12-03-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2015
LANDED..........
30-07-2015
needscoffee said:
you can file to review again your files but you have to pay around $500.
like im going to pay them that much. this NNAS feels like a scam.

trxter41

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-03-2015
Med's Done....
12-03-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2015
LANDED..........
30-07-2015
RN_0001 said:
Something is definitely wrong then. NNAS is a terrible assessment tool is the first place but it doesn't even pick up on Canadian education? I would definitely call NNAS and ask to speak with the person that signed the bottom of your Advisory Report.
there is indeed something wrong with NNAS. i know it's a relatively new system but they need to make changes so we don't have these kinds of assessment results.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
trxter41 said:
there is indeed something wrong with NNAS. i know it's a relatively new system but they need to make changes so we don't have these kinds of assessment results.
I agree. But applicants need to all write to the regulatory bodies, Office of the Fairness Commissioner (if in Ontario), Members of Provincial Parliament and NNAS. I have written letters to all, but it is strength in numbers. The more who write with clear definitions of the problem and proposed solutions, the better.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
trxter41 said:
like im going to pay them that much. this NNAS feels like a scam.
And I know of many people who have had better luck anyway when they just called and talked to their assessor and/or the person that signed their assessment at NNAS.

diding

Oct 14, 2016
I just received my advisory report and as expected, it is not comparable. However, i would just like to mention the speed of my application. After 2weeks of completing all the requirements, they have sent me my advisory report. Anyone who have the same experience as mine??

Elledeux

Mar 31, 2017
diding said:
I just received my advisory report and as expected, it is not comparable. However, i would just like to mention the speed of my application. After 2weeks of completing all the requirements, they have sent me my advisory report. Anyone who have the same experience as mine??
Now that's refreshing! Yours is the fastest I've read about so far.

Elledeux

Mar 31, 2017
Does anyone know if there's been a reduction in the waiting list at York University for the IEN Bridging Program? I understand the CNO recently partnered with some universities including York to develop new competency-based courses for IENs with few competency gaps, as opposed to doing the full program for 20 months.

I just tried to post a link but it's not allowed on this forum apparently.

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
diding said:
that's fast! mine took 4 months before they release my advisory report.
sorry to hear that though.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Elledeux said:
Does anyone know if there's been a reduction in the waiting list at York University for the IEN Bridging Program? I understand the CNO recently partnered with some universities including York to develop new competency-based courses for IENs with few competency gaps, as opposed to doing the full program for 20 months....
I highly doubt it will have reduced the waiting list that much at this point, but it is true that they have created some courses for certain competency gaps only. When an applicant successfully completes the course for "ethical practice" for example, s/he will be considered to have met that particular competency. This is definitely an improvement from before, as applicants were given a list of competencies and they had to take courses that they hoped would fulfill the competency, and then send the syllabus to CNO for them to determine whether or not the course does fulfill the competency. CNO would not confirm before the applicant took the course whether or not they would accept it. At least now, if you can get into one of those courses, you know they will be acceptable to CNO.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
diding said:
I think I might be a bit skeptical about whether or not your education got a proper review. It just doesn't make sense with their backlog and others who have been waiting more than 6 months. I can only think that maybe they didn't give it a proper review, or, there have been so many applicants from your school that have been assessed and found "non-comparable" that it was an easy one for them because they knew yours would be the same. I know that one of the goals of NNAS was to eventually have a database of nursing programs worldwide. Once they have enough, assessments will take no time at all. I would hope that the fees would reduce then, however, I'm not holding my breath.

Elledeux

Mar 31, 2017
RN_0001 said:
I highly doubt it will have reduced the waiting list that much at this point, but it is true that they have created some courses for certain competency gaps only. When an applicant successfully completes the course for "ethical practice" for example, s/he will be considered to have met that particular competency. This is definitely an improvement from before, as applicants were given a list of competencies and they had to take courses that they hoped would fulfill the competency, and then send the syllabus to CNO for them to determine whether or not the course does fulfill the competency. CNO would not confirm before the applicant took the course whether or not they would accept it. At least now, if you can get into one of those courses, you know they will be acceptable to CNO.
Yeah true!

I asked because I would like to do the 20 months bridging program to BScN after CNO's assessment. I've only got a Diploma. Hopefully I'll get the option to do that straight away.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Elledeux said:
Yeah true!

I asked because I would like to do the 20 months bridging program to BScN after CNO's assessment. I've only got a Diploma. Hopefully I'll get the option to do that straight away.
I hope you are able to get in right away too. In the meantime, I might make appointments to inquire about any BScN programs in your area and see if they can give you an indication as to whether any of the courses you previously took could be counted towards a Canadian BScN (so that maybe you would have to do 3 years instead of 4, or something like that). You might have better luck with the programs that are 2 years of college and then 2 years of university. I'm suggesting this because I know that many people have actually mapped it out and found that it is faster and more guaranteed for them to do the BScN, rather than wait for a spot in the Bridge program. Bridging is about 2 years and if you can do a BScN in 3 years with the courses you have already taken, it will be faster to do the BScN because you will wait at least a year (likely) to get into the bridge program. I guess what I'm saying is, best to investigate all of your options and that's definitely one of them. Many have chosen that route. :)

Elledeux

Mar 31, 2017
RN_0001 said:
I hope you are able to get in right away too. In the meantime, I might make appointments to inquire about any BScN programs in your area and see if they can give you an indication as to whether any of the courses you previously took could be counted towards a Canadian BScN (so that maybe you would have to do 3 years instead of 4, or something like that). You might have better luck with the programs that are 2 years of college and then 2 years of university. I'm suggesting this because I know that many people have actually mapped it out and found that it is faster and more guaranteed for them to do the BScN, rather than wait for a spot in the Bridge program. Bridging is about 2 years and if you can do a BScN in 3 years with the courses you have already taken, it will be faster to do the BScN because you will wait at least a year (likely) to get into the bridge program. I guess what I'm saying is, best to investigate all of your options and that's definitely one of them. Many have chosen that route. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bridging Program at York University supposed to earn one a BScN after completing the 20 months? I have a 3-year Nursing Diploma. Why would I want to do another 3 years when I can do the bridge and earn a BScN in Canada straight away?

Here's what I got from their website; "York’s program allows students to build on the strengths they already have so they can more quickly obtain the Canadian credentials they need for employment in Ontario, Canada. We provide a program specifically designed to enhance the practice of internationally educated nurses to practice safely and competently within the Canadian context. In addition, the program provides professional mentoring opportunities which include support, clinical guidance, and the exploration of career choices. Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) degree in 20 months of concentrated and continuous six semesters. On completion of the program the student is qualified to write the NCLEX-RN."

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Elledeux said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bridging Program at York University supposed to earn one a BScN after completing the 20 months? I have a 3-year Nursing Diploma. Why would I want to do another 3 years when I can do the bridge and earn a BScN in Canada straight away?

Here's what I got from their website; "York’s program allows students to build on the strengths they already have so they can more quickly obtain the Canadian credentials they need for employment in Ontario, Canada. We provide a program specifically designed to enhance the practice of internationally educated nurses to practice safely and competently within the Canadian context. In addition, the program provides professional mentoring opportunities which include support, clinical guidance, and the exploration of career choices. Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) degree in 20 months of concentrated and continuous six semesters. On completion of the program the student is qualified to write the NCLEX-RN."
Yes you are correct. Sorry, I should have specified that my suggestion was based on timing only. It would be nice, but is unlikely that you will get into the bridging program the next time they start one. So I was suggesting this because it may actually get you a BScN faster than waiting to be accepted into and to complete the Bridging program at York. I agree it's ridiculous that you would have to repeat some coursework, but I'm thinking here in terms of getting where you want to be faster.