+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
anybody here pursuing nursing career from Alberta? I know there will be lots of difference if you're applying from other provinces.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Congratulations Vivon

vivon said:
I am officially a Registered nurse in Ontario!! I couldn't believe my eyes when i received the email from CNO! It has been a tough journey and i wish everybody the best in this process. My timeline is as follows:

Jan 2016: started NNAS application
May 2016: NNAS application completed
November 2016: Received 'somewhat comparable' from NNAS. Applied to CNO and CARNA
December 2016: CNO states education met and requests job description
January 2017: CNO requests registration application, payment and police criminal background
February 2017: Received my registration number

I completed my education in USA so i did not have to do NCLEX. I also had my police criminal background check at hand since i have been working as PSW to help pay my bills. I received an email from CARNA last week offering me a temporary license but i stopped my application with them. I am so glad to have completed this journey and i wish everyone the same.

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
vivon said:
I am officially a Registered nurse in Ontario!! I couldn't believe my eyes when i received the email from CNO! It has been a tough journey and i wish everybody the best in this process. My timeline is as follows:

Jan 2016: started NNAS application
May 2016: NNAS application completed
November 2016: Received 'somewhat comparable' from NNAS. Applied to CNO and CARNA
December 2016: CNO states education met and requests job description
January 2017: CNO requests registration application, payment and police criminal background
February 2017: Received my registration number

I completed my education in USA so i did not have to do NCLEX. I also had my police criminal background check at hand since i have been working as PSW to help pay my bills. I received an email from CARNA last week offering me a temporary license but i stopped my application with them. I am so glad to have completed this journey and i wish everyone the same.
Are you a Canadian citizen or PR? What is your eligibility to work in Canada? I'm an American and they're having me apply for a conditional registration, the condition being I have a work permit, then I would be granted full registration. I should get a response in the mail in the next week or so, but on the phone the lady explained it's almost always granted.

brown3979

Oct 1, 2016
RN_0001 said:
Thanks for your response. Wow, I am surprised also. So NNAS (and I'm assuming then, CNO, unless you had sent info from your first degree to CNO for them to review) only had syllabi from 17 months worth of coursework and no syllabi to assess the comparability of the courses that were transfer credits from your non-nursing degree.
The 17 months of school was all of the normal courses someone would take in nursing school for a BSN. Only condensed so it worked out to 30-40 hours a week of class/clinical. They just didnt have the information for all of the fluff classes they make you take to graduate (history, social sciences, math etc)

vivon

Jun 5, 2015
brown3979 said:
Are you a Canadian citizen or PR? What is your eligibility to work in Canada? I'm an American and they're having me apply for a conditional registration, the condition being I have a work permit, then I would be granted full registration. I should get a response in the mail in the next week or so, but on the phone the lady explained it's almost always granted.
I am a PR

vivon

Jun 5, 2015
allyexa said:
Congrats! I am wonder if you did a 4 year BSN program or a ASN/BSN combo? As well, did you give your school any special instructions when they sent in the syllabi? I'm curious how some schools in the USA are getting somewhat comparable ratings, and others are not. Did you have any experience as a nurse in the USA before your NNAS application?
I completed LPN/ASN/BSN. As far as syllabus are concerned i did not have to instruct except for my LPN school. I did not even know what effect the syllabus had on my final result at the time of application.
My evaluation at NNAS too 5.5 months!!

vivon

Jun 5, 2015
allyexa said:
Congrats! I am wonder if you did a 4 year BSN program or a ASN/BSN combo? As well, did you give your school any special instructions when they sent in the syllabi? I'm curious how some schools in the USA are getting somewhat comparable ratings, and others are not. Did you have any experience as a nurse in the USA before your NNAS application?
Yes i have almost 5 years experience as RN in the US.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
"Staff are proposing a new process which they believe will provide a rigorous assessment and enhance the opportunities for international applicants to provide evidence that they meet the entry to practice competencies. If approved, the College will review the assessments from all
international applicants who had been assessed as not meeting requirements since the National Service began providing the College with reports.
The changes in the process were highlighted: (1) accepting programs that are assessed by the national service as meeting the threshold for equivalence to a Canadian program; and (2) adding an assessment of past and current practice for those applicants whose program is assessed as not equivalent by the National Service".

The above is taken straight from the minutes of the September 2016 CNO Council meeting. It has since been approved. If you are an applicant who had been deemed "non-comparable" by NNAS, I would suggest calling or emailing CNO to see whether your case has been reviewed and if your next steps are different from what was originally communicated to you. Hopefully there will be some pleasant surprises.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Thank you for sharing.

RN_0001 said:
"Staff are proposing a new process which they believe will provide a rigorous assessment and enhance the opportunities for international applicants to provide evidence that they meet the entry to practice competencies. If approved, the College will review the assessments from all
international applicants who had been assessed as not meeting requirements since the National Service began providing the College with reports.
The changes in the process were highlighted: (1) accepting programs that are assessed by the national service as meeting the threshold for equivalence to a Canadian program; and (2) adding an assessment of past and current practice for those applicants whose program is assessed as not equivalent by the National Service".

The above is taken straight from the minutes of the September 2016 CNO Council meeting. It has since been approved. If you are an applicant who had been deemed "non-comparable" by NNAS, I would suggest calling or emailing CNO to see whether your case has been reviewed and if your next steps are different from what was originally communicated to you. Hopefully there will be some pleasant surprises.

mk84

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
Med's Request
21-07-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2015
Passport Req..
26-04-16
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-16
LANDED..........
07-2017
needscoffee said:
anybody here pursuing nursing career from Alberta? I know there will be lots of difference if you're applying from other provinces.
Yes, I am doing my Carna registration now..

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
mk84 said:
Yes, I am doing my Carna registration now..
hi! how long before your advisory report from NNAS was released? what was your result? and what country you're from? I'm sorry I have lots of questions.. I just don't have any idea how the process here in Alberta..
thank you very much!

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
Can someone walk me through the general steps of the process of transferring a BSN RN license from Washington state to British Columbia? I am a US citizen/Canadian PR, my husband is a Canadian citizen/US PR. He is the one who will be working in Canada. We have been living in the States for 6+ years and have intentions of moving back in the next year or so. Obviously as a Canadian citizen, he has all the legality of working in Canada squared away - how do we transfer his license to BC so he can work? I understand it takes a lot of time and money. Thanks for your help!