+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Update. Applied to NNAS they received all documents by May 2018. Application was under final review for about a month or so. I inquire about my status last week and they told me its under QA for quality check and should have report by this week. To my surprise, my status has changed to waiting for additional documents at this last stage. Apparently they are saying some details were missed by my nurse registration license office which we do not have control over as we send form to them and they fill it up themselves and send it to NNAS directly.

My frustration is if something was missing why they didn't clear that in last 4 months time. Its back to initial stages again and will go through review - final review and all that crap. Such a waste of time and no clear visibility. I am not sure what to do..
Is there a way i can send complaint to anyone?
This is nothing new, you're not the only person this has happened to. There is no accountability and nobody to complain to. The main office in Toronto doesn't answer the phone, the Office of the Fairness Commissioner doesn't care, and licensing bodies here don't care either. They are just happy to have NNAS to use as a scapegoat. I'm sorry to tell you, you're at the mercy of NNAS. Wish I had better news for you.

Reactions: ksp1989

ksp1989

Star Member
Oct 19, 2014
This is nothing new, you're not the only person this has happened to. There is no accountability and nobody to complain to. The main office in Toronto doesn't answer the phone, the Office of the Fairness Commissioner doesn't care, and licensing bodies here don't care either. They are just happy to have NNAS to use as a scapegoat. I'm sorry to tell you, you're at the mercy of NNAS. Wish I had better news for you.
Thanks RN for the update. Do you know any kind of work/job we can do related to our field while awaiting our fate from NNAS and CNO that won't require license?

dhamid

Sep 17, 2018
Good Evening. I have been following this thread for a long time and just wanted to post my timelines.

I went to school in USA- Indiana State University-DEC 2016

Work Experience: 7 Months in USA as a NICU Nurse.

Applied to NNAS: Dec 2017

NNAS report issued: Aug 2018 (comparable results - ETP% 81)

Applied to CNO – Aug 2018

Received RN license: Sep 2018

Having previous registration with CNO even in RPN class (I had since 2010) I think helped expedite my file. When I started my BSN in 2013 there was no NNAS at that time. I came to know the existence of NNAS in 2017 and was shitting my pants as I was not sure if I would get a comparable or non-comparable result.

I have learned a lot from this thread and hopefully it will continue.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Good Evening. I have been following this thread for a long time and just wanted to post my timelines.

I went to school in USA- Indiana State University-DEC 2016

Work Experience: 7 Months in USA as a NICU Nurse.

Applied to NNAS: Dec 2017

NNAS report issued: Aug 2018 (comparable results - ETP% 81)

Applied to CNO – Aug 2018

Received RN license: Sep 2018

Having previous registration with CNO even in RPN class (I had since 2010) I think helped expedite my file. When I started my BSN in 2013 there was no NNAS at that time. I came to know the existence of NNAS in 2017 and was shitting my pants as I was not sure if I would get a comparable or non-comparable result.

I have learned a lot from this thread and hopefully it will continue.
You lucked out because others before you fought to make changes. When NNAS was first implemented all US educated nurses with 4 year BSN's were deemed "non comparable", along with everyone else that applied. Even those that were educated in universities that were accepted by CNO for over a decade prior to NNAS were deemed non-comparable. CNO wouldn't budge--they knew it was wrong but wanted to stick to their guns on NNAS being the be all end all judge of comparability. US educated IENs had to go though pure hell, complete all the exams and paperwork that someone who was educated in a country very different from Canada had to complete. It is beyond sickening that they had to go through this. The only happy part is that CNO finally made changes and NNAS did too (but they will NEVER admit there was an issue in the first place, they will say that people learned how to submit documents properly and previous issues were all issues with applicants not submitting documents properly). The whole process was terrible. This isn't intended to make you feel bad for lucking out, just to outline how this happened and that it wasn't always this way. Congrats on getting your license!

Alphy Antony

Jul 13, 2018
mississauga
Update. Applied to NNAS they received all documents by May 2018. Application was under final review for about a month or so. I inquire about my status last week and they told me its under QA for quality check and should have report by this week. To my surprise, my status has changed to waiting for additional documents at this last stage. Apparently they are saying some details were missed by my nurse registration license office which we do not have control over as we send form to them and they fill it up themselves and send it to NNAS directly.

My frustration is if something was missing why they didn't clear that in last 4 months time. Its back to initial stages again and will go through review - final review and all that crap. Such a waste of time and no clear visibility. I am not sure what to do..
Is there a way i can send complaint to anyone?
something same is in my case too .I started my application in april 2018,all documents submitted by May end.All documents received and ready for evaluation except one my license documents which they received i have proof ,they too agree but not been updated .I asked them 1000 times,called them every week and gets the same response manager is working on it.last week they said there has been a confusion with my registration so i asked why they have not informed me .Still same answer they are working on it .I am beyond grieved ,no one to listen ,where to complaint.Its not easy as already they took these much time,I wonder what excuse they will give me next time I call them.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
something same is in my case too .I started my application in april 2018,all documents submitted by May end.All documents received and ready for evaluation except one my license documents which they received i have proof ,they too agree but not been updated .I asked them 1000 times,called them every week and gets the same response manager is working on it.last week they said there has been a confusion with my registration so i asked why they have not informed me .Still same answer they are working on it .I am beyond grieved ,no one to listen ,where to complaint.Its not easy as already they took these much time,I wonder what excuse they will give me next time I call them.
Yup. No oversight or accountability. You can complain to CNO and Office of the Fairness Commissioner. Nothing will be done but at least you have sent in your complaint. The more the better.

ksp1989

Star Member
Oct 19, 2014
Hey just to let you know when I called them I got the contact information of the evaluator so i reached out to him directly via email. My application was in QA (last stage) and they found a glitch with one missing field (yes or no question) in my form which was not that critical for changing the final report outcome and the answer was intuitive based on other questions and license information on form. I explained to the evaluator that the answer to this field is obvious and the evaluator mentioned he needs that in writing. He was very helpful and accepted the answer via email from my nursing council (glad saved another 3 month headache from submitting the new form and processing it).

ksp1989

Star Member
Oct 19, 2014
First of all thanks to everyone for helping out in the process and sharing their feedback. Special thanks to @RN_0001 your contribution to this forum is instrumental.

UPDATE: NNAS Report Issued Sep 20

Applied : Jan 2018
All Documents Received - May 2018

Applied for RPN and RN

Report outcome:
Education (BSN) : India
RPN - Somewhat comparable 49.14%
RN - Not comparable 43.04%
Province - Ontario (CNO)

Currently practicing RN in USA and passed NCLEX-RN in 2016.

What should be my next steps? Can I apply for RPN and RN at the same time now? Or should go for RPN first and then for RN.

Also let me know of any helpful insights that i need to be aware of and should do it while the application is in process

Kindly advice.

Last edited:

ksp1989

Star Member
Oct 19, 2014
I don't know how NNAS measure comparability and don't want to get into this. Saw something in my report which i want to share with you.

In the breakdown when i noticed one section ETHICAL PRACTICE for RN and RPN. In RN report the percentage is about 21% more than in RPN (I thought RPN should be high but its the other way around). At the end of the day it all depends on the person who is making your report.

Anyways, moral of the story is LUCK - that's all you needs for licensure in canada which everyone knows who is following this forum. I hope that stays my side for the next steps in process.

Believe08

Sep 13, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. I have an important clarification . I received my NNAS report .Then while applying to CNO,I have made some stupid mistakes(date of birth and phone number). I have not yet paid. But I need to change the information before I pay. I couldn't able to change those information in the application.please clarify me in this which is very urgent now..I contacted CNO but no one answer the call..pls please guide me how can I change my information in the application asap.. Thank you in advance.

Believe08

Sep 13, 2018
How can I change the details which I have made mistake in CNO application? I couldn't able to change it.. yet I haven't pay.. kindly pleaseplease clarify me in this.

ksp1989

Star Member
Oct 19, 2014
How can I change the details which I have made mistake in CNO application? I couldn't able to change it.. yet I haven't pay.. kindly pleaseplease clarify me in this.
Best option is to contact them but i am not sure how soon they are going to respond. Another alternative is try creating new account with different email address since you have not submitted the application.

Reactions: Myrururur