+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Hi canada11
These are competences that they are not able to assessed by seeing you doing them in a room, these are on the job and ongoing tasks that happens in your day-to-day work. eg;

1)collaborate with other healthcare team members to develop healthcare plans. 2)Determine when consultation is required with other team members. 3)Maintain and establish a caring environment that supports clients to achieve optimal health outcome.

I tried to copy and past but it won't let be do it so you can see the list, it is a just bullet points list that they has sent me. I wish i could have post a copy for all to see.

canada11 said:
Thank you iblessed for your experience shared.

What I infer is that , even after passing OSCE , they refer you to gain some competencies through studies. If my understanding is correct, can you please elaborate further about what these "some studies" are for ?

Moreover, your outcomes is in sharp contrast to my expectation as well as that of kreystiyanpoll on the forum that if we passed OSCE we are forwarded to RN-NCLEx exam n passing of which we ultimately granted RN license.

I understand that in your case there was no NNAS.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for sharing, this i have been through as well and was told by one University that i would not be priority for a space because i already have a nursing degree. i have been through the process and that is why i have now taken the RPN route and hoping for the best.

canada11 said:
This is rather a demotivating post from http://allnurses.com/nursing-in-canada/after-osce-is-982796.html

Dear fellow nurses
I am an internationally educated nurse came to canada with high hopes to pursue my career as RN.
But i was directed to do OSCE which i did and was asked to complete two competency gaps (ethical and self regulation) which was only one page when send by the CNO.
I tried york university which apparently was the only university recommended by CNO. and york university offer e programe of 20 months costing 15 thousand tution fee. anyways i tried as there was no other way. but unfortuntly, i was rejected when i demand to know why, they simply said due to the high volumes of applicant, they prefer candidates who have done some nursing relevant courses in canada...ok....so whats next.... i contacted george brown college and it seems they have the courses that york wants....these courses (part time) takes about one and half year to complete....all in all....u need 80% and above in these courses in order to get admission in york....wow....all in all its a 3-4 years of back to school programme for a candidate like me who has been a RN for last 10 years....
i m really confused , dishearted and shattered....i dont know what to do....i have only two competency gaps and i dont think its fair for me to go thru all these hurdles....
please advice or share similar situations ......

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
you will always have competency gaps after osce, then you will be required to take courses. Unless you previously studied in Canada or the USA

kreystiyanpoll said:
Why do the college ask you to take osce in the first place? Because there were identified competency gaps. Because your nursing education is not equivalent to ontario nursing program.
So what's the use of osce? It is an exam for you to show and demonstrate that you meet the ontario rn entry to practice competencies. It is a one time chance for you to demonstrate that your education, training and experience had met the conpetencies of an ontario nursing graduate. So what happens after Osce? They will evaluate your performance. If you successfully demonstrated the competencies, then you will be eligible to take the nclex. If you remain to have competency gaps after osce, then you will be required to take courses.
I know somebody who failed osce and was required to take courses. I also knew somebody who successdully passed osce and was eligible for nclex and now an rn.

kreystiyanpoll

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
I knew some after successfully passing osce, they were eligible for nclex rn. And now they are registered nurses. They did not take any other courses after osce.

iblessed said:
you will always have competency gaps after osce, then you will be required to take courses. Unless you previously studied in Canada or the USA

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
kreystiyanpoll !

Can you please share us their (Nurses who passed through OSCE ) previous education so that we may draw some parallel & anticipate the future outcome.

iblessed!

Can you please share how long ( study duration) the advised courses were and how many courses are there ? From the "one univerity " you mean York University or else ?

Ceecee11

Nov 7, 2014
iblessed said:
Hi Haven't been on this forum for a long time, just catching up with you guys, can I ask what preparation did you do for OSCE as they seem quite vague. I am supposed to be doing it in November but fear I need a lot of preparation before undertaking this. Does anyone know the best resources to use for studying for the exam??

kreystiyanpoll

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
They finished BS nursing in thr philippines

canada11 said:
kreystiyanpoll !

Can you please share us their (Nurses who passed through OSCE ) previous education so that we may draw some parallel & anticipate the future outcome.

iblessed!

Can you please share how long ( study duration) the advised courses were and how many courses are there ? From the "one univerity " you mean York University or else ?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
hmmmm...that 4 years BS as comparison to 3 years Diploma in Nursing possible can be a difference in my case.

kreystiyanpoll said:
They finished BS nursing in thr philippines

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
After going through lot of googling, it has been found that 1-2% of students actually pass OSCE exam.Got the following from other forum.

Don't be discouraged by the low passing rate. I would say go for it! I passed the osce last august. It was tedious and quite hard but can be done!

Few tips:
-Read the standards of care in CNO website as well as the examples
-Review on physical assessment & history taking plus focus assessment
-Watch you tube on how to deal with psyche pts manic/depressive/suicidals
-How to deal with angry pts or relatives
-Health teachings
-Therapeutic communication
-End of life care/palliative care
-Practice in front of a mirror & pretend that you are talking to someone so you can observe your own gestures and tone of voice
-Good communication skills is an asset so practice talking
-Cases are easy its just that its too many and tiring!

Moreover, I , after lot of searching found the following books of OSCE. I actually, ordered follwing books from Amazon.com to arrive next month. Along with that got couple of workshop courses.

OSCE Books
=========

Passing Your Advanced Nursing OSCE: A Guide to Success in Advanced Clinical Skills Assessment (MasterPass) - Ward, Helen
How to Pass Your OSCE: A Guide to Success in Nursing and Midwifery- Bloomfield, Jacqueline
Nursing OSCEs: A Complete Guide to Exam Success - Cabellero, Catherine
Succeed in OSCEs and Practical Exams: An Essential Guide for Nurses - Merriman, Clair

online courses
==============

http://www.pnexam.ca/osce-nursing-exam-prep-course-online-info/

One day workshop
================

http://cncap.ca/exam-prep-course/osce-exam/osce-exam-review-nursing/
http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/M4/Internationally_Educated_Health_Professionals/Sessions/Nurses_IENCAP
https://coned.georgebrown.ca/courses-and-certificates/osce-preparation-for-ien/

7 day course
=============

http://www.nurseseducation.com/PC/osce.html

I love to get input from forum members regarding OSCE preparation.

zairakim

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Hi im newbie here. I'm currently on process of filling out the nnas assessment, i have already paid the fees and was able to see the forms needed. But im just a bit confused regarding the forms coz i have chosen to apply for RN and LPN. So my queries are in every forms (education, registration, employer) that needs to be submitted do i have to have 2 seperate forms for rn and lpn? And if yes, is it possible if ill just put them into 1 envelope for each forms? Thank you :)

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
As far as I remember correctly,in my case, all institutions send the two forms in one envelope to NNAS

zairakim said:
Hi im newbie here. I'm currently on process of filling out the nnas assessment, i have already paid the fees and was able to see the forms needed. But im just a bit confused regarding the forms coz i have chosen to apply for RN and LPN. So my queries are in every forms (education, registration, employer) that needs to be submitted do i have to have 2 seperate forms for rn and lpn? And if yes, is it possible if ill just put them into 1 envelope for each forms? Thank you :)

Ceecee11

Nov 7, 2014
canada11 said:
After going through lot of googling, it has been found that 1-2% of students actually pass OSCE exam.Got the following from other forum.

Don't be discouraged by the low passing rate. I would say go for it! I passed the osce last august. It was tedious and quite hard but can be done!

Few tips:
-Read the standards of care in CNO website as well as the examples
-Review on physical assessment & history taking plus focus assessment
-Watch you tube on how to deal with psyche pts manic/depressive/suicidals
-How to deal with angry pts or relatives
-Health teachings
-Therapeutic communication
-End of life care/palliative care
-Practice in front of a mirror & pretend that you are talking to someone so you can observe your own gestures and tone of voice
-Good communication skills is an asset so practice talking
-Cases are easy its just that its too many and tiring!

Moreover, I , after lot of searching found the following books of OSCE. I actually, ordered follwing books from Amazon.com to arrive next month. Along with that got couple of workshop courses.

OSCE Books
=========

Passing Your Advanced Nursing OSCE: A Guide to Success in Advanced Clinical Skills Assessment (MasterPass) - Ward, Helen
How to Pass Your OSCE: A Guide to Success in Nursing and Midwifery- Bloomfield, Jacqueline
Nursing OSCEs: A Complete Guide to Exam Success - Cabellero, Catherine
Succeed in OSCEs and Practical Exams: An Essential Guide for Nurses - Merriman, Clair

online courses
==============

http://www.pnexam.ca/osce-nursing-exam-prep-course-online-info/

One day workshop
================

http://cncap.ca/exam-prep-course/osce-exam/osce-exam-review-nursing/
http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/M4/Internationally_Educated_Health_Professionals/Sessions/Nurses_IENCAP
https://coned.georgebrown.ca/courses-and-certificates/osce-preparation-for-ien/

7 day course
=============

http://www.nurseseducation.com/PC/osce.html

I love to get input from forum members regarding OSCE preparation.
Thats great Information Canada11. Thanks, but do you know if anyone has done these courses and passed and are they genuine places to do the OSCE preparation at. I rang this institution up and they wanted $1450 for 7 day course and physical assessment course, so quite costly. But maybe its a cheaper way to pass in the long run.

zairakim

Star Member
May 2, 2014
canada11 said:
As far as I remember correctly,in my case, all institutions send the two forms in one envelope to NNAS
Thank you. So do you mean i have to send two forms for my employer, school and the registration, is that right?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Yes two forms, one for RPN & other for RN

zairakim said:
Thank you. So do you mean i have to send two forms for my employer, school and the registration, is that right?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
I got one from kijiji.... she does training for $ 500 spread up over two months includes all materials ... Manpreet Sangha, BSc (N), MSc (N), 647-979-5121. Perhaps in Brampton

I called her , but I still haven't got the dates so she said first get the dates then we can talk. I don't have any about testimonials for her. You may check out though & share your experience ;D

Ceecee11 said:
Thats great Information Canada11. Thanks, but do you know if anyone has done these courses and passed and are they genuine places to do the OSCE preparation at. I rang this institution up and they wanted $1450 for 7 day course and physical assessment course, so quite costly. But maybe its a cheaper way to pass in the long run.

Reactions: shahaed