+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

thrissur

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Received NNAS Advisory Report 'Not Comparable' ,
Applied CNO RN Registered nurse, dated on July 2017
Yesterday I got mail from CNO for writing Jurisprudence Exam.
I am 4 yrs BSC Nurse and also completed NCLEX RN. My question is, after I write Jurisprudence Exam what is the next step. Am I eligible to practice RN ?

Last edited:

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I am 4 yrs BSC Nurse and also completed NCLEX RN. My question is, after I write Jurisprudence Exam what is the next step. Am I eligible to practice RN ?
No, likely not. Did they send you anything else? Namely, a list of requirements that have been met and have not been met? Have you received a letter that says you meet the education requirement? Or a letter that says you do not meet the education requirement? This is the piece of information that you need to know at this point.

Jurisprudence can be completed by anyone who has applied to CNO, at any time once their application has been recieved. It is the cheapest step out of all of it, and many do it to get it out of the way. It's done online and is an open-book exam.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Where did you receive your nursing education from?

thrissur

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
No, likely not. Did they send you anything else? Namely, a list of requirements that have been met and have not been met? Have you received a letter that says you meet the education requirement? Or a letter that says you do not meet the education requirement? This is the piece of information that you need to know at this point.

Jurisprudence can be completed by anyone who has applied to CNO, at any time once their application has been recieved. It is the cheapest step out of all of it, and many do it to get it out of the way. It's done online and is an open-book exam.
No. They did not mentioned anything. Just mentioned two lines only. "You are receiving this e-mail as an applicant to the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). Our records indicate that you are required to complete the CNO's jurisprudence examination as part of your application for registration with the College". They told me to activate the account. I don't know why ??
So.. After completing this exam what is the next step in the RN process.
please reply

Jmarbach

Dec 22, 2017
Hey everyone,
I applied to the CNO coming up on two months ago, after receiving a "comparable" from the NNAS. I still have not received anything in the mail and when i call they say its still under review. How long did it take for everyone to get something in the mail from the CNO?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
No. They did not mentioned anything. Just mentioned two lines only. "You are receiving this e-mail as an applicant to the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). Our records indicate that you are required to complete the CNO's jurisprudence examination as part of your application for registration with the College". They told me to activate the account. I don't know why ??
So.. After completing this exam what is the next step in the RN process.
please reply
Okay so you just received a standard form email that everyone who applies to CNO receives. Successful completion of Jurisprudence is only "part of your application for registration". So you can complete it at any point going forward (once you activate your account).
After completing this exam you will wait for CNO to let you know what your next steps are. They will send you a letter stating that you do or do not meet the education requirement. Please be warned that the letter which you will likely receive is terrible and harsh. They usually start in bolded letters "You do NOT meet the education requirement". Incredibly unprofessional. From there, they will likely as you to provide some information about your past and/or present nursing work experience. Some documents will need to be signed and completed by your nursing employers etc. Then they will assess whether the work you have done proves that your education is equivalent to a Canadian education. If they decide no (which is likely if your only nursing work experience has been in India) then they will ask you to do the IENCAP exam. It costs $500 and consists of a whole day of testing. Half of the day is a multiple choice exam and the other half is 12 stations with patient actors and nurses who watch you assess and treat the 'patient'. It takes months to get a spot in the exam so as soon as new exam dates open up I recommend you register right away. If you pass that test then you will have met the education requirement (it takes at least 8 weeks to get the results). Then you will get a letter saying which requirements you have and have not met. Once you feel you have met them, you can apply to for your license and await their response. I will warn you that some people have waited forever. @Legentellison has been waiting forever. If you try to call CNO you will be on the phone waiting in line for up to 4 hours. It's a really rough ride so my best advice is to be sure that you want this really badly before proceeding. I wish I had known all this when I first began. I hope things get faster for you and others beginning the process.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hey everyone,
I applied to the CNO coming up on two months ago, after receiving a "comparable" from the NNAS. I still have not received anything in the mail and when i call they say its still under review. How long did it take for everyone to get something in the mail from the CNO?
Where did you receive your nursing education?
It could take forever. There is someone on this forum who has been waiting over a year :(

Jmarbach

Dec 22, 2017
Where did you receive your nursing education?
It could take forever. There is someone on this forum who has been waiting over a year :(
I went to school in the US, in Philadelphia. Wow, I was wondering why things were going slowly, just assumed with Christmas it was worse. When i called a little while ago the customer service lady said I would hear by the holidays, but of course I didn't.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I went to school in the US, in Philadelphia. Wow, I was wondering why things were going slowly, just assumed with Christmas it was worse. When i called a little while ago the customer service lady said I would hear by the holidays, but of course I didn't.
Yeah it will be a while, I'm sorry to say. Although, it has been getting a bit quicker for US educated applicants now that NNAS doesn't find them "non-comparable" all the time. I was educated in Michigan and I got "non-comparable". Went through hell, had to do IENCAP etc. They wouldn't admit that there was a problem with NNAS. After all that stress (and let me tell you--STRESS!--I am a Canadian citizen, born and raised, living in a border town--thought I wouldn't ever be able to work in my own country without re-doing a degree that I already earned) and about $2000 later, all of a sudden NNAS is finding US educated applicants "comparable". It will be a bit of a wait but at least take solace in the fact that you won't have to go through what I went through. Not that that is helpful for you, but that's the 3 year history of NNAS so far with US educated RN's. Hope they do get back to you in January though.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Its surprising that they asked only for Jurisprudence exam & not anything else as in my case they asked to appears for IENCAP along with Jurisprudence.

Any ways its an open book & you can give it online .. so give & update them, Nothing else you can do as of now.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Can Any one suggest the study material or books to refer for MCQs written exam preparation of OSCE/IENCAP ?
Reposting : "Can Any one suggest the study material or books to refer for MCQs written exam preparation of OSCE/IENCAP ?"

I am giving OSCE on 31st Jan 2018.

sehri

Nov 22, 2017
Hepatitis doesn't matter. Half of the people who immigrate to Canada from India and Asia carry Hepatitis B. The only thing that the license would require in this regard is that you not have an illness that affects your ability to function as a nurse. Beyond that, you're good to go for nursing.

I'm not sure about immigration though. Sometimes people who would be a burden on the health care system are not seen as desirable immigration applicants. Not sure where Hep B would fit there though. I imagine it's fine for immigration purposes as well.
Thank you for your reply :) I hope I can be successful in this process. I can not learn anything without try.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Reposting : "Can Any one suggest the study material or books to refer for MCQs written exam preparation of OSCE/IENCAP ?"

I am giving OSCE on 31st Jan 2018.
review assessments and the nursing competencies, as well as the stuff you would have learned for Jurisprudence