submitting both passports for my Express Entry application, since they asked me to list all of my nationalities, and there's room to fill in information for multiple passports.

Does anyone know if CIC allows PR applicants to choose which country you would like to have listed as your nationality on your PR card, if you have dual citizenship? (I'm assuming they don't list all countries of citizenship on the card, judging from the images I've found online.)

Or is it up to CIC to decide which country will be listed? If so, how do they decide which country takes preference over the other?

I'm concerned that due to the fact that I came to Canada on a student visa and work visa as a US citizen, CIC will automatically choose to list my citizenship on the PR card as "US," rather than Thailand.

I've tried calling CIC several times but I can't get a hold of a representative.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you!